Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard a rattle noise the other day when i hit a little bump in the road. it only rattles when i hit a bump. i dont know where its comming from but it sounds maybe like the heat shield? any suggestions on where its comming from?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
160 Posts
If it is coming from the front end it could be the sway bar links.
That what is was with my Envoy.

When you go over a bump listen and try to figure out if the rattle happens when the front end hits the bump or when the read end hits a bump.

·
Registered
2007 gmc
1,244 Posts
it's most probably the sway bar end links... a good taste is to try get underneath the truck in the front, look for where the sway bar connects the sway bar links, and bang them from underneath... if they make a "clacking" sound, then they're worn... if u haven't changed ur sway bar links yet, then they are gone :p

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey guys thanks for the info. im going to check it out tomorro. ill let you know what happened.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
32 Posts
I had a tinny rattle coming from under my tb. The heat shield for the cat is held against the body with cheap washer clips. Push them on and the inside edge grabs. Used a deep well socket that fit over the stud and pushed the clips tight. Haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
37 Posts
I've noticed a rattle also....

I have noticed a rattle also. Mine is coming from the back. I am having the hardest time figuring out what it is and where it's coming from! I did the suspension and sawybar but it doesn't sound like it is any of those. It almost sounds plastic, not a metal sound. I thought that maybe the spare tire somehow got loose, I re-tightened it, but the noise is still there.
Could it be the swaybar (Hotchkis) due to it being a bit larger. Maybe hitting the trailing arms or tranny? I looked but it's not showing any signs of touching any other parts..
Could the rear bumper be getting loose??
I am only noticing it at lower speeds, when I enter or exit a driveway or go over bumps/ or pot holes in the road..
Once on the highway - nothing!

Anyone have any ideas??

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
91 Posts
Rattle

Check the shield for the gas tank. Mine was loose at 30k miles and rattling. Same lousy push nuts and even tightly seated the shield was rattling. I took some closed cell foam and stuffed it behind one corner and it hasn't rattled since. Get under there and start knocking/tapping on stuff and you'll find out what it is...

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
18 Posts
rattle under car

I have been trying to find that rattle also. Finally took it to Chevy dealer. Told me it is the sway bar links. $400 to fix it.
'02 TrailBlazer LS 4x4

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Resonator

Found the problem in my TB ...

There was something loose inside of my resonator. You would hit the resonator and it would make the noise, and everything on the exterior was tight. So, easy fix, cut the resonator off, and just put a straight piece of pipe in it's place. No more rattle, and a better sound too! I am wondering if this will change anything with my gas mileage or not.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
303 Posts
My Envoy and my friends TB had a noise that sounded like suspension problem. Turned out to be the rubber stoppers on the hood. Just added some dielectric grease.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
My TB does the same thing A LOT!! squeaks when I go over bumps, i've tried finding the problem myself but nothing... i think that im going to just replace the whole swaybar, link ends, and bushings with moog.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,046 Posts
My TB does the same thing A LOT!! squeaks when I go over bumps, i've tried finding the problem myself but nothing... i think that im going to just replace the whole swaybar, link ends, and bushings with moog.
I put in Moog end links, and they only lasted 23,000 miles, worse than OEM. In addition, they were a real PIA to grease. Trying to determine what I will change over to now.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I put in Moog end links, and they only lasted 23,000 miles, worse than OEM. In addition, they were a real PIA to grease. Trying to determine what I will change over to now.
I just bought a front and rear end-link set from energy suspension they have poly urethane bushings and so on, i got 2 end links, 2 swaybar bushings, and a bar that goes through the bushings for 24.95 EA for each kit and i got a front and a rear kit. And they come with installation directions for your car specifically so that's a bonus!!:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey guys i found the problem.. the heat shield is resting on the muffler and everytime i hit a bump it bounces up and clinks against it... i saw that it is held up by a bolt but it rusted through the heat shield at that point. any suggestions on how to keep it off the muffler?

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
87 Posts
rear sound

I've got a little rattle sound under the back of my bravada.
Thought it might be the heat shield. Same problem I had
with my Ford Ranger, which I just removed and tossed because
it needed a weld to secure.

I'll check it out before I hit the road tomorrow and post
what I find.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
626 Posts
i also have a rattle.... checked all the suggestions in the posts and am totally clueless.... i have new endlinks >100 miles on them so i know its not that, but checked anyway. I also checked all the heatsheilds. Found some a little loose and tightened them up still rattles.

Thought maybe a u-joint but i'm pretty sure its not that.

EDIT:

Well after 2 hours of going over the entire tb i found the problem.... One of the sway bar end links bolts wasn't tight. :duh: It wasn't loose or sloppy to the touch but when i disconnected the sway bar bushings i could see that the bolt that goes thru the swar bar was not turning with the bar like the other side. When I installed I used a torque wrench and everything. Went over the rest of them and still tight. Just thought I would share my story.:sleepy:

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
87 Posts
sway bar..

Trailblazzin-
was it the rear or front?

I know it can't be at my front since I installed
new bushings and links. I'm gonna take a look at
the rear ones.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
14 Posts
2002 Trailblazer rattle

I chased this noise for quite some time. With the help of the other posts, I found a loose heat shield over the spare tire (by the exhaust where it crosses the axle) that was hitting the track bar above the spare over the rear axle. :crazy:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
626 Posts
Trailblazzin-
was it the rear or front?

I know it can't be at my front since I installed
new bushings and links. I'm gonna take a look at
the rear ones.
It was the rear. I had rattles before but then when I installed all new links it went away. Only to come back in 100 miles. Just the nut was loose!!

I chased this noise for quite some time. With the help of the other posts, I found a loose heat shield over the spare tire (by the exhaust where it crosses the axle) that was hitting the track bar above the spare over the rear axle. :crazy:
I also noticed this. The peices of plastic didn't hold it very tight. I took them out and put some rubber washers behind them. Not loose anymore. I also wedged a peice of foam between the gas tank and shield in one spot where it rattled a little bit. All of this was before I found the reall problem. The loose nut.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts