Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this is my first post... I own a 2003 trailblazer and ever since i bought it 2 years ago it has had a problem with some rattling. The rattling begins under slow to medium acceleration around 2500 rpms and gets worse until about 3250 rpms or until the gear changes. It doesn't happen under somewhat hard to very hard acceleration (or maybe the engine noise just drowns it out). I think it might have something to do with the tachometer or the wires for the tachometer as it sounds like the rattling is coming directly behind the speedo gauges (definitely not coming from the engine compartment). I would post a video of it, but when i tried the sound didnt really come out very well at all so it wouldnt help. The rattling is worse when its colder outside and it lightens up a little when the engine warms up. Its a very annoying noise and any suggestions are appreciated... Also, if you have suggestions to fix the problem can you please explain how or lead me to another thread that will help me out... Thanks!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
It might be the stepper motors in the dash - prove it by pulling the connector off the back of the gauge cluster.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow that was fast haha! thanks for the reply! i just got back to college yesterday and I'm not going home until Feb 18. I started this thread to get a couple of suggestions for this problem so I can try those out when I go home next. I'll let you know how the solutions go when I go home next... Thanks!

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
82 Posts
Hi this is my first post... I own a 2003 trailblazer and ever since i bought it 2 years ago it has had a problem with some rattling. The rattling begins under slow to medium acceleration around 2500 rpms and gets worse until about 3250 rpms or until the gear changes. It doesn't happen under somewhat hard to very hard acceleration (or maybe the engine noise just drowns it out). I think it might have something to do with the tachometer or the wires for the tachometer as it sounds like the rattling is coming directly behind the speedo gauges (definitely not coming from the engine compartment). I would post a video of it, but when i tried the sound didnt really come out very well at all so it wouldnt help. The rattling is worse when its colder outside and it lightens up a little when the engine warms up. Its a very annoying noise and any suggestions are appreciated... Also, if you have suggestions to fix the problem can you please explain how or lead me to another thread that will help me out... Thanks!
I believe my Voy does same thing. it's almost sound like crunching tissue paper in the speedo cluster area.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sorry for the late reply...
It sounded more like a rattling, like a woodpecker far off in the woods or so...
In April my dad and I were rotating the wheels and noticed that the front driver-side fender had a clip broken off that holds it to the wheel well. We put on a clip to hold it in place and since then there has been no rattling coming from what seemed to be behind the gauge cluster. Thanks for the replies though! Not sure why it rattled more in colder weather, or maybe it was just my imagination....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts