Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new envoy and I am looking to get a new stereo system. I would keep the bose system but it just isn't enough for me. I plan on getting new door speakers, sub, and a new head unit (preferrably Avic Z3). I was just wondering what all I would need to hook all of this up. Would I need to rewire the door speakers? There are just a lot of little questions that I know will be involved once I get into the installation process. I just want to know what I am getting myself into before I start installing. Any info. and advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
for the headunit your going to need an adapor if you want to keep your door chimes and onstar, if you have it. and your going to need a switch for the DVD function if you go with the double din headunit. u didnt mention amps, so i would get one for your door speakers. you dont need to rewire it unless you really want to. i think stock wires are good up to around 150rms.

welcome to trailvoy, once you get some more posts you'll be able to use more funtions like the search.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I didn't think I would need to rewire enverything, but I wanted to ask some people who actually knew. I thought I would need a few adaptors, but I don't understand what you were talking about when you said I need a switch for the GPS. Could you tell me the part number if you know it off the top of your head? Thanks

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
i cannot watch a movie while you are driving. one of the grounding wires must be attached to the E-break. with the switch you can watch the dvd while your driving.

unless you want to be legal, you dont need it.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm definetly going to get the bypass so I can watch movies while driving. I'll pay the extra $30 or so to be able to do that. I just can't see myself paying over $1000 dollars for a CD/DVD/GPS HU if I can't watch movies on it. Thanks for the info. So do you plan on bypassing it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I keep reading up and there are so many great posts! I am planning on buying the AVIC-F900BT and am trying to read up on how to install this. I keep reading about the bypass. I try to go to the link avic411.com and it keeps saying not available. Basically I am just looking for the best advice on how to install it. My main thing is bypassing the parking brake mainly so I can have the passenger update directions if need be. I say that because I have seen too many times while traveling wanting to change something and you want to update and can't.

I love this site and glad to be on it. I will keep looking but any advice please give it to me. I've done lots of installs but the parking brake thing is what I don't know how to do. Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,294 Posts
I just bought a new double din unit too and I am not sure about all the things either. I know you need to get a GMOS-04 adapter. that keeps the door chimes and onstar stuff etc. that is about 50 bucks shipped on ebay. best buy charges 150. you also need an antenna adapter about 4 bucks on ebay best buy charges 10 and i dont know what else..install kit 10 bucks on ebay best buy charges 21...haha..i am still learning too. i bought a dvd/cd/mp3/bluetooth (no navi) 4x65 surround for $195. All about saving some money. I just got it today and it looks pretty sweet. good luck with everything and welcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah...there site shows upgrading right now, so that would explain it. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the bypass for the parking brake. Thats really my main thing I don't know how to do.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I got the Avic-F700 and got the aftermarket wiring harness for it to replace the stuff. However when I hooked it up, the sound is only coming out of the front no matter how I hook up the wires and cuts out after it gets above a certain level. Did I do something wrong? Is the stereo defective or maybe the wiring chime harness? It isn't very loud when the chimes come on either. Please help! I was so excited to get this installed and now can't get the sound to work. I even did the reboot.

·
Registered
2007 chevy
247 Posts
So I got the Avic-F700 and got the aftermarket wiring harness for it to replace the stuff. However when I hooked it up, the sound is only coming out of the front no matter how I hook up the wires and cuts out after it gets above a certain level. Did I do something wrong? Is the stereo defective or maybe the wiring chime harness? It isn't very loud when the chimes come on either. Please help! I was so excited to get this installed and now can't get the sound to work. I even did the reboot.
Is it a Gmos 04?? My first unit did the same crap, had to get a replacement gmos 04 and it worked........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts