Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:hissy:

Ok this will most likely my lasts posts about this truck as this truck has now put my life in danger once again and needs to be put down

Before selling it to a dealer in exchange for anything not designed in North America, I need to know if people here have had their rack and pinion replaced a few times already? This will be the 4th one in less than 3 years

Why I need to know? I would prefer see it crushed and loose the 7k they are giving me than to sleep at night wondering who's the poor bastard that will end up risking his life

Anyhow the first rack was the original that started leaking from the top at 60k and then the 2 rebuilt failed at their 5k interval, now this one was a brand new one from GM, and boy are they expensive, well I barely gave me 15k and this one too is leaking from the top, part from the original they all gave me the same symptoms before failing.

Imagine me driving along "lalalala" and then stopping at a red light, flasher blinking right and as I am starting to turn the steering just locks and starts to have an epilepsy attack, steering pump cries for mercy almost instantaneously... I press on the brakes, let engine on idle, start forcing the steering wheel to turn, it finally gives in and then it leaks like a woman who just broke her water.

Anyone have this happen to them? A FEW TIMES ???

or is it just me ? and this truck just needs to see the crusher, just too many issues, most of them don't even get here because I fix them even before I need help in understanding why such or such part would fail on a truck

and then you have my neighbour who owns a 1994 toy of a 4runner where he NEVER had any issues, ok bloody thing lacks power and has barely enough torque to get out of a good old montreal snow bank , but still I should know, I’m the one who does his oil changes brake pads rotors and whatnot, I was proud when I showed him my TB now when I look at him I know what he is thinking when he sees me pop the hood every two other week :worried:

I know a lot of people are blaming union workers pension plans and other poor corporate decisions for GM's failing, personnaly after seing my family and friends have so many issues with GM DODGE FORD cars and trucks and then mostly having smiles when they went to the japanese side of things, i'm wondering what do they know about builing things we don't ? from what i heard even their damned buildings are built better and safer than ours....

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
257 Posts
Go to search. Enter, rack and pinion. it's a common problem with 02 Envoy's.
I think it's time to sell it for part's or trade it in. That's my opinion.:bonk:
Good luck!

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,240 Posts
How long ago did you install the GM rack? I think GM parts have a 12 month warranty and possibly a lifetime on parts like a rack generator, starter, etc. I can check for you. I hope you still have the recept, it'll make this easier, especially if I (you) know the date it was purchased. Let me know the part number. I'll read through the GM P&P manual and see if it is listed as a covered part. As far as it being a "new" GM rack, that part does not exist. They are all reman units. The only way to get a new rack is with a new vehicle. You may want to consider installing an inline filter and do a fluid change as part of your routine maintainence schedule. Same as flushing the brake fluid at least yearly.

Not to start a pissing match, but, the foreign made vehicles are not much better. Do you think Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, MB, Kia, Porsche techs sit around all day and play cards? They are fixing them, with their many issues. As far as a warranty goes, lots of luck getting anything covered after the original bumper-to bumper warranty expires on a foreign badged vehicle.

Let me know if I can help.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
mine failed at about 65-70k and the reman I got is still kickin @90K

who did the install? Could fragments from the previous failures have gotten in the lines ands doomed the new racks?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How long ago did you install the GM rack? I think GM parts have a 12 month warranty and possibly a lifetime on parts like a rack generator, starter, etc. I can check for you. I hope you still have the recept, it'll make this easier, especially if I (you) know the date it was purchased. Let me know the part number. I'll read through the GM P&P manual and see if it is listed as a covered part. As far as it being a "new" GM rack, that part does not exist. They are all reman units. The only way to get a new rack is with a new vehicle. You may want to consider installing an inline filter and do a fluid change as part of your routine maintainence schedule. Same as flushing the brake fluid at least yearly.

Not to start a pissing match, but, the foreign made vehicles are not much better. Do you think Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, MB, Kia, Porsche techs sit around all day and play cards? They are fixing them, with their many issues. As far as a warranty goes, lots of luck getting anything covered after the original bumper-to bumper warranty expires on a foreign badged vehicle.

Let me know if I can help.
Thanks, i know what you mean, all cars from all brands have their issues, but by the time i see one of my friends bring in theirs for something that's actually broken (head gasket, seals, rack and pinion) it's my opinion a domestic vehicule would probably have been rebuilt frrm the ground up, i had a dodge ram 1500, the thing was powerfull, but also had it's hood open every two weeks, previously i owned a dodge stratus, things had its hood open every other day, dad used to have a impala police edition, hood open every other day also....

at least now it confirms my toughts, it's time for a change, i must now consider if i trade it in and live with myself, or just enjoy filming the whole thing while it's being crushed

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mine failed at about 65-70k and the reman I got is still kickin @90K

who did the install? Could fragments from the previous failures have gotten in the lines ands doomed the new racks?
Before installing the rebuilt racks i did a flush of the little oil that was left in there, and then when GM did it, i have no idea, the only reason why i went with gm the last time is that i said to myself that after 2 failures i was probably doing something wrong, so i let the "PROS" do it....

HA what a mistake, the damned thing barely did 3 months and had cost me one bill

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks, i know what you mean, all cars from all brands have their issues, but by the time i see one of my friends bring in theirs for something that's actually broken (head gasket, seals, rack and pinion) it's my opinion a domestic vehicule would probably have been rebuilt frrm the ground up, i had a dodge ram 1500, the thing was powerfull, but also had it's hood open every two weeks, previously i owned a dodge stratus, things had its hood open every other day, dad used to have a impala police edition, hood open every other day also....

at least now it confirms my toughts, it's time for a change, i must now consider if i trade it in and live with myself, or just enjoy filming the whole thing while it's being crushed
This is so true, I usually trade in my vehicles every 3 years, So I have purchased many cars the past twenty years.. While my TB has had a few problems, It has been no worse, then the past vehicles I have owned incl, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru ,VW and BMW

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The steering rack has a lifetime warranty. Labor is only 12 months. I confirmed this by reading the latest GM P&P manual. If you have your receipt from the install, you can get another rack from GM, but you will have to install it.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
1) Are you installing the original 2002 weaker unit with the 14mm tie rod ends, or the upgraded 2003+ units with the 16mm parts? They redesigned it for a reason.

2) What specifically is failing all these times? A seal?

3) Have you tested the steering pump pressure or ever replaced the pump? I would guess a pump with high pressure could blow racks apart.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1) Are you installing the original 2002 weaker unit with the 14mm tie rod ends, or the upgraded 2003+ units with the 16mm parts? They redesigned it for a reason.

2) What specifically is failing all these times? A seal?

3) Have you tested the steering pump pressure or ever replaced the pump? I would guess a pump with high pressure could blow racks apart.
I guess it's the 2002 units, because my original tie rods fits, i know i once received a rebuilt unit with the 16mm ends and was WTF///

for the pressure you got me, but then again since i brought it to the dealer should'nt they of checked it ?

I'm always blowing the upper seal where the steering column attaches

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I guess it's the 2002 units, because my original tie rods fits, i know i once received a rebuilt unit with the 16mm ends and was WTF///
I would have gone :woohoo: Perfect time for an upgrade!!!!
for the pressure you got me, but then again since i brought it to the dealer should'nt they of checked it ?
:duh: Sorry. What WAS I thinking! Of course the dealer checks things for free outside the thing you've paid them to replace. They are always interested in getting to the root cause of failures that are costing customers their hard-earned money.

Seriously, that's a discussion you need to have with the service dept. Management.
I'm always blowing the upper seal where the steering column attaches
Ohhh, that's the punch line to a joke I can't repeat outside the Plat. section.

But doesn't repeat instances of "blown seal" just scream out "too-high fluid pressure" or "misaligned shaft" or something other than a bogus run of remanufactured racks? :confused:

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
3,700 Posts
I'll take it off your hands for $500... Don't worry... I'll go with a completely different steering setup with the SAS it'll get... :D

No, really... The binding up thing would lead me to believe that you've got some shavings in your system (which is not being completely flushed or replaced when they put the new rack in), which are destroying your new racks... Same thing happens when you trash a PS pump... If the rack isn't flushed REALLY WELL, the shavings from the old pump (in the rack) will be run through the new pump, and will destroy it in short order (same thing with not flushing the cooler when a transmission grenades)...

Mike

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would have gone :woohoo: Perfect time for an upgrade!!!! :duh: Sorry. What WAS I thinking! Of course the dealer checks things for free outside the thing you've paid them to replace. They are always interested in getting to the root cause of failures that are costing customers their hard-earned money.

Seriously, that's a discussion you need to have with the service dept. Management.Ohhh, that's the punch line to a joke I can't repeat outside the Plat. section.

But doesn't repeat instances of "blown seal" just scream out "too-high fluid pressure" or "misaligned shaft" or something other than a bogus run of remanufactured racks? :confused:

Well i dunno, when i got the first rack and saw the ends were not teh same size i figured they had sent me the wrong part, i was not aware there were another set of tie rods available, and i just saw the price....ouch....

for teh high pressure issue, i'll have them check it tomorrow and try to get it done free of charge, i know my name is probably in their computer as a trouble maker ever since my last encounter with another gm dealer in the region, so i'll see about that,

good one about the seal, ;)

mis-aligned shaft ? how does that work ?

as i've previously said, anything to do with steering and suspension is not my forté, i'm more of the inner engine electronics type of guy...

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll take it off your hands for $500... Don't worry... I'll go with a completely different steering setup with the SAS it'll get... :D

No, really... The binding up thing would lead me to believe that you've got some shavings in your system (which is not being completely flushed or replaced when they put the new rack in), which are destroying your new racks... Same thing happens when you trash a PS pump... If the rack isn't flushed REALLY WELL, the shavings from the old pump (in the rack) will be run through the new pump, and will destroy it in short order (same thing with not flushing the cooler when a transmission grenades)...

Mike

Dealer is giving me 7k for it in exchange for an x-terra 2006 and an extra 6k

at least there's a lot of after market support on that one....:worried:

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
3,700 Posts
Dealer is giving me 7k for it in exchange for an x-terra 2006 and an extra 6k

at least there's a lot of after market support on that one....:worried:
yeah, that's the standard joke in a lot of the forums I'm on... "sell it", or "I'll give you $50 for it"...

Do check the rest of my post, though... I've seen this happen to other things several times...

Mike

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
on the xterra, make sure it does not have the timing chain,, tensioners problem that are known problems..
I've been lurknig around some terra forums, not as well done as this one, but aftermarket parts are available it's nonsense how much support this other soccer mom suv has

superchargers
headers
lift kits

but before getting into another set of issues, this time i'm doing my homework

so right now i'm debating over the xterra or the grand cherokee diesel 3.0l

two different approaches i know, but the bio diesel route seeems soooooooo

CHEAP

lol

·
Registered
2007 isuzu ascender
403 Posts
ive been living the 4.0 timing chain problems with my work truck,,new timing chain and tensioner twice in 38,000 miles..and if its on your dime your talking 1400.00 to 1800.00 dollars.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well that was nice, dealer no longer wants the TB, when they replaced AGAIN the rack and pinion they told me that i was better off selling it to someone, ok well i tried selling it, but it's hard when there are little puddles of oil everywhere i go and now the rack is leaking again, I've had them checked the pressure of the pump and he said there was nothing unusual, as for the shavings i asked him and he said it would cost me another 100$ for the labor, but he also said that it's not metal parts going but rubber seals...i am at loss here, my driveway looks as if a ford stood there for the last 10 years. but i do have a new symptom, i have a burnt oil smell coming from underneath the truck now, where the rack sits...i was told that maybe the return valve on the pump might be faulty, well, i've took a long hard look at the pump and all i can see is that the return hose goes straight into the reservoir, it does'nt seem that there is a return valve on the pump itself....anyone here has a good knowledge on how the rack and pinion/pump operates on our trucks ?

because i am at a point where leaving the truck on neutral down an a slope going into a lake seems pretty good

anyone has good or bad words on grand cherookees 2007 ?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
Did you seperatly flush out the power steering cooler up front? I just remembered we have one. Also, not sure if our racks have pressure regulators at the line fittings like some racks I've done. If our trucks have one that must be transfered over and it wasn't done, every swap afterwards is doomed.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.