Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my pcm over the weekend. I didn't notice that much of a difference with it vs the way it was before the install. Also it did not have me do the Security Relearn process. Once I installled the new pcm, I hooked everything back up then the Envoy just started right up no problem. I thought that the security relearn was something that is supposed to happen. Also I have not had the case learn done yet so that may help with the performance of the vehicle. Just was hoping that you guys could help me out with some of my questions.

Thanks

TJ

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
If the PCM you got from PCM4Less was brand new, then there is not a security relearn necessary. A CASE relearn is always necessary when installing a new PCM that has not already be synced with your engine.

Also, after you have the CASE done, give it a tank or so before you should really start noticing the difference. Ohh, and what stage shifts did you select? Anything lower than 2 and you probably will not notice it as much.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah they sent me out a new pcm. Well that explains the security relearn process. I know that a CASE learn is necessary but unfortunately I didn't have the time to get to the Shop to get this taken care of yet. Weather up here has not been cooperating very well either. I can definitely tell a big difference in the way it shifts. Just not much in the way of performance yet, the CASE learn will hopefully resolve this issue though.

Thanks for the info.

TJ

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
Yeah they sent me out a new pcm. Well that explains the security relearn process. I know that a CASE learn is necessary but unfortunately I didn't have the time to get to the Shop to get this taken care of yet. Weather up here has not been cooperating very well either. I can definitely tell a big difference in the way it shifts. Just not much in the way of performance yet, the CASE learn will hopefully resolve this issue though.

Thanks for the info.

TJ
Hey TJ,

I'm sure you will hear from "the man" in good time .

The case learn will not improve performance. Sorry :(

It just allows the computer to re-establish or establish a relationship with the PCM to give you error codes for misfires.

B

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if the computer is unable to correctly detect misfires then it is my understanding that it can retart timing which in effect will decrease performance.

please correct me if i am wrong here.

TJ

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
346 Posts
if the computer is unable to correctly detect misfires then it is my understanding that it can retart timing which in effect will decrease performance.

TJ
Correct.

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts

TJ
Kelly at PCMforless said:

The only way you need a CASE relearn with us is if you use the Core Program. On our core PCM’s, we disable the check engine light for the CASE relearn code (P0315) so that it is not an eyesore if you can’t get to the dealership right away. While it doesn’t affect performance, you need to have it done as soon as possible.

Just quoting the lady.

Cheers,
B.

·
PCMForLess.com - Sponsor
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
877 Posts
Kelly at PCMforless said:

The only way you need a CASE relearn with us is if you use the Core Program. On our core PCM’s, we disable the check engine light for the CASE relearn code (P0315) so that it is not an eyesore if you can’t get to the dealership right away. While it doesn’t affect performance, you need to have it done as soon as possible.

Just quoting the lady.

Cheers,
B.

Actually I wil have to have her correct that.. or wait never mind we can't edit post after 24hr.. stuiped rules on the website.

Anyway, not having a case relearn can definately negatively affect fuel mileage AND performance.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
346 Posts
Glad you corrected that, Alvin. It most certainly will.

Furthermore, why exacerbate a potential issue by turning off the check engine code? That doesn't seem like a very smart move to me.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys,

I am not sure if I have another problem going on here or something. I went to GM to get the Case learn done, and the PCM will not allow one to be done. I have left a message for Alvin at PCMforless, and will keep everyone updated on what happens. So far still no increase in power or anything other than the little quicker shifts.

Hope i get this worked out soon.

TJ

·
Registered
91 Posts
i've been thinking about getting a tune for a min. now but everytime I jump on here I keep seeing ppl with troubles.... what gives

·
Vendor
2007 chevy
486 Posts
I spoke with TJ today...

I don't believe it is a problem with the PCM, as the PCM would not stop you from doing a CASE relearn, even if it were locked (which it's not). I think it's a problem with the dealership or the tech 2. Anyway he is going to send in his original PCM and I am going to tune that so he doesn't need the CASE relearn in the end.

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle
728 Posts
is that Tech 2 the same tool as the OBD II ?? if we own an OBD II can we follow the direction that come with the tune, and do the CASE relearn our selves ?

·
Vendor
2007 chevy
486 Posts
is that Tech 2 the same tool as the OBD II ?? if we own an OBD II can we follow the direction that come with the tune, and do the CASE relearn our selves ?
No. You need a Tech 2. OBD II is just a name to describe the kind of data communcation you have (On Board Diagnostic II vs. the older OBD I). That just means it can read an OBD II car. A tech 2 is a kind of GM scan tool.

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle
728 Posts
Kelly thanks for the info, most of the shops I've called lately say only the dealership is the only place they know of that can do a CASE relearn. I wonder how much that is ? or if i could pull a tech aside and buy them 2 cases of beer for doing my CASE relearn lol , I wonder ? :undecided

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Kelly thanks for the info, most of the shops I've called lately say only the dealership is the only place they know of that can do a CASE relearn. I wonder how much that is ? or if i could pull a tech aside and buy them 2 cases of beer for doing my CASE relearn lol , I wonder ? :undecided
Anyone with a Tech II (or certain other high end OBDII programmers, not readers) can do it. If you can talk a tech at the dealer to do it for a couple cases, that would be awesome for both of you b/c it doesnt take more than 10-15min and they charge like .5hr @ $75+/hr. Ask and see, it cant hurt anyway.

·
PCMForLess.com - Sponsor
877 Posts
i've been thinking about getting a tune for a min. now but everytime I jump on here I keep seeing ppl with troubles.... what gives

There's a couple things that cause all the issues here. Jumping the gun, not following the instructions with the PCM's, or something not related to our service at all. Try to find a issue that wasn't resolved quickly on this website. I hate the way this is.. but I guess its just the way people are sometimes. IF you want to try one of our services or products know that we offer a money back guarantee that your happy with it. I think you'll also find that we have a pretty stand up customer service attitude and come to help right away should there be an issue. I just with people would try asking us before posting their problems to the world here.

·
PCMForLess.com - Sponsor
877 Posts

Actually most nice modern OBD2 professional scan tools can perform a case relearn. If you want a easy way to ask just tell them that you replaced a Crank Position Sensor and it calls for a CRANK ANGLE RELEARN after words. That should ring some bells!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts