Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,055 Posts
I was ordering a diff cover for a customer and found this one. It's Purple cranium's new half diff cover for the TB and Envoy! I think Roadie will like it. Check it out here. http://purplecranium.com/i-88751-envoytrailblazer-half-spider-rock-guard.html
Got the first one ever made ... by sending them 2 diff covers to use as templates.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showpost.php?p=452606&postcount=48

The Roadie has the first one in the US.

Mine isn't installed yet ...

AG

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I think Roadie will like it.
I liked it so much I bought one as soon as Alek advised me they were going to go live with it on their web site a month ago. Then holidays got in the way, and a cracked exhaust manifold, and the Spider is still waiting to be installed. We all owe a big debt to Alek :tiphat for investing in the parts and convincing PC to offer the product. It would really stink if these two were the only ones PC ever sold.

Hmmmm, I could still be the first one in the world that got installed?!? :woot: :raspberry Better get my butt out there and slap it in. :undecided

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Alek! I ordered one today in white for the TB. I have two on my Dodge off road truck, rear full and front half. I also have a rear aluminum full cover on my TB. They hold up real well! Although they do hold mud and its sometimes a pain to wash them out, they are worth the protection if you off road.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
466 Posts
Is the 8.6" Ring Gear the same as the 8.0" RG found on the SWB TB? That item shows for the 8.6" and i just want to confirm it will fit prior to order.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,055 Posts
Is the 8.6" Ring Gear the same as the 8.0" RG found on the SWB TB? That item shows for the 8.6" and i just want to confirm it will fit prior to order.
I am assuming you are asking if the covers are the same. By definition, the 8 inch and 8.6 inch ring gears are NOT the same.

The covers however for the 8 inch and 8.6 inch rear ends for our TrailVoys have the same bolt pattern. But these patterns are NOT the same as any other GM axle, including the 8.6 inch for the H3 and other vehicles. Only buy the Spider for the Trailblazer/Envoy.

You can get all the information you need in this thread:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=22973

AG

·
Registered
2009 chevy
3,344 Posts
I liked it so much I bought one as soon as Alek advised me they were going to go live with it on their web site a month ago. Then holidays got in the way, and a cracked exhaust manifold, and the Spider is still waiting to be installed. We all owe a big debt to Alek :tiphat for investing in the parts and convincing PC to offer the product. It would really stink if these two were the only ones PC ever sold.

Hmmmm, I could still be the first one in the world that got installed?!? :woot: :raspberry Better get my butt out there and slap it in. :undecided
Hey roadie will you take detailed pix of the install and do a write up article on it, Thanks.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Hey roadie will you take detailed pix of the install and do a write up article on it, Thanks.
I'll take pics, of course. But I can write the "how to" article already.

1) Take out lower five diff cover bolts. Doing it while cold may reduce the possible seepage of fluid, since the cover is held in by the upper bolts.
2) Get some loctite and apply to the five new bolts supplied by PC.
3) Install spider with five new bolts and torque to [some proper value.]

Might be a ten minute job. Might do it today before a drive to the mountains with Mrs. Roadie now I know I have people chasing me. :eek:

And it's only for the rear, which is exposed to danger when backing up in the presence of rocks, logs, and exceedingly tall mall curbs. You can't ding the front diff the same way.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
First Purple Cranium Spider Installation!

Was only a 12 minute job after all, and 6 minutes of that were spent finding my loctite and a metric allen wrench that was hiding on me.

Parts from Purple Cranium (allen wrench and loctite were mine)

Product described here: http://purplecranium.com/i-88751-envoytrailblazer-half-spider-rock-guard.html

Envoy/Trailblazer Half Spider® Rock Guard, 8.6 RG, designed for bottom rear protection. The PCP Spider® Rock Guard is second to none, designed with not only protection in mind but also looks. The 9.25 Spider® includes a .375 thick CNC plasma cut flange, .625 Rd. Cold Rolled Steel legs, Fixtured Mig welded welds, CNC machined counter bored bolt holes, Normalized and shotblasted, Phosphate primed and Powder Coated a durable black hammertone. For more color choices click the "Powder Coating Options" button below. All stainless steel mounting bolts are included. Cover not included.

$80 for the Spider, $15-25 for powder coating or special paint in your choice of 46 colors/finishes. A bit more for shipping.

1) Take out lower five diff cover bolts - 13mm. Doing it while cold reduced the possible seepage of fluid, since the cover is held in by the upper bolts. I only got three drops of seepage.

2) Get some blue removable loctite and apply to the five new bolts supplied by PC - 6mm recessed hex, stainless.

3) Install spider with five new bolts and torque to 20 foot pounds.

Enjoy new protection:

Funniest feeling while installing this: remembering what it was like in Junior High in 1964 to go to gym and find out you (or your Mom) had to go to the sporting goods store and buy your first athletic "cup." :cry: And you were a year younger than your class and didn't think you had anything worth protecting. :eek: :worried: :( :confused: :rolleyes: :ugh:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks good Roadie. Can't wait to get mine now. I'm going to remove the cover and paint it red before putting my white one on. I'm also adding snythetic Royal Purple gear oil. Some people say its not worth it but I swear by them in all my vehicles and race cars.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
396 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
That'll look great on your stock 2WD :weird:
Don't worry. The Purple Cranium order application includes a three page essay you have to fill out on why you believe you're worthy to own one. You also have to submit a video of your truck getting dirty and hitting the trails.

2WD need not apply. :D

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,401 Posts
Err... Uh.... I better get to doing my homework:laugh: My parents wouldn't let me get a 4wd for my first vehicle.. needless to say my next one will be 4wd!

my warranty is nearly up.. less than 4k miles to go! I'm getting ready to tear that resonator off.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts