Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had my serpentine belt (03 EXT) changed last week while vehicle was in for some other work (I noticed it was starting to crack some) and now when I take off / accellerate out of, say, my driveway or parking spot (either reverse or forward) I get squeal / belt slip (that only last for 2 or 3 seconds at most - then it stops.

Another thing I noticed is it only happens when vehicle is 'cold' -- after I've driven a mile or so it doesnt make a sound.

is slip normal when you first get a new belt?

·
South Chapter
4,487 Posts
I've had this problem on my S-10, I put a generic belt on and it was a continuous whine / squeal. I tried belt dressing but it just made a mess, I ended up putting on a Gates belt and all the problems went away.

·
Registered
89 Posts
had my serpentine belt (03 EXT) changed last week while vehicle was in for some other work (I noticed it was starting to crack some) and now when I take off / accellerate out of, say, my driveway or parking spot (either reverse or forward) I get squeal / belt slip (that only last for 2 or 3 seconds at most - then it stops.

Another thing I noticed is it only happens when vehicle is 'cold' -- after I've driven a mile or so it doesnt make a sound.

I sent you an email with a PDF on what you might do to diafnose your problem.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
303 Posts
I put a Gates belt on too with no problems. Did they put the right size on, I know that the ones they use on our vehicles are very close in size.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts

I'd be willing to bet they put the wrong belt on your EXT. The EXT takes the 90.5 inch belt, the others take the 91.5. I found this out the hard way. The 91.5" belt will fit, but it stretches the limits of the tensioner.
When I changed mine, I got the 91.5" belt and the tensioner was really noisy. After doing some research I found that MOST of the books and data bases are wrong. It has nothing to do with the size of your alternator, it is whether you are EXT or SWB. I found one place that had it right! (Dayco). Goodyear and others have it wrong.
http://www.mvreader.com/multiview/dayco/catalogSearch.php?autoCatalogSearch=1&make=CHEVROLET&model=TRAILBLAZER&year=2005&year_from=&year_to=&engine=B2A&l=

After researching I found the difference between the I6 in the EXT and the I6 in the SWB is the power steering pump. All other items with pulleys are the same part number (at least for my 05).

A new belt should NEVER slip. If anything it will be tighter than the old one which would have stretched a little over the years/miles.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=38199&highlight=belt
See especially posts 8, 10 13, 15, 16, 17

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A new belt should NEVER slip. If anything it will be tighter than the old one which would have stretched a little over the years/miles.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=38199&highlight=belt
See especially posts 8, 10 13, 15, 16, 17
Makes perfect sense - thanks.... actually I think what I was hearing was power steering related (i.e. my initial description of getting it when accelerating from, say, a parking spot, or my driveway -- where Im always executing a turn -- i.e. who backs straight up then drives off - that would get you nowhere! -)

I checked the fluid and it was low so i added some... drove it a bit more this am and was careful not to turn so sharp that I'd put a heavy load on the belt - will play with it a little later today -- but DID notice that where I had been hearing it from my driveway wasnt a problem at all this AM.

Question: if (when I test it out this AM) it turns out that when I turn wheel to left or right as far as it will go, and get the squeal, what could that mean? The pump is going bad? The belt is a problem (even though the sound isnt generated at any other time?)

- Thanks

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
are you asking how hard it is to change the serpentine belt?
if yes.. its actually pretty easy....

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Makes perfect sense - thanks.... actually I think what I was hearing was power steering related (i.e. my initial description of getting it when accelerating from, say, a parking spot, or my driveway -- where Im always executing a turn -- i.e. who backs straight up then drives off - that would get you nowhere! -)

I checked the fluid and it was low so i added some... drove it a bit more this am and was careful not to turn so sharp that I'd put a heavy load on the belt - will play with it a little later today -- but DID notice that where I had been hearing it from my driveway wasn't a problem at all this AM.

Question: if (when I test it out this AM) it turns out that when I turn wheel to left or right as far as it will go, and get the squeal, what could that mean? The pump is going bad? The belt is a problem (even though the sound isnt generated at any other time?)

- Thanks
You really should not turn the wheel full lock. Most belts will squeal when held at full lock. And it is bad for the PS pump.:m2:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
serpentine belt - how much play?

How much play should be in the serpentine belt (i.e. should it be 1/4 inch or there about? etc.)

Also how easy or hard is it to adjust how tight the belt is? What tools are needed and do I need something to measure torque or something to do it correctly?

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,852 Posts
There is no way to adjust the belt tension. That is what the belt tensioner does. If the belt is too lose, the tensioner has to be replaced.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
Or you have the wrong belt, which is more likely. As I recall, there is something like a 90 inch belt and a 91.5 inch belt. Be sure you have the correct (shorter) belt. There is a recent thread that addresses this issue. Do a search for it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
belt size

Or you have the wrong belt, which is more likely. As I recall, there is something like a 90 inch belt and a 91.5 inch belt. Be sure you have the correct (shorter) belt. There is a recent thread that addresses this issue. Do a search for it.
Whoa... I think you have something there... Im looking at my bill and now I see where they have the following item listed :

- 915K6 Poly - Rib Belt

NOt sure about the naming nomenclature but based on your email Im thining that the '915' is a reference to the length of the belt (i.e. 91.5 in.???)

Just read over that thread and think this is my problem.... now, question - when I go back to the repair shop If they give me bull about their having read the specs / resources that say 91.5, is there some place I can point them for the CORRECT info?

I dont want to leave them room to give me the runaround.... did Chevy put out any sort of updated info on the issue / problem with the incorrect size being in manuals, etc.?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
The short version is that the SWB (short wheel base) vehicles take the 91.5 inch belt, the EXT (both with I6 engine and 150 amp alternator) takes the 90.5" belt.

The difference between the two is the power steering pump pulley. I've researched this at length.

There shouldn't be very much play in the belt, but as the others have said the belt tensioner takes care of that. If you aren't getting any squealing or slipping, then I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
That's it. Short truck, long belt. And there used to be a tension range molded into the tensioner. It showed when it was time to change the belt. Right now it is too late and too cold to go out and check. Tomorrow, maybe.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
The short version is that the SWB (short wheel base) vehicles take the 91.5 inch belt, the EXT (both with I6 engine and 150 amp alternator) takes the 90.5" belt.

The difference between the two is the power steering pump pulley. I've researched this at length.

There shouldn't be very much play in the belt, but as the others have said the belt tensioner takes care of that. If you aren't getting any squealing or slipping, then I wouldn't worry about it.
that's backwards from the the OP is having a problem with. His/her Profile shows a SWB and as long as they installed the correct belt there should be no problem. So either the tensioner crapped out or the OP has an EXT

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
that's backwards from the the OP is having a problem with. His/her Profile shows a SWB and as long as they installed the correct belt there should be no problem. So either the tensioner crapped out or the OP has an EXT
I'm not so sure the op even has a problem. It sounded more like some questions to me. I didn't hear anything about slipping or squealing of the belt - only questions were:
"How much play should be in the serpentine belt?"
"Also how easy or hard is it to adjust how tight the belt is?"

" . . . as long as they installed the correct belt there should be no problem."

Exactly what I was saying.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have both the swb and ext vehicles, this problem is with the ext though... it was slipping when I start the vehicle and back out of driveway....

Problem was indeed the wrong belt.... took it and when they started to try to give me bull I just showed them on their own computer where it lists the right belt for my vehicle.

Thanks to you guys here on Trailvoy, its running smooth once again!

turns out they put the WRONG BELT on my vehicle..... they put the 91.5 inch belt on instead of the 90.5 inch one...

Apparently this mistake happens a lot for ext owners.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts