Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2006 gmc envoy_denali
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my neighbor came over and told me my Truck was puffing blue smoke:eek:. I started truck and let run about two minutes and moved out of driveway to the road. It sat for about two hours. I started the truck and again let it run a couple minutes before leaving. I turned the truck around and accelerated not to hard but a little bit into it as I pulled away. My neighbor says it puffed blue smoke about 75 yards of so. Being as I'm not to mechanically inclined I'll ask my Trailvoy friends for some advice as to what the issue may be. Still under warranty and has about 38000 miles on it, regular oil changes at 3000. Guess a trip to the dealer may be coming soon.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
A puff of blue smoke like that is usually worn/bad valve seals or valve guides. Sounds really early at 38,000 miles though.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
whos doing the oil changes?
If you are-- are you measuring how much comes out?
if in 3000 miles you remove say 4 to 5 quarts.. then the oil is going somewhere.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
331 Posts
might not be getting enough fuel

It might be running lean. Before all the odb stuff mechanics used to use the color of the smoke to help determine what was wrong and blue usually means not enough fuel.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
...Before all the odb stuff mechanics used to use the color of the smoke to help determine what was wrong and blue usually means not enough fuel.
But now we have ODB and an all-powerful PCM, and persistent lean or rich running will throw a code if there are poorly-performing injectors.

I would guess it's burning oil as well. Thank goodness you've got some warranty coverage.

·
Banned
2006 gmc envoy_denali
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
whos doing the oil changes?
If you are-- are you measuring how much comes out?
if in 3000 miles you remove say 4 to 5 quarts.. then the oil is going somewhere.
The dealer does the the changes, I'll book it in for one and be there to see how much oil comes out. And have them investigate the blue smoke, and start the paper trail for this concern. My GM warranty is good till 160000km or Dec 2011. I wonder what kind of new parts I'll be getting???

·
Banned
2006 gmc envoy_denali
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But now we have ODB and an all-powerful PCM, and persistent lean or rich running will throw a code if there are poorly-performing injectors.

I would guess it's burning oil as well. Thank goodness you've got some warranty coverage.
Ya, after my last vehicle(pos 98 exploder LTD), I determined the most important feature on the replacement vehicle will be a warranty, and a good one. The GM Protection Plus even gives you the Roadside Service.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
So my neighbor came over and told me my Truck was puffing blue smoke:eek:. I started truck and let run about two minutes and moved out of driveway to the road. It sat for about two hours. I started the truck and again let it run a couple minutes before leaving. I turned the truck around and accelerated not to hard but a little bit into it as I pulled away. My neighbor says it puffed blue smoke about 75 yards of so. Being as I'm not to mechanically inclined I'll ask my Trailvoy friends for some advice as to what the issue may be. Still under warranty and has about 38000 miles on it, regular oil changes at 3000. Guess a trip to the dealer may be coming soon.
How cold is it there? Blue is oil, black is fuel, and white is usually just water vapor. The blue and white sort look alike when it is cold. Have your wife drive it like you did and you watch for what it looks like. Have you been using any oil to speak of? What color is the stuff on then end of the inside of the tailpipe? Black carbon or ?????

·
Banned
2006 gmc envoy_denali
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How cold is it there? Blue is oil, black is fuel, and white is usually just water vapor. The blue and white sort look alike when it is cold. Have your wife drive it like you did and you watch for what it looks like. Have you been using any oil to speak of? What color is the stuff on then end of the inside of the tailpipe? Black carbon or ?????
Its about 10 degres out, my first thought was just that cus its kinda cool out and maybe he's color blind. The tailpipe is definitly all black around the inside and outside of tip. I'm going to have the wife drive it like I did and look myself to see whats up. Then after its warmed up I'll check oil level. Quick bite to eat first.

·
Banned
2006 gmc envoy_denali
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oil level is below the cross hatched area of the dipstick....I guess indicating it is down by a quart or so. Not what I wanted to see:no:

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
here is a shot of my tail pipe. I took this yesterday. Close to 143,000 and I dont have black soot- you can still see the joining points of the metal pipe This is the factory exhaust.
After 11,000 miles on oil- I remove and measure. I usually get 6 to 6.75 quarts out. My engine burns very very little oil...

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Its about 10 degres out, my first thought was just that cus its kinda cool out and maybe he's color blind. The tailpipe is definitly all black around the inside and outside of tip. I'm going to have the wife drive it like I did and look myself to see whats up. Then after its warmed up I'll check oil level. Quick bite to eat first.
Black around and inside the tailpipe is oil going down the tube. Not good. Pull the plugs, fuel pump relay and do a compression test. Write down all the figures. If the numbers are not the same or real close then put a teaspoon of oil in each cyl. and do another compresson test. If the numbers go up a lot it is rings, if they stay about the same it is valves. If the rings are ok then the oil is running down the valve guides. I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS WILL WORK, BUT WHEN WE WERE A LOT YOUNGER WE USED TO REV AN ENGINE UP TO ABOUT 3K AND THEN PUT A COUPLE OF TABLESPOONS OF BONAMI DOWN THE CARB TO BURNISH THE RINGS AND BORE and then change the oil. This would work for quite a while if the rings/cyl were leaking.

·
Registered
2004 buick rainier
84 Posts
valve seals

sounds like you have leaky valve seals. You may not notice the oil level change a whole lot in a 5000km oil change due to seal leakage. Not a big deal take it to your dealer this is a warranty issue. This problem was very common problem on the Gen1 engines.

·
Banned
2006 gmc envoy_denali
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I took to the dealer today to find out whats going on with the blue smoke. They have ordered new valve covers under warranty as per #PIP4492D. I noticed on another thread #PIP4492C was referred. Whats the difference between 4492C and 4492D? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Valve covers and leaking oil go together. Valve covers and burning oil, I am not quite sure about that pair.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts