Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2009 chevy trailblazer_lt
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to Change the stock HU for a DD unit then upgrade the components and ad a sub/amp, but I'm currently limited in funds until I return to work again following surgery. Looking around in my garage and my old truck, I've got the following and wonder if any of these would be worth the time and effort of transferring to the TB in the mean time. I plan on building a custom enclosure for the 2 pioneers and want to keep as much of the setup as hidden as possible.

Pioneer KDG-300

2 - MTX TS82 8" truck-box

2 - Pioneer 10" sub in custom enclosure (bought them several years ago, not sure the model but I think they are similar to TS-SW251)

VR3 amp 1000w 4 channel Walmart special! :D

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
i dont know what your gonna do with the mtx 8's, but yeah, something better than nothing.

hopefully that custom box has 2 terminal cups :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont know what your gonna do with the mtx 8's, but yeah, something better than nothing.

hopefully that custom box has 2 terminal cups :D
The 10s are both sitting in my garage w/ a box I built for my truck but never got around to purchasing a decent amp so I never installed them. I'm afraid of installing them in the TB because my truck has been broken into 3 times (once at friends house and twice at the grocery store) and I'm worried the TB would fall victim as well. Unless there's some way to hide or disguise a decent sized box I might have to use these somewhere else.

I'm also afraid of installing a DD HU for the same reason, but I was thinking I'd try making a Stock HU cover to hide it as mentioned in other threads.

The MTX boxes were given to me and they are currently installed in my truck. I was thinking I might be able to hide a smaller sealed box with the 8s in it.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,531 Posts
as far as subs and amps goes, you can hide them by simply using the cargo cover. Also a nice dark window tint around the back would work as well

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,968 Posts
as far as subs and amps goes, you can hide them by simply using the cargo cover. Also a nice dark window tint around the back would work as well
yea, hide the amp in the cargo area and then put 20% over the factory tint and you won't see sh*t.....

:woot:

I can't wait to do this myself

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
a good alarm is about all you can do, sometimes tint actually attracts some people. hide the amp in the cubby and use the cargo cover. maybe stick with single din unit for removable faceplate function.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been looking at the single dins and that's more than likely the way I'll go. It's a shame I'm limited by the security aspect.

I want to keep the cargo area clear and usable. I'm really liking the Stealth Sub idea and Might eventually go w/ a single 10" shallow in a fiberglass box.

And it looks like there might be room for an amp under the pass seat.

I keep the TB in a garage, my work is very secure, and I don't visit those friends or that grocery store anymore. I'm just very paranoid after several break-ins.

I actually Caught someone in my truck the last time it happened. They didnt get anything and barely got away, Not pretty. I had my HU chained&locked to the firewall and as an added bonus Ive got a Jesus sticker that reads "thou shall not steal" on my amp. :crackup:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
if someone gets in your truck and cannot get the item out, they usually drive a screwdriver through it out of frustration fyi.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if someone gets in your truck and cannot get the item out, they usually drive a screwdriver through it out of frustration fyi.
I am aware of that but it's better than them making off w/ the item, the jesus sticker is a last ditch. The thief was hopped up on drugs and actually attempted to drive a screwdriver through the owner of the vehicle. Luckily the owner was well prepared :x

You don't bring a knife to a gun fight, and certainly don't bring a screwdriver. :weird:

I'm heading down to the audio store to pick up my GMOS-01 and mounting kit for the HU, (typo in first post HU is JVC) I think I'll eventually upgrade it to a Kenwood Excelon for the USB feature mostly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm Looks like one MTX box might squeeze into the cubby hole till I'm brave enough to build a fiberglass box. I'll have to pull one out of my truck later and check it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts