Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The driver side boot on the rack is leaking oil. can u simply replace the cylinder seal or do u have do replace the whole rack and pinion?
thanks

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
37 Posts
im having the same exact prob and it gets worst i learned that when you park your car if you turn you wheels to the right. it slows the leak

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
127 Posts
Just replaced mine last saturday $355 + $115 core at autozone. Dealer is like $900 for the rack. Kind of a pain to replace, both boots were leaking losing about a quart a month. The after market ones are a lot better. If you have an 02 you need to find out if you have the 14mm or the 16mm tie rod ends and you'll have to get an alignment after.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so im guessing u cant just buy a seal and replace it ???:hissy:they have to make everthing expensive!!!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
127 Posts
My buddy is a GM mechanic, he charged me $200.00 for upper and lower ball joints both sides, drivers axle seal, pinion seal, rack & pinion and while he installed those, I changed the motor oil, front and rear diff oil, and the transfer case. After watching and helping it really wasn't that bad. No special tools to replace the rack, just a tight squeeze.

I don't think you can replace any seals, its probably cheaper to replace the entire unit with a lifetime warranty than to try to rebuild it.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
37 Posts
My buddy is a GM mechanic, he charged me $200.00 for upper and lower ball joints both sides, drivers axle seal, pinion seal, rack & pinion and while he installed those, I changed the motor oil, front and rear diff oil, and the transfer case. After watching and helping it really wasn't that bad. No special tools to replace the rack, just a tight squeeze.

I don't think you can replace any seals, its probably cheaper to replace the entire unit with a lifetime warranty than to try to rebuild it.
Sounds good my buddy is a mechanic and he thought it was some kind os specialized tools and a lot of work I'm gonna do it this weekend. I've had to fill the resevoir like 1 to 2 times a day. I appreciate the help

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
127 Posts
the ball joints and the axle and pinion seals needed special tools, but not the rack. you have to remove the cross member, then its 2 bolts that hold the rack in, a bolt that holds the plate with the in out lines, and the steering boot. What year is your trailvoy?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
37 Posts
the ball joints and the axle and pinion seals needed special tools, but not the rack. you have to remove the cross member, then its 2 bolts that hold the rack in, a bolt that holds the plate with the in out lines, and the steering boot. What year is your trailvoy?
Its an 02 envoy 14mm tie rods (per my measurements)

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
37 Posts
Update

hey update guys.. me and my mechanic buddy changed the rack and pinion unit. it took about 6 hours but we got it done.. no special tools are needed but suggested.. also if you choose to do it yourself have someone with a bit of experience to help you through it
for startes you have to
1. remove axles in order to get to the rack
2. you have to remove the bottom shield under the car as well.
3. you have to disconnect your tie rod ends
4. then you remove the two bolts from the cross member thats holding the rack also do not forget you have to remove the two lines connected to the rack
4. once out do everything in reverse and fill your resevoir. there will be air in the rack so the resevoire will flow over a couple of times..now everything is all set.
sorry im lazy dont feel typing more PEACE OUT!!:thx

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
could replacing a inter tie rod cause a leak?

i had the one replaced on my driver side now its leaking from the rack and pinion? could the guy who did it mess something up?:mad:

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
I starting to have the same problem with the fluid leaking out of the boots. Do you have to change the hole rack or is there parts to do it

·
Registered
7 Posts
could replacing a inter tie rod cause a leak?

i had the one replaced on my driver side now its leaking from the rack and pinion? could the guy who did it mess something up?:mad:
that should not of caused the rack to leak unless it already had a a leak and now your just noticing i would def go and talk to that guy about it

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
122 Posts
that should not of caused the rack to leak unless it already had a a leak and now your just noticing i would def go and talk to that guy about it
I'm kinda guessing that he figured that out about nine years ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts