Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So from what I've heard, is it correct that the Z71 shock is smaller than the perch it bolts too? I tried to search for this and only have what chewy and gordino? (sorry if i butchered it) stated. I have seen many people here in the off-road section with this rear setup. Any insights that may help me out? If this is true are stacking washers the bet way to overcome this obstacle? Or has anyone found bushings that fill the gap? :thx off-road gurus. :hail:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I just used washers that came with other shocks I hadn't used over the years. You might look in auto parts stores.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
215 Posts
i used the stacked washers method and so far it worked well. haven't been off road with the set-up yet, but just got done putting 2,000+ miles on last weekend and there isn't anything loose.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, sounds like washers it is. does anyone happen to know the correct size since i don't have any lying around? Ace hardware can hook up almost anything, i just need the size to ask for and how many i'll need.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
294 Posts
I just stacked washers as well and have been through about 3000 miles. And i have been offroad with them and everything is good.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am just going to stack washers and put the Z71 shocks in if I have some time this week. I will take pics and post the size of washers I used.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i got the Z71 shock installed this morning, but didn't have a spring compressor to get the Z71 springs in. :hissy:
hopefully i can get it done tonite after classes...

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,329 Posts
You don't need a compressor to put the z71 springs in the rear. Disconnect the axle at both ends, it will allow you to lower it enough to where the springs just pop out and the z71s pop in... Stockers and Z71s are same height uncompressed...

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
294 Posts
:iagree:
Only took about 30-45 minutes for mine to get done, easy out and easy in.

heres a couple of pics of the washers for the shocks.

·
Registered
2004 non_gmt360 other
609 Posts
Do the Z71 shocks work better than the stock billsteennsss ?
I just picked up a set of the springs and the shocks came free (according to the guy on ebay, the shocks are what I paid for and the springs came with them). Probably install them this weekend.

I have the suspensionmaxx 1.75 lift up front already. Has or is anyone running the Z71 springs with a spacer lift together ?

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 non_gmt360 other
609 Posts
Do the Z71 shocks work better than the stock billsteennsss ?
I just picked up a set of the springs and the shocks came free (according to the guy on ebay, the shocks are what I paid for and the springs came with them). Probably install them this weekend.

I have the suspensionmaxx 1.75 lift up front already. Has or is anyone running the Z71 springs with a spacer lift together ?
Forget the question about the Z71 springs with a spacer lift together. I was reading this thread http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=48318 and read the answer to my question. That's a wicked set-up Mario - The ONLY TrailBlazer rolling on Rainier Wheels and BFG MTs !.

I see that there are good fixes for the side to side play on the bottom. BUT. . . Anyone notice that the holes for the Avalanche shocks are larger than our stock shocks ? That leaves room for play between the two. Not so much a good thing.
The bolt and shock sleeve are made to fit closely so the two don't move seperately from eachother when the axle goes up and down. This makes the shock do its job immediately. If there's play at the top and bottom of the shock, there is a little space where the axle and body are moving seperately from eachother before they contact the shock. Diminishing the shocks effectiveness and causing metal to metal wear.
Has anyone taken off their Z71 shocks after some mileage to see if there is any wear of the bolts, shock bolt sleve or or area around them ?
The stock bolt hole hole is 1/2 inch. The Avalalanche hole is 9/16" but the outer diameter seems to be the same.

I have a set of both the avalanche and stock bilstein shocks. After work tonight, I am going to press out the sleeves for each of them and see if the Z71 will accept the 1/2" stockers without being loose. Looks like that will work.

Attachments

·
Northeast Chapter
1,502 Posts
Looks like an interesting idea bobby. That might be a viable option.....my Z71 rear set-up does not have any real play to speak of. I am using the 2" rear spacer from Smaxx with my Z71 set up, and have no complaints. Rear suspension is pretty stiff, but I like the increased load capacity on the suspension. Spacers with Z71 has been just fine for me. It does ride a little more like a truck, instead of a soccer mom suv.....Keep us posted on the sleeve idea. I like it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I put in the Z71 springs and shocks as well. What worked for me was that i drilled out the holes on the bottom bracket to accept the correct size bolt, then I used the appropriate spacers to take up the play. It eliminated the weak point in the system of using undersized bolts. Also, you wont have the rattle and noise when driving over bumps and the like.

·
Registered
2004 non_gmt360 other
609 Posts
Looks like an interesting idea bobby. That might be a viable option.....my Z71 rear set-up does not have any real play to speak of. I am using the 2" rear spacer from Smaxx with my Z71 set up, and have no complaints. Rear suspension is pretty stiff, but I like the increased load capacity on the suspension. Spacers with Z71 has been just fine for me. It does ride a little more like a truck, instead of a soccer mom suv.....Keep us posted on the sleeve idea. I like it. :thumbsup:
Thanks about the spacer. I have a 1 inch one i'd like to add to the Z71 springs.

I'm thinkin the only real way to know if the gap in the shock sleeves is doin any damage is to take one of them off after puting some miles on em'. Maybe there would be fresh steel from where the shock and washers/spacers meet and are scraping when any time the shocks are working, which is all the time. There is 1/8 inch play combining the two ends. I'm not too comfortable with that. I wonder if that would do anything to the bolt, mount or shock in the long run. Once again, shocks mare made so the bolts going through have the least possible play between them and the sleve for a reason. Just want to be safe.

·
Registered
2004 non_gmt360 other
609 Posts
I put in the Z71 springs and shocks as well. What worked for me was that i drilled out the holes on the bottom bracket to accept the correct size bolt, then I used the appropriate spacers to take up the play. It eliminated the weak point in the system of using undersized bolts. Also, you wont have the rattle and noise when driving over bumps and the like.
Exellent idea. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 non_gmt360 other
609 Posts
The sleeve was being stubborn. Wouldn't come out. Tomorrow, I think i'm gonna cut out the sleeves on the old shocks as long as I can knock out the avalanche sleeves. WD-40 should work to mate the two back together. If it don't work I will probably drill out the mounts and add 9/16 bolts like splivkramer did.

The pic is the stock shock bolt in the avalanche shock. See my concern with the extra space and movement ? That seems like alot of room for play.

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The sleeve was being stubborn. Wouldn't come out. Tomorrow, I think i'm gonna cut out the sleeves on the old shocks as long as I can knock out the avalanche sleeves. WD-40 should work to mate the two back together. If it don't work I will probably drill out the mounts and add 9/16 bolts like splivkramer did.

The pic is the stock shock bolt in the avalanche shock. See my concern with the extra space and movement ? That seems like alot of room for play.
i don't remember if the top and bottom bolt were the same diameter, but fyi, the bolt that you have running thru the shock, is for the bottom mount, and the hole you are representing in the pic is the top. that bolt goes on the bottom. :m2:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts