Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So im going to take off 1 of my damaged side mouldings and i want to see what the paint looks like underneath but i think im going to put a new one back on after seeing how many dings and nicks are out of the plastic i can only imagine what my doors would look like had the side mouldings not been there. What do you guys use to re attach mouldings and badges? I imagine its some 3M product. I would laugh if someone used super glue:crazy:

Also does anyone know if you can take the brushed stainless steel looking plastic piece out of the middle of the side door mouldings? Thats all thats damaged on mine and i would just like to replace that and not have to take it off the door

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
use 2-part epoxy:thumbsup:,,avalible at and ace hardware.....any tape, no matter the brand, is ever gonna stick like the factory stuff...

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2 part epoxy is basically like cement. If i ever have to take it off again its not coming off.

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
2 part epoxy is basically like cement. If i ever have to take it off again its not coming off.
well make up your mind,,do you want them on or off:laugh:,,just messin with ya,,but yes your right,,is you use the epoxy,it IS permanent.

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
So im going to take off 1 of my damaged side mouldings and i want to see what the paint looks like underneath but i think im going to put a new one back on after seeing how many dings and nicks are out of the plastic i can only imagine what my doors would look like had the side mouldings not been there. What do you guys use to re attach mouldings and badges? I imagine its some 3M product. I would laugh if someone used super glue:crazy:

Also does anyone know if you can take the brushed stainless steel looking plastic piece out of the middle of the side door mouldings? Thats all thats damaged on mine and i would just like to replace that and not have to take it off the door
Order 3M 2mm tape from an auto body supplier. Carefully replace the strips as origiinal. Clean the body with alcohol and a lint free rag. Line the molding carefully to the body line (measure off another truck if vecessary) Hand press the molding on. Take a rolling pin and apply 15 -20 lbs force on the roller rolling across the molding. Or buy a new set of moldings and have the dealer reapply . Dont use epoxy.

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
well make up your mind,,do you want them on or off:laugh:,,just messin with ya,,but yes your right,,is you use the epoxy,it IS permanent.
Jay for Gods sake epoxy on the body side paint??/ what have you been smoking??:crackup:

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
Jay for Gods sake epoxy on the body side paint??/ what have you been smoking??:crackup:
well considering me and more members than i can count have used it to reattach emblems/molding,,,,ummmm not really seeing your point nor will alot of others.....now if he's gonna change the look of his truck all the time {sometimes have the trim on and sometimes off},,then yeah you need to make them easily removable, why you would do that, i dont know but hey its his choice,,,,now if he wants it permanent,,uuummmm why not?? thats why its called PERMANENT...if you dont get the "tape" perfect,,it gets moisture behind it and it falls off,,,me i would prefer to do it permanent the first time.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya im definately not doing epoxy aka JB Weld :crazy: That stuff is too sticky but if i cant keep the moulding on there after i take it off than epoxy or caulk it is.

Does anyone know if you can remove the brushed stainless steel looking plastic part from the trim. Theres the color matched plastic part than the stainless steel looking part inside of that that says Envoy on it. Just wondering if u can take that off without peeling the whole black one off as well. Would really appreciate this if someone has done it. It looks to me as tho it could come off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts