Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my new (2006) Trailblazer from the dealer yesterday, and took it for a long drive. (300 km). After driving a Dodge Grand Caravan for years, it was nice to get back into something with some style and class.

On the way home last night, dark, cold and pouring rain, my wife reached over to change the radio stations and commented on how hot the radio was. I placed my hand within 2" and you could feel the heat.

Is this normal? I adjusted the dash lights down, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
172 Posts
Totally normal. From what I understand, the TB radios just run really hot. On cold night's I've used it to warm my hands. You can also bring bread along on long, overnight rides and make toast for morning breakfast.

Because of the heat, I would be careful about putting original CD's in there. CD's aren't meant to take that kind of heat. I always use a copy, though lately I've been using my ipod more.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,339 Posts
:iagree: that it's kind of normal.
I think they lose air though the ductwork behind the dash.
I've noticed that on long drives with the heat on the radio becomes extremely hot.
Then on nice days when the heat is completely off, the radio doesn't get very warm.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Radio burning up....

Thanks, two responses both assuring me that this is normal. If we could only harness that heat for something good.

Heat and electronics is never a good thing, but if this in standard, then who am I to judge?

Tobruk

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
33 Posts
I hope this isn't to off topic. Delco radios from '91-'92 (not sure the first year) had a rear cooling fan on the upper series CD and/or Cassette players . This was a good idea given the confines of most new design dashes that a heatsink alone would do the job. I haven't seen the back of a 2000+ to know if the fans are still used. My '02 Envoy has the Bose option thus eliminating the amp in the radio cutting down some on generated heat. But you're right the faceplate is still warmer after a long drive than the older radios.

Also it was in this time frame ('89-'90) they switched from replaceable bulbs to soldered LEDs for illumination. It's amazing the number of them in the earlier versions. This in theory will help in reducing heat also. My guess it comes down to ease/cost of manufacture.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Coolram62

What amazing me is about the website... now that I own one of these vehicles, it is such great wonder that I have the support, not only of the manufacturer, but of actual owners and their history.

Thanks for your reply.

Tobruk

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
481 Posts
My TB has done it since the day I drove it off the dealer lot...nothing to worry about.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
My 02 6cd changer gets super hot, and yes it has most definitely warped/bubbled some CDs Ive burned. It did it this summer when I was running the A/C all the time but in 80F+ weather and sitting outside all the time.

Cant comment on the Nav HU in my SS, that touchscreen is friggin huge! And I use an aux adapter to run my mp3 players, leave the Nav DVD in there (maybe Ill burn a copy of it, just in case?).

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Radio burning up....

Okay people... I am a new Trailblazer owner.... thanks for your input, but if you really want to know how your SUV will hold up under realistic miles... keep tuned...

All the rest of you that want to relate to persons 40+ that live North Eastern USA or Canada, keep me posted.

Tobruk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts