Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my sub and amp installed today at Best Buy and on the 30min drive home the sub just stopped working! I pulled over at a car wash so I could have some light to check the fuse, it was fine then I turned the radio back up and it sounds like the sub was blown. I took some recommendations and checked forums and just about everything said the type R could handle the power from my Orion 1200D but I guess not! I told the installers to but it at 2Ohms so that would be about 700 watts which I guess was too much. I even had someone tell me the sub could handle the full 1200 watts from the amp so its back to square one.

To top it off I had some door speakers installed and it looks like the installer didnt pop the cover first and they broke the plastic around the door handle. The thing that pisses me off the most is the fact that they tried to use hot glue to stick it back on and there are clearly two prongs broken off. I'm taking it back tomorrow to tell them what I think about that. I just hope it wasnt wired wrong but I'm not sure how I can check into that, but it looks like I'm going to be out of some cash as I have to replace a brand new sub that I listened to for 30 mins, but it sure as hell sounded good. Sorry about the rant but I'm still pissed, anyone recommend a sub that will fit in this box and handle that type of power????:mad:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
If you bought everything from them you should be covered. Also with them covering the installation that proves it was professionally installed. (yeah right). So go back with the invoice and give a peice of your mind. Good Luck.

P.S. I was thinking of buying the same woofer but with a Hifonics amp instead.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Tay63 said:
I took some recommendations and checked forums and just about everything said the type R could handle the power from my Orion 1200D but I guess not! I told the installers to but it at 2Ohms so that would be about 700 watts which I guess was too much. I even had someone tell me the sub could handle the full 1200 watts from the amp so its back to square one.
What was the coil configuration on the sub? And it would have taken that 1200W just fine, we've thrown the 2500D on the 10" Type Rs (daily non clipped all day everyday).
Tay63 said:
To top it off I had some door speakers installed and it looks like the installer didnt pop the cover first and they broke the plastic around the door handle. The thing that pisses me off the most is the fact that they tried to use hot glue to stick it back on and there are clearly two prongs broken off. I'm taking it back tomorrow to tell them what I think about that. I just hope it wasnt wired wrong but I'm not sure how I can check into that, but it looks like I'm going to be out of some cash as I have to replace a brand new sub that I listened to for 30 mins, but it sure as hell sounded good. Sorry about the rant but I'm still pissed, anyone recommend a sub that will fit in this box and handle that type of power????:mad:
Pull the sub and take pictures of it to check on wiring, why should you now have to pay for the sub. I would talk to the store manager and let him/her know about the broken panels/shotty install. If they don't cover the cost that's rediculous (no warranty on the sub?). And again the Type R will take that power no problem (we've given the 15"s/12"s upwards of 3600W (benched (actually putting out this power)) for burps).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was the 2Ohm dual voice coil Type R, I called them this morning and they said to bring it in and they would check it out tomorrow. I didnt buy the sub from them just the wiring kit and install I got my sub from onlinecarstereo.com and it does come with a one year warrenty. However that involves shipping the unit back and them deciding if it was defective or not and i'm probably looking at about 2 weeks turnaround. As far as checking on the wiring I would have no idea of what to look for as I'm an idiot as far as audio installation is concerned so I wouldnt know what to look for. If you have any information you could pass my way I would be thankful.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Tay63 said:
It was the 2Ohm dual voice coil Type R, I called them this morning and they said to bring it in and they would check it out tomorrow. I didnt buy the sub from them just the wiring kit and install I got my sub from onlinecarstereo.com and it does come with a one year warrenty. However that involves shipping the unit back and them deciding if it was defective or not and i'm probably looking at about 2 weeks turnaround. As far as checking on the wiring I would have no idea of what to look for as I'm an idiot as far as audio installation is concerned so I wouldnt know what to look for. If you have any information you could pass my way I would be thankful.
It's up to you but it might be worth it, take the sub out and take pictures or draw up a quick diagram of how they wired it. For whatever reason they might have only wired one coil or wired it out of phase (but you said it was playing great for 30 mins?), since the only impedances you can pull off that woofer would be 1 or 4 ohms. I would again talk to a store manager and see if they'll eat the cost of shipping since they did damage to your vehicle and without telling you but sloppily cleaning it up, I'm sure they adjusted your amps (check settings on the amp).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd have to say it is either a wiring mishap or a grey market sub from your online dealer. I've been running Type R's w/ absolutely no problems and they seem to eat power just fine. The biggest problem with Best Buy or Circuit City installs is you usually have a couple of highschoolers banging out these installs without much attention to details.

A dual 2ohm woofer can be wired either at 1 ohm or 4 ohm. True, if they happened to wire it at 1ohm your Orion would be hitting it with quite a bit of power but I'm still confident the type R could handle it. I ran a 12" type R around 700-750 RMS for over a year with no probs.

You could unscrew the sub and check the wiring before taking it back in ti know for sure. Check out http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html?subs=1&impedance=DVC2x2
to see if they wired it at 1 or 4 ohm. You may be getting more power to it than you think. Even though I think it should take it...if they indeed wired it to 1 ohm and you specifically asked for 2 ohm (which isnt poss with this config) they should have had the audio knowledge enough to advise you otherwise.

Hope it works out without dipping into your pocket.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
deathbynosleep said:
I don't think you should have to buy a new sub. Best Buy should be required to replace it for you. Let us know what happens.
You should be able to get it replaced for free. Did they tell you that the sub could handle the power? If so, just blame it on them!! And as for the handle covers, demand that they pay for new ones :yes: They broke them, and they should replace them, no questions asked!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I took it back in and they are telling me that the voice coils seized up and its a defective sub. They took the sub out and there was a burning smell like some of the polyfill started to burn.When I asked how it was wired they told me it was bridged but the amp is a mono amp so why would they bridge it or is that even possible. When I asked how much power was going to the sub the installer said 725 watts but I think its apparent that they have no idea what they're talking about. I made them recheck the wiring and they said that they would replace the sub if the place where I bought it from wouldnt.I have hooked up my roomates old jbl box and sub and its working without any issues right now and I've sent the sub back to onlinecarstereo.com and I'm waiting to hear from the best buy store manager regarding the whole deal.

Not happy, but I will get it resolved even if I have to break someone in half.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I took it back in and they are telling me that the voice coils seized up and its a defective sub. They took the sub out and there was a burning smell like some of the polyfill started to burn.When I asked how it was wired they told me it was bridged but the amp is a mono amp so why would they bridge it or is that even possible. When I asked how much power was going to the sub the installer said 725 watts but I think its apparent that they have no idea what they're talking about. I made them recheck the wiring and they said that they would replace the sub if the place where I bought it from wouldnt.I have hooked up my roomates old jbl box and sub and its working without any issues right now and I've sent the sub back to onlinecarstereo.com and I'm waiting to hear from the best buy store manager regarding the whole deal.

Not happy, but I will get it resolved even if I have to break someone in half.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
It seems like you're right on top of things. I think it will be all good in the morning. Meaning when the sub gets replaced.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts