Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I have a 2005 trailblazer (4.2 V6) for which I have changed the water pump 2 times since owning it. As the pump begins to go bad the idle in the car gets rougher and rougher. When I replace the pump it cures the problem until the bearings start to go. I have been replacing it with a $30 water pump from the local auto parts store.

My question is does anyone have a recommendation of a great water pump that has great bearings that will not wear down over the course of 2 years? Any suggestions are appreciated.

I will share that I have been to rockauto.com and there are several options listed there for my vehicle. One of them is an ACDelco part that is around $80 and it says it has quality bearings. Not sure if this is just an overpriced replacement based on the brand or if that is the route to go. As I said, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Advance Auto carries a German part by GMB or GNB for around $40 or so, well made new and not a return.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
98 Posts
I bought a cheap water pump from Autozone. It failed after about a year but it had a life time warranty, so they gave me another one... I've learned that on repairs that are complex and you don't want to do again, use quality parts.

PS. After replacing the water pump the the first time, I notice an engine vibration above 3K RPMs. When I replace the water pump the second time, the vibration went away, so the first one must have been out of balance.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
I used a Bosch #96166 that I got at Pep Boys 2 years ago and its been fine. No seeping or vibrations or nothing. It's currently $46 but Pep Boys is currently switching to a house brand so who knows how many are left.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7 Posts
I'm getting ready to order another water pump for my envoy and I was wondering what is the difference between the AC Delco Professional #252822 ($36) and AC Delco GM Original Equipment #251731 ($84). That's quite a difference in price. Is the original equipment that much better? My last water pump only lasted 40k that my mechanic put on so I want to go with the best water pump that I can get this time.

And also on the fan clutch, does Behr make Hella? The AC Delco GM original equipment fan clutch is so expensive so was thinking about going with Hella?

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_lt
11 Posts
I have exactly the same question!

I'm getting ready to order another water pump for my envoy and I was wondering what is the difference between the AC Delco Professional #252822 ($36) and AC Delco GM Original Equipment #251731 ($84). That's quite a difference in price. Is the original equipment that much better? My last water pump only lasted 40k that my mechanic put on so I want to go with the best water pump that I can get this time.

And also on the fan clutch, does Behr make Hella? The AC Delco GM original equipment fan clutch is so expensive so was thinking about going with Hella?
I have exactly the same question!

·
Registered
2008 isuzu ascender
989 Posts
I would get the $80 one . this is not a job you want to do again. I am still on my original at 120000 miles and still seems solid. No wobbling at all . Also keeping the coolant changed will extend the life . I would never go to 150000 miles with coolant like they claim it can go . I don't know what the difference is , you would have to call rock auto or whoever you are buying it from . Maybe one has a guarantee and one doesn't .

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_lt
11 Posts
Yes, thats what I did, and 150K on coolant? no way, I flush every other year or sooner, better be safe than sorry

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,204 Posts
I've had good luck with Gates water pumps purchased from NAPA. Currently I have them on 3 vehicles with zero problems over the last 7 years. If I recall, the water pump for my TrailBlazer was about $50 and came with a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
2004 buick rainier
1 Posts
The answer to the differences in the two AC DELco's is.... The professional has a cast impeller and comes with a paper gasket, the oem has a fabricated sheet steel impeller and comes with the upgraded gasket like the one that is on waterpump from factory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts