Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are planning a couple of days in the Niagara Falls area, but we need to be in Wisconsin on Thursday for the funeral of my grandmother.

The shortest/fastest route is along I-94 through Canada.

I know that we can get into Canada with picture driver's license and birth certificate, but does anyone know if that is sufficient to re-enter the USA on the other side?

Thanks in advance! We've been trying to find this out, and the government double speak is really confusing!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
Before June 1, it looks like the old rules (notarized birth certificate plus a photo ID) still apply.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/land_travel/

On June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens returning home from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda, by land or sea, will be required to present one of the travel documents listed below. Many of these documents are already available, and obtaining one now will ensure that you are ready on June 1, 2009, when they will be required.

U.S. Passport – This is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies a person’s identity and nationality. It is accepted for travel by air, land and sea.

U.S. Passport Card – This is a new, limited-use travel document that fits in your wallet and costs less than a U.S. Passport. It is only valid for travel by land and sea.

Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) – Several states and Canadian provinces/territories are issuing this driver’s license or identification document that denotes identity and citizenship. It is specifically designed for cross-border travel into the U.S. by land or sea.

Trusted Traveler Program Cards – NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST enrollment cards can speed your entry into the U.S. and are issued only to pre-approved, low-risk travelers. The cards are valid for use at land or sea; the NEXUS card can be used in airports with a NEXUS kiosk.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Roadie... That is the same info I've found online. Some say that you can do it with just a picture driver's licence and original birth certificate.

Our state (Kentucky) does not issue the enhanced driver's license, and it is too late to get one, even if they did.

Guess we'll take I-90 via Cleaveland and Toledo and stay in the states.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,513 Posts
Sounds like all of your Niagara travel will be during the month of May. If so, a birth certificate and photo id is all that is required.

I was into and out of the US last week and that is all I used.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
331 Posts
I didnt have any id

It might have changed but we took a random road trip to Niagara Falls a few years ago and i didn't bring my wallet (we were going somewhere that we weren't supposed to be at night and if we got caught i was giving a fake name). So I hid in the back and got in to Canada but got caught on the way back. It was only like half an hour at immigration and they let me in the guy said they can not deny you access to the US if you are a citizen. They asked me stuff like my high school my zip code area code for my town my social and DOB and what i was doing there. So long story short they wont deny you access back in the US as long as you answer their questions correctly

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We're having the cancel the Niagara Falls part of our trip. The logistics just were not working out no matter how we wrangled stuff. We're sad, but we'll pursue our passports and visit Canada properly one day soon.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
425 Posts
i cross in to canada regularly.(i live in buffalo and cross in to niagra falls once a month at least) until june 1st you dont need a passport. just the dl and birth certificate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.