Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 LS base model is crying for a new radio. It's down to two speakers and sometimes only one working.
I've been combing through the catalogs and am experiencing pure bewilderment.
What type of head unit fits and looks nice?
An android/iphone system looks attractive, and I am capable of doing it myself, but many of them look like they "overflow" the factory hole with their moveable faces. I don't need that fancy.
I basically want one that connects to the phone and has basic radio/navigation capabilities.

Anyone wish to brag about theirs (with pics)?
Not looking for over-kill sound or expense; just looking to upgrade a 15 yo vehicle.

I need some direction.
Thanks

·
Registered
2007 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3
34 Posts
I have not bought it yet, but this is what I am going to get for my Envoy Denali.

It's the Alpine ILX-W650. Has all the functions you mentioned but doesn't hang out of the dash like some do. Not over the top expensive, but has a nice balance of features.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oh I forgot the really neat part. With no disc player it has a very shallow mounting depth and you can mount and actual amplifier in the dash right behind the head unit.

Communication Device Gadget Portable communications device Mobile phone Telephony

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have not bought it yet, but this is what I am going to get for my Envoy Denali.

It's the Alpine ILX-W650. Has all the functions you mentioned but doesn't hang out of the dash like some do. Not over the top expensive, but has a nice balance of features.
^ this

·
Registered
34 Posts
My plan is the 650 head unit and the kts-450 powerstack amp for the front and rear S series component speakers. S series 12in sub and a S-A60M mono amp. Not insane cost wise.

·
Registered
2003 Chevy Trailblazer LT
389 Posts
My plan is the 650 head unit and the kts-450 powerstack amp for the front and rear S series component speakers. S series 12in sub and a S-A60M mono amp. Not insane cost wise.
I wouldnt mind doing door speakers and an amp for the door speakers but I dont want subs because I need the cargo space. My radio was 1700 $ total with install and the harness and the steering wheel control. I got it a few years ago and at the time it was the top of the line pioneer. It has the built in gps but I wouldnt get it again. All you need is apple car play to use google maps with. I just got the pioneer 4500 for my cruze eco. Ill post some pics later today.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
10 Posts
My 2006 LS base model is crying for a new radio. It's down to two speakers and sometimes only one working.
An android/iphone system looks attractive, and I am capable of doing it myself, but many of them look like they "overflow" the factory hole with their moveable faces. I don't need that fancy.
I basically want one that connects to the phone and has basic radio/navigation capabilities.

Not looking for over-kill sound or expense; just looking to upgrade a 15 yo vehicle.

I need some direction.
Thanks
Check out Crutchfield, they show what fits/install kits/speakers and all!

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
16 Posts

I need some direction.
Thanks
Yes, they show a bewildering array of stuff that "fits".
I was asking the Forum for kits which look sanitary - and I thank those who did.

I need some direction.
Thanks
Are you sure you have a radio problem?
GM speakers are notorious for going bad.
You are describing exactly what happened to my 08 TB, and it was a speaker problem and not a radio problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are you sure you have a radio problem?
GM speakers are notorious for going bad.
You are describing exactly what happened to my 08 TB, and it was a speaker problem and not a radio problem.
I had the same speaker-loss problem with my 2008 Trailblazer. In 2016, I replaced the original stereo with a "Pioneer FH-X520UI" (which fit like a glove) , and once that was done, I found that the problem was with the original GM speakers , so I ordered 4 new "Kicker 40CS674" speakers, and that solved the issue.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Musical instrument accessory Automotive design Audio equipment

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Rim Circle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts