Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2004 Envoy xl 6 cyl 2 wheel Drive The problem is the rear A/C unit. Front unit is fine. All functions work and blows cold at 42/45 degrees. The rear when you turn the system on usually does nothing but every so often will come to life for anything from 5 seconds to a 1-2 min. then shuts off. Following suggestions I replaced the small control sw. on the console as it was bound up. No change. I then got the fan module for the rear thinking is was bad but noticed that when connecting the old one AND new one back up will get the same momentary results. (P.S. When it works all rear components work.) I did notice that the new one being out of the car the new module got surprisingly very hot. I disconnected and put it away for now as the module in the truck appears good.
Is there a way to check out the electrical side of this? In the console is the rear controller: Temp, Vents and Fan Speed. Also is a module with a data link to the main A/C control up front. ----- HELP!!----- Any Suggestions PLEASE!

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,644 Posts
The module is just a resistor bank and it will definitely be hot when it is in use.

That's why its mounted in the airstream.

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,644 Posts
...........uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

mebbee ................... if in doubt or just plain curious ... pull an Amps-Draw test.

I think it's incredulous to believe that the resistor bank is too hot ... they can melt if they aren't being forcedly cooled by large amounts of air flowing past it all the time.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...........uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

mebbee ................... if in doubt or just plain curious ... pull an Amps-Draw test.

I think it's incredulous to believe that the resistor bank is too hot ... they can melt if they aren't being forcedly cooled by large amounts of air flowing past it all the time.
The fan is spinning and free. I do understand that resisted items get warm when in use. Like I said the front is fine but..... whole rear shuts down. No rear controls work. Plenum servos and all.

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,644 Posts
The fan is spinning and free. I do understand that resisted items get warm when in use. Like I said the front is fine but..... whole rear shuts down. No rear controls work. Plenum servos and all.
Sorry -- that wasn't directed at you ....................

1 - 6 of 6 Posts