Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
21 Posts
I recently purchased a 2005 GMC Envoy XL SLT with the rear seat entertainment (DVD player)

I read on here that you can put in aftermarket stereo and maintain the DVD through the headphones, but I don't see anyone reporting *how* to accomplish it, I'm not a professional with this sort of thing, but I'm fairly good at it (if I do say so myself).

I'm curious as to how to accomplish that, as well as what some of the other limitations may be. I do see how to tap into the rear speakers, and will likely work towards that at some point.

I'm picking up a used AVIC D3 with all the bells and whistles this evening..
The unit, plus bluetooth, XM, Rear camera, iphone/ipod and such...

I know I'll need a Class II data device, I'm curious which one would be the best, I do eventually plan on using the OnStar, and do have the Bose sound system (I'm not sure which one though)

any help would be appreciated.

in digging it looks like I'll need this:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pacos2bose.html

plus the CM1 at the bottom, is that correct?

I am not sure due to the "applicatoin guide" showing the 2000-2004 TB SLT but the 02-07 TB regular.

Plus this for steering wheel controls:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...c_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

PAC SWI-PS Sony and Pioneer Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface

I've installed those in a Scion in the past, it needed soldering and such... is that the case with the GM version?

·
Registered
2006 chevy
2,079 Posts
i was under the impression that this was not possible
IT should work with the Headphones, No changes needed. The Overhead DVD transmits a RF signal to the headphone and allows the movie to be heard. Swapping headunits just takes away the RSE feature of playing over the factory Speakers

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The shop manuals shows the DVD player being powered by constant battery power. But to avoid running down the battery, it will only power up in run, accessory, or RAP modes. Since the DVD player has no access to what mode the ignition is in, it has to communicate on the serial bus to ask the some module that does know whether it has "permission" to power up when you hit its power button.

If I had to guess, I would think a standalone DVD player might power up if it asks the BCM for permission to wake up, and not the OEM head unit. Hmmmmm. Interesting.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
2,079 Posts
interesting...
I read this thread:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=53482

which implies that the "screen" is powered separately from the dvd player.

All I really want is to play it on the headphones. I plan to pull the rear speakers into the whole system per the instructions on here.
Correct, my post above said it will work, you will just loose the RSE feature in the radio.. YOu will only hear the Overhead DVD through the Headphones.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool, thanks that's exactly what I was hoping for.
I'll have to work towards tieing in the rear speakers with the front stereo then too.

I'm guessing I'm correct then too on the modules I need,

the OS-2Bose, the CM1 and then the SWI-PS?

·
Registered
2006 chevy
2,079 Posts
cool, thanks that's exactly what I was hoping for.
I'll have to work towards tieing in the rear speakers with the front stereo then too.

I'm guessing I'm correct then too on the modules I need,

the OS-2Bose, the CM1 and then the SWI-PS?

They are correct. Thank god there is some room in factory dash, cause I have 3 adapters connected to my Headunit and it gets a bit cramped.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are correct. Thank god there is some room in factory dash, cause I have 3 adapters connected to my Headunit and it gets a bit cramped.
lol yeah, I know, I pulled dash apart a little bit to see what kind of room I was working with and was more impressed than I was expecting to be.

guess I have a weekend project now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts