Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2002 non_gmt360 other
344 Posts
Pop your hood, if you have a MAF then you have one of the lucky late 05 builds with the 06 engine.
Ok, so my mechanical mind is not what some of yours are :worried: , whats an MAF? I have an '05 and wanna see if I have an '06 engine in it.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Mass Air Flow Sensor. See post#15. In it is a description of the MAF and what it does.
Probably, an easier way for to find out if you have an '06 is like Erik said, does it have an aluminum valve cover, or a plastic composite? If the latter, it's an '05. Metal valve covers indicate it has the new-for-'06 smaller, lighter ignition coils and is an '06 model yr. engine.
Denny

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
221 Posts
So if the 06 worked in the 02, then would this be the same for another other model pre 06? Just get a new coil harness and drill/tap a temp sensor? Or am I missing a few things, cause if that's pretty much it, then damn that would be a nice little boost in power provided you can find the engine for a nice price of course.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So if the 06 worked in the 02, then would this be the same for another other model pre 06? Just get a new coil harness and drill/tap a temp sensor? Or am I missing a few things, cause if that's pretty much it, then damn that would be a nice little boost in power provided you can find the engine for a nice price of course.
I would tend to think so. Except you wouldn't need a new coil harness, either. My '02 engine wiring harness worked on the new coils! And you might not need to tap for the sensor, either. Evidently, there is a place in the rear part of the engine for the sensor. You'd just have to splice in and extend the wires a bit I suppose. I was able to find this engine, with approx. 26,000 miles, for under $900. The trick is to have the expertise and tools, either yourself or hired, to do the swap.

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
Dennysemn, if you don't mind...can I ask how much this set you back just for the cost of labor? I'm in the twin cities and if your mechanic has successfully performed a transplant, I suppose he would know his way around another. Not thinking of doing one now, but maybe later on down the road.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
221 Posts
I would tend to think so. Except you wouldn't need a new coil harness, either. My '02 engine wiring harness worked on the new coils! And you might not need to tap for the sensor, either. Evidently, there is a place in the rear part of the engine for the sensor. You'd just have to splice in and extend the wires a bit I suppose. I was able to find this engine, with approx. 26,000 miles, for under $900. The trick is to have the expertise and tools, either yourself or hired, to do the swap.

Hmm good to know.. kinda curious then what the 06 pcm does to the engine that the 02-05pcm models can't... or if everything operates the same>

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
790 Posts
My motor is brand new out of the crate and it appears to have a date of May 06 and it has the no return rail, big exhaust ports, metal cam cover, so I know its a later motor. Are there serial numbers on the motor that tell you? It's got numbers all over it.

PS is that you cable guy?
Which cable guy?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
423 Posts
I'd also like to know some more info about the different between the 1st gen pcm and the 2nd gen pcm that comes with the updated 06 engine.

Can you really use an gen1 computer, and just update the software for what is in the gen 2?

Is there anything the 2nd gen pcm does that the first one cant? Or does better?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
221 Posts
Guess no one knows? I would only assume real way to see power wise would be is have a true 06 dyno'd then dyno the 02 with the 06 engine.. provided rest of truck is the same whether it be 4 wheel/2 wheel..

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
My motor is brand new out of the crate and it appears to have a date of May 06 and it has the no return rail, big exhaust ports, metal cam cover, so I know its a later motor. Are there serial numbers on the motor that tell you? It's got numbers all over it.

PS is that you cable guy?
Its the new style, I said MAF because they're easy to recognize. But the aluminum valve cover is a dead giveaway.

Mass Air Flow Sensor. See post#15. In it is a description of the MAF and what it does.
Probably, an easier way for to find out if you have an '06 is like Erik said, does it have an aluminum valve cover, or a plastic composite? If the latter, it's an '05. Metal valve covers indicate it has the new-for-'06 smaller, lighter ignition coils and is an '06 model yr. engine.
Denny
:yes::yes:

I'd also like to know some more info about the different between the 1st gen pcm and the 2nd gen pcm that comes with the updated 06 engine.

Can you really use an gen1 computer, and just update the software for what is in the gen 2?

Is there anything the 2nd gen pcm does that the first one cant? Or does better?
There is a HUGE difference between the P10 (02-05) and P12 (06-07) PCMs. The P10 is essentially a 99-02 PCM out of a 4 cylinder car with added controls for electronic throttle and exhaust cam VVT. The P12 is more like the E40 ECM (but the E40 doesnt have trans controls) that the Vette and a bunch of V8s used in 05-06 with respect to speed (faster processor) and has other features that Im not aware of.

Completely different hardware, wiring, PCM connectors, etc. No one's sure if its a simply plug n play swap as it hasnt been done yet.

If you drop an 06 motor into a 02-05 truck I would HIGHLY recommend getting a tune as the breathing characteristics of the new head is bound to be different.

Guess no one knows? I would only assume real way to see power wise would be is have a true 06 dyno'd then dyno the 02 with the 06 engine.. provided rest of truck is the same whether it be 4 wheel/2 wheel..
Going off GM's dyno graphs and the ones Ive seen of 02-05 vs 06-09 motors the early ones make more power off the line then the new ones beat them up top. But no one has done a back to back dyno with completely stock trucks either...most likely the 06 motor will make more power if you use the 06 electronics and MAF. If you use the 02-05 PCM its a toss up, might gain a few or lose a few.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,339 Posts
As far as I know, nobody has switched an old PCM for a new one.
You'd have to custom wire it in. (there's no smiley for 'scary'!)

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
If i bought an 06 engine with the wire harness, and its pcm. could I drop that right into my 05 trailblazer?? would i have to change the fuse box under the hood as well?
Define "drop"...depends on your expertise. If you have little to none or havent done engine swaps before Id say it'd be a BIG challenge. If you've done 5+ engine swaps, this one will be hard (gotta love the 4WD axleshaft location) but doable. The wiring shouldnt be that bad (I say shouldnt because it hasnt been done thus far), but I have no way of knowing for sure if the P12 uses the same comm lines as the P10 (all the specs and everything Ive read points to yes but Im not positive).

As far as I know, nobody has switched an old PCM for a new one.
You'd have to custom wire it in. (there's no smiley for 'scary'!)
Correct, I have a P12 and another P10 sitting in my room right now as I was planning on attempting this swap on my 02 but I was only going to invest the rest of the $$ in the connectors and pins if there was at least someone willing to spend the $$ on buying it as I have no use for it. Just was going to build a harness to prove it can/cant be done. Downfall: need a P12 and a P10 PCM, 3 P12 PCM connectors ($15 each), and around 120-130 PCM pins (at .50 each, so about $60-65). Kinda expensive when you add 2 PCMs (to make a plug n play harness, if you want to hack your existing you can do without the extra P10 or crack your stock one open and use it) to the mix. I think I figured it to be $120-130 for the connectors and pins alone, plus whatever the PCMs cost (could be up to another $80-100 each).

Honestly, the only reason to do a P12 swap is to run boost. To do it along with an 06 engine swap might be slightly beneficial, but get a tuner who knows what they're doing on the I6 and they should be able to make the P10 be just fine with the 06 motor.

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
After getting my engine swapped with an 06, my engine still gets overheated. When I brake or on stop the engine temp increases nearly 260. The difference between the 02 overheatness is when I get the truck moving, the temp decrease near but not close to the 210 mark, the 02 engine would stay about 260 even when moving. Anyone have any ideas why slowing down or at stop does the engine temp increase and decrease when moving????

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Buc, it must have to do with your efans. Set them up to come on sooner, the factory clutch moves air even when the PCM is commanding 0% PWM as it is spinning the same speed as the crank is. Efans arent, they stay off and move no air until they're powered on. Post your tune up (EFILive format please) and Ill have a look on wed/thurs. My brother's graduating high school, barely able to sneak away for a few mins to check on here tonight.

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
Post your tune up (EFILive format please).
:dielaugh:

When using this tune, the the temperature was above the 210 but below the line between 210 and 260. Never reached 260.

But when I used this tune the temper is on the line between 210 and 260 to 260. When stop the temperature increase. When Go the temperature decreased.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Hmm, well Im like most Americans and like seeing things in F not C, plus its late. Those arent the params Im really interested in, they are important yes but the actual fan tables are the ones that control when the PCM commands the fans to gradually come on (factory, for efans it should be 0% until you want them on then 100%).

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
Hmm, well Im like most Americans and like seeing things in F not C, plus its late. Those arent the params Im really interested in, they are important yes but the actual fan tables are the ones that control when the PCM commands the fans to gradually come on (factory, for efans it should be 0% until you want them on then 100%).
Sorry i thought you meant those tables i posted. What table do you want to see? maybe provide me the calibration number so i know exact what tables to show to you.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts