Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
Yeah you can get just a G80 installed in your TB a competent axle shop can do it in maybe a day or in 1/2 a day or so. Like a shop here in Vegas called Dave's Driveline deals only with axles and well driveline parts and they quoted me before about 300-400 for everything to install one in my TB.
I have assumed that the axle housing for the G80 with the 8.5" ring gear is larger than the housing for the 8.0 inch ring-geared open differential. Am I mistaken? Is the axle housing the same, whether you have an open diff or the G80? I ask because I have an axle housing from my 2003 Envoy that had an open diff--I sold the pumpkin but still have the housing and axles and calipers and mounts. I was going to scrap everything, but if they are the same, then...:undecided

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
What I sold was the carrier with the ring gear attached, and the pinion gear. I guess I have always used "pumpkin" to refer to the carrier with the ring gear attached. I've also referred to it as the "center section". Perhaps I've been mis-using those terms all my life. Too soon old, too late smart.

I didn't know there was a G80 for the 8.0" gear. I thought that to get the G80 you had to move up to the 8.6" differential. Now I know. Thanks.

So, I have the housing for the 8.0" diff, the axles and the calipers and brackets. Any reason to save them, or should I scrap them? If somebody wanted to pick them up, they could have them for free!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts