Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, I have a question that i would like to hear others opinions before i go out and break something, or spend money on something that wont work.

First of all here are the Specs:
2002 Trailblazer LTZ
Bose Radio
6 CD changer
Onstar
back seat radio controls (not sure what it is called)
steering wheel controls
it has buttons for Band and CD/AUX (one button) on the front

I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge weather if those ipod controllers/players that work through the aux or XM radio controls will work on my 02 trailblazer, because almost all of them say 03+ and i dont know if the difference is significant enough.

the radio has two connectors on the back, one is the basic power/speakers connector, and the other one, well im not really sure what it is use for, i believe it is used for Onstar, and other functions, what i am wondering is if anyone has a pinnout for that connector, i have seen pinouts for the first connector numerous times, but i havn't seen any for the second one, i ask because i have no problem wiring a couple of RCA inputs into it if that is what it takes, also while i have this post going is there any way to connect my phone to it for hands free operation, i noticed the speaker by my left shoulder that i believe is for that, but i just dont know how it is set up.

Thank you for taking the time to read about my problems! and i hope someone can save me a headache.

Mods: if i posted this in the wrong Category, im sorry and if you could please move it.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
192 Posts

the colors on your harness will be different but if you look at it the same way as in the pic . the gray is right pos. white is left pos and the black is common. hope this helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is perfect of what i need, but can you be a little specific. Like so that works for the AUX input on the radio? and most importantly, is there some connection that you my have to make to tell the radio that there is something there, because i know if i try to push the cd/aux button nothing happens(as long as there are no disks in the radio, otherwise it goes to the disk)

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
192 Posts
not sure if anything else needs hooked up. i can check tomorrow at work. i just happen to have that pic on my phone. that harness is from a dual aux input module for gm radios worst case you could use one of those if you had to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have it available to you, could you get the entire pin out of that connector? and i have a feeling that it is probably going to take something to tell the radio that it is plugged in.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
OK, here goes.

Been through this on my 02 with indash changer and Bose. The year and changer kill every aux or iPod input on the market, PERIOD. When you press the CD/Aux button no signal is sent outside the radio, so you can connect whatever you like but it will never get the signal to start outputting sound.

What you need is a wired FM modulator. Do not get the cheapo wireless ones that sound like crap, buy a good wired one and the GM->Motorolla and Motorolla->GM antenna adapters. I bought mine from crutchfield for about $55 shipped 3ish years ago. Works great, and sound quality is very good compared to the Belkin wireless modulator I have (and never use). Not as good as a true aux input (CD quality), but decent (strong FM radio quality).

Never heard of anyone wiring RCAs into the wiring, doubt it would work but if you want to try give it a shot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i already have an inline FM modulator that works, but i dont like the quality, i would like a higher quality, and i lose radio reception with it, so i would like to skip the modulator all together and go strait to the aux, even if i have to make my own, (i hope i can) thanks to the post above i have the pinouts of the lines that i need, but i dont know if there is a line that must recieve a specific signal to accept aux, or maybe a short with a resister in the middle, i have seen both types of setups on other projects, but i dont know what is on this radio, and it is really hard to work without a pinout.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
i already have an inline FM modulator that works, but i dont like the quality, i would like a higher quality, and i lose radio reception with it, so i would like to skip the modulator all together and go strait to the aux, even if i have to make my own, (i hope i can) thanks to the post above i have the pinouts of the lines that i need, but i dont know if there is a line that must recieve a specific signal to accept aux, or maybe a short with a resister in the middle, i have seen both types of setups on other projects, but i dont know what is on this radio, and it is really hard to work without a pinout.
I bid you good luck, I looked at this for a solid 6mo and the best I got was the inline wired FM modulator. I bought a PAC Aux adapter, it didnt work and sat until last March when I got the SS. First thing I did to it, the Saturday I picked it up the aux adapter went in that night.

Wait, how did you lose radio reception with it? Mine has a switch, I leave it off when Im using the radio and turn it on to block all antenna signal and use aux...

I would try and find out how GM outputs the signal to the rear DVD player, thats probably your best bet. Mimic the rear DVD being turned on (but that might just cut the rear speakers, what it does in the SS).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i lose reception, because there are probably too many connectors involved, because the radio antenna has a different connetor than the modulator, so i have two adapters to convert the antenna to the modulator and back to the radio, I also have a switch that i use, and yes i barily get any radio stations. I dont have the dvd player on my truck, so i dont know if i would have those connections or not.

Thanks for the Reply!

·
Registered
192 Posts
looked at that aux adapter (like the other guy said) dont think its going to work. my suggestion would be to just switch out the radio to an aftermarket that has all the features you are looking for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
call me stubborn, (cause i really am) but i like my stock radio much better than any aftermarket radio, although if i do switch it out someday, i will probably switch it out for the same radio, of a couple years newer so i can have my same stock radio feel, while getting my aux inputs that i want.

The part that i hate the most about this whole ordeal, is that i cannot find a pinout of that 12 pin connector anywhere i look.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
call me stubborn, (cause i really am) but i like my stock radio much better than any aftermarket radio, although if i do switch it out someday, i will probably switch it out for the same radio, of a couple years newer so i can have my same stock radio feel, while getting my aux inputs that i want.

The part that i hate the most about this whole ordeal, is that i cannot find a pinout of that 12 pin connector anywhere i look.
You CANNOT do this Im afraid, 02-03 radios are year specific. Maybe if you rewire the connections it *might* work, but I believe the comm lines are different. And even if you do this, you'll still have to buy an adapter.

I like the look of the factory radios too, there are only a very select few I would consider replacing my changer in the 02 for.

Im checking my copy of GM TechLine, let you know if I get those pinouts.

Im still not buying your reception sucks, mine is PERFECT with the switch off (and the appropriate GM->Motorola and Motorola->GM adapters)...have you checked your connections?

EDIT:
Found the wiring pinouts for the rear harnesses. There is no audio in signal anywhere, you'd be splicing in pre-amp and hope the Bose amp ups the signal to a decent strength. PM me and Ill email them to ya.

·
Registered
192 Posts
i will look at work tomorrow and get as much information on the pins for that harness and post them tomorrow night.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ok dont know if this will help but.I have the aux harness here and looking at it. the only wires going to the small harness are the ones i showed you in the pic i posted of it. Just left + right + and common. then there is power and ground from main harness , then there is one more wire from main harness it is in pin a1 directly above the 12v constant(orange factory color) this aux has 2 inputs. I believe that wire tells which one to use and is controlled from the radio, same as you would switch between xm and changer ect. It says to activate the aux functions, press the cd/aux or band button. the radio will display RSE(rear seat entertainment). press the cd button twice.to select between aux 1 and aux 2 press any of the cd control buttons. So not sure if it will work but on paper it seams that you would soldier in your rcas to that harness then just select the RSE and it should work. ( but not all things on paper work in real life) good luck and hope you figure it out

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reattempting this

Ok, I am going to reattempt to do this now.

@s3customs
If you said the pin above the 12v Constant tells what ever device is connected to the radio which aux connection to activate. then which ever device gets activated sends the source through the grey, white, black wires. (correct?) my question is do you (or anyone else) is. How does this pin operate? like if high vs low == device plugged in or not? or if high vs low == Aux1/2 and if this is the case how does it detect if there is an Aux device attached?

And another slightly off base question, how does the radio's security function work... in other words, can i take the radio out and set it on a desk and play with the pins at a desk setting will it brick the radio? or just not function? or would it work fine?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New idea?

Since making the post yesterday i found out about the "Scosche BT1200" and idk if it will work as good as it sounds, or if the quality will be effected since it goes directly to the speakers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts