Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my factory radio in my o2 tb ls has quit on me. I had it out the other day when i was fixing a cracked ac control unit. when i hooked everything back up the radio would light up but no time displayed, no turn on, and no sound. Anyone have any tips on what it could be? I have checked all the fuses and they are all good. Let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
349 Posts
The faceplate backlighting is on a separate circuit from the radio's power, ground, and serial data.
I suspect you may have bent a pin reconnecting the radio - check the following pins at the light gray radio connector:
PIN; WIRE COLOR; CIRCUIT
B1; ORG; Battery
A12; BLK/WHT; Ground
A1; ORG; Serial Data (Class2)

A failure in any of those circuits will cause the radio not to function (but the faceplate backlighting will still work).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the pins. the all looked good and fit right. still nothing...

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
How did you check the fuses? With a meter? Check the battery pin on the head unit with a meter - Orange - B1. The radio gets turned on by a serial data message from the BCM, so also check BCM fuses - basically anything with the letters "TBC" in the fuse chart.

For extra credit - research what the acronym "TBC" stands for. ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I just pulled them out and made sure none were blown and that they were the right size and everything was in the right spot.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TBC-Terminal Buffer Controller? or the fail safe... to be continued.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok well i got me a new tester light. The connector that goes into the back of the radio is where i tested first and found that I am getting power from the battery power wire but not the other power wire. where does this wire go or to what fuse? thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not sure what pin but it is the orange wire. ill go take pic and post it for you. and im thinking its the battery wire cause it lights up the tester light even when car is off and key is out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is the plug im talking about

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
now i may be wrong as to which wire it is that does what (battery or other) so if anyone knows which is which for sure or could let me know where that wire leads to or if to a fuse, what fuse does it lead to? Thanks

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
This is an example of why test lights are misleading. Meters are only $1.99 on Harbor Freight when they're on sale, and only $5 otherwise. The orange wire with power is a serial data communication wire that goes all around the vehicle and lets the modules talk. It would have a fast digital signal on it - sometimes high and sometimes low, and a meter would average it out and give you some reading like 5 or 7 volts. If you put the meter on the AC scale it would have some significant reading like 3 or 5 volts. On a true battery power wire, it would read 12V on DC, and 0 v on AC. Your test light is probably a bit dimmer when looking at the data communication line than it is looking at a battery power wire. But the slight change in intensity is hard to see. With a meter it's instantly obvious.

Anyway, the lower wire should have battery power and you have a wiring problem or a blown rear fuse #41. Meters are also better for testing fuses than a test light, since you can test for continuity on a resistance scale when it's not plugged in.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I have finally gotten it. Apparently I had a short in my battery power wire. Since I have no idea where the short is at i spliced in a connector wire from the cigarette outlet so that it will have full time power. Also, I took the remote wire out of the back of the radio and ran it around to the back fuse box under the fuse for the windshield wipers. Everything works great and thanks to everyone for your help. :thx :woohoo:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The final item installed and working.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha yea you are right originally I was trying to fix my radio since i thought there was something wrong with it. However, once I discovered that it was just a power issue and not the radio I figured; "Heck I've got everything out and unhooked and now would be a great time to put in a new one since I've been wanting to for a while." so I did. And so now I have a Sony (Indeed not stock...) installed and my old one either destined for Ebay or a shelf back at home.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts