Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting a bunch of new audio stuff in the mail tomorrow and I have some questions.

First off, I've installed my F90BT nav head unit, current coax speakers, and sub/amp setup myself with no problems so I figure I'd give the component's/second amp install a shot to save some money on installation.

I bought:

- 2 sets of Polk audio 6501 comps

- Alpine MRP-F600 4 channel amp

So far I understand the following about the installation:

1.) I need two RCA cables that will connect to the Front and Rear Outputs on the Pioneer NAV and run to the RCA inputs on the amp.

2.)Splice the remote line from my other amp

3.) Use a distribution block (Fused or unfused?) for 12v power with 4Ga wire using an existing, common 12v source (already connected for my sub).

4.) Same ground source as my existing amp? Doesn't seem like it would matter.

5.)The last part I'm confused about is the speaker outs on the amp. I know ill need 4 sets of (+,-) speaker wire to tap into the door speakers.

My question is, do I tap into the speakers behind the dash by the HU or do I tap them somewhere in the doors? I saw the Article about tapping the rear speakers in the rear Pillars, but it doesn't say anything about tapping the front speakers. Am I missing something? Can someone please fill me in on how to properly tap the speakers?

Other than that I just was wondering If it's better to place the tweeters down low by the speakers, or up high by the door handles or up on the dash where bose puts them. Oh, and where do you guys mount the crossovers?

(I don't have Bose, but I have Onstar, just to clear up the possibility of tapping the bose amp wires)

Sorry for the long post, but I want to get this install done before I go away this weekend.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
113 Posts
one thing i can help you out with, is that most people put there tweeters on the front pillar in between the windshield and driver/passenger window just because it sounds much better there in my opinion.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
I bought:

- 2 sets of Polk audio 6501 comps
first your gonna have a fun time finding a place to mount the tweeters in the back. coaxils in rear, fyi.

So far I understand the following about the installation:

1.) I need two RCA cables that will connect to the Front and Rear Outputs on the Pioneer NAV and run to the RCA inputs on the amp.

2.)Splice the remote line from my other amp

3.) Use a distribution block (Fused or unfused?) for 12v power with 4Ga wire using an existing, common 12v source (already connected for my sub).

4.) Same ground source as my existing amp? Doesn't seem like it would matter.

5.)The last part I'm confused about is the speaker outs on the amp. I know ill need 4 sets of (+,-) speaker wire to tap into the door speakers.
1. you need one set of 4 channel rca's

2. yes, or just run another wire from one amp to the other, no spicing necessary, unless you really want to.

3. fused is un-necessary for your application. i used a fused because i have a battery in the back and my mono uses an external fuse.

4. yes it is. if you feel like its not, you'll be on here agian within minutes complaning about static.

5. you run the speaker wire to the crossovers and then from the xovers to the midrange and tweeter.

or you can run the speaker wire to the factory wires behing the HU.

I saw the Article about tapping the rear speakers in the rear Pillars, but it doesn't say anything about tapping the front speakers. Am I missing something? Can someone please fill me in on how to properly tap the speakers?
thats for getting a source, if your using the factory HU.

Other than that I just was wondering If it's better to place the tweeters down low by the speakers, or up high by the door handles or up on the dash where bose puts them. Oh, and where do you guys mount the crossovers?
i have mine in the factory bose location (up by the front window). i thought about putting it up in the a-pillar, but its just more work.

Sorry for the long post,
yes. :D

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I bought that same amp very nice, but anyways you do need 2 sets of RCAs 1 front the other rear. Also you will need to run 4sets of speaker wire I ran my 2 all of the doors instead of running them behind the headunit simply because I upgraded the wire to a 14g (for more current) instead of the 22g that the factory uses. I pulled the running boards and ran my front driver speaker wire down the left side through the dash and into the original wire place, the front pass. down the left side and through the original wire place, and the rear in the headliner down the B pillars in through the same place they ran the original wire.

As for you tweeters its more or less where you think they sound great, try moving them around to see where you feel you get the best sound. I put mine in the dash where the bose is suppose to go real easy and sounds excellent. I don;t have rear componenets yet but I would prob. put them in the B pillars if they are like mine you can angle them towards the rear pass. but I def. put them in the pillars fills out more. :m2:

·
Registered
242 Posts
they sell some stuff called "speedwire" which is 9 wires in one big jacket (about the size of 4 gauge) and it's awesome, when I had my TB I ran it behind the H/U and tapped into existing factory wires there. didn't have to splice into doors at all.

it's 4 +/-'s for the door speakers and a remote wire, really good for installs ... looks clean too.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for clearing a lot of that up. I'll try different locations for the tweeters to see where they sound the best.

And I was just confused about the whole tapping wires in the pillars because i didn't realize it was only for when you have a stock HU. Now it seems to make sense that you would just come off the crossovers to the the amp :duh:

Now I just gotta find a place that doesn't charge $50 for one pair of RCA cables...cough*bestbuy*cough

1 - 7 of 7 Posts