Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Trailblazer EXT - V6
I hear a somewhat loud rattling/clanking noise coming from under the truck when pressing the gas lightly (800 - 1200 RPM). Happens whether in Park, Nuetral or any other gear. Otherwise truck seems to be running fine. Started to notice a couple months ago at cold start up, now seems to do it all the time, even after running. At hight speeds or rpm, all is fine.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Trailblazer Achilles Heel

Well, I did some investing and troubleshooting based on other posts on this site and have determined that it's a water pump bearing(s) going out. I found that if I wiggle the fan (with truck off of course) it has plenty of play in it. I have already been thru the fan clutch going bad two years ago (they also reprogrammed the PCM) and had a thermostat replaced last year (under extended warranty) guess the dealer mechanic might have used too much force … based on what I have read brute force can damage the water pump. Or it could just be old age, 5 years/86K miles on the water pump, typical of Chevy/GM… :hissy: extended warranty is over and now I have to replace the water pump. Does anyone thinkg I should forgo the expense and have the FAN CLUTCH replaced again... I assmue the one the put in a couple years ago is still okay... I am not sure if the failing water pump would damage it or not...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts