Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please help me out and explain to me what the following option codes actually mean?

6SK - COMP FRT LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP
7SJ - COMP FRT RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP
8EX - COMP RR LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP
9EX - COMP RR RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP

And if I have the following, is it full time? or only when I select AWD or only when I select 4HI or 4LO?

G80 - LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL-REAR AXLE

I have figured out what most of the other option codes mean (i.e. They pretty much say what the are)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,113 Posts
G80 is the posi-rearend...it is what is called a locking rear differential

how this works is that when yu press the gas pedal, power is sent to both rear wheels evenly...many of us ( including myself) do not have this G80 option, meaning that we only have power being sent to our rear passenger side wheel, also sometimes called 'peg leg'...one tire spins the other does nothing

hope this helps :tiphat

btw the G80 is good to have...esp in harsh conditions or wen traveling offroad :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,240 Posts
Could someone please help me out and explain to me what the following option codes actually mean?

Broadcast codes for the springs and their location.

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts

And if I have the following, is it full time? or only when I select AWD or only when I select 4HI or 4LO?

I have figured out what most of the other option codes mean (i.e. They pretty much say what the are)

I can't seem to find those RPO codes listed anywhere and like you said .... they are not self explanatory.

The G80 is not engaged until there is one rear wheel that slips. Then it locks the other wheel to gain traction. It will not lock at higher RPM or while making a turn.

The Roadie had a great link to a video showing how it worked and how a 4WD is almost impotent without it. It makes a 2WD truck very good in snow and other poor traction areas.

The G80 is not linked to the 4wd controls as it operates fully on rear wheel slippage regardless of 4wd operation. :m2:

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
607 Posts

Oh how I wish I had the G80! :hopeless The computer senses differences in rpms of the tires and applies the lockup at preset speeds and amounts (less than 20 mph, I think) so that both rears are pulling with the same amount of torque. When they equalize or drop below the parameters for lockup, it returns to an open differential so your tires can turn at different speeds. It is full-time, but enhances the 4/Awd functions. Many posts on here about the G80, seek and you shall find. Or you can visit the Eaton website and it has info on it as well.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
G80 is the posi-rearend...it is what is called a locking rear differential

how this works is that when yu press the gas pedal, power is sent to both rear wheels evenly...many of us ( including myself) do not have this G80 option, meaning that we only have power being sent to our rear passenger side wheel, also sometimes called 'peg leg'...one tire spins the other does nothing

hope this helps :tiphat

btw the G80 is good to have...esp in harsh conditions or wen traveling offroad :thumbsup:
I understand the whole concept of the locker (I'm a former Jeep owner and had front and rear installed). I just wasn't sure if it was a posi-rearend or if the locker was a parttime that engaged only in 4 LO or something.

Thank you for the information.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Wow. A technical thread that started and almost ended before I woke up today. :D

I can't add much except these tidbits. The G80 is reputed to be a weak link in many GM vehicles, but it's a generic RPO code that can be fulfilled by a host of possible hardware units. Our Eaton unit had had a couple of members report damage over the years, but it doesn't seem to be as fragile as folks worry about. Or else we're more careful to not be spinning the wheels at full throttle and let it engage with a bang. I'm especially careful to modulate the throttle on hillclimbs when I know it's going to be needed. See this youtube video for some locker action, reflected also in front wheel slowdown due to the transfer case 50-50 torque split:

The issue of the coil spring codes is that the design team wanted to "optimize" or standardize the ride no matter what options were installed at build time, so there was a parts bin of over a dozen choices for each of the springs front and back! The spring rates varied by almost 1/3 from stiffest to weakest! So the production scheduling computer looked at the options, engine size, whether or not it had a transfer case and front diff, and then chose the springs. Unnecessarily complex, IMHO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts