Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else have htis issue, should I change the pump? It is loud for abotu 30 seconds when it is realy cold out, then you can't hear it at all once it goes away... Is this common?

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Probably some wear and bearing noise, but..........you might get some time out of it with an additive and/or a flush. You could try a flush, or go to the auto parts store and look for a ps pump rejuvenater. If after adding, it's still noisy (give it a couple of days) you'll probably need a new pump.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
k thanks for the help, theat rejuvinator isnt like the radiator stuff that can cause more harm than good down the road is it?

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
678 Posts
My run in with this turned out to be a dry Power steering system as a result of the rack leaking, which was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,292 Posts
My personal experience... just do the flush,stick a clean white rag or paper towel in the cap hole after running it & shutting it off you probably will not see nice clean fluid, more like brown or black color (Burnt). (there is no filter in the system:ugh:) Some use a turkey baster, or brake fluid fill bulb to suck out old fluid as a quickie but that really doesn't do the job completly by any means. There are a few threads, posts one with nice writeup & pics here somewhere, ( really I have seen it... somewhere).:confused:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
I'd rather not disconnect any hoses as mentioned in that "how to", although it will work.

I like the turkey baster method. Suck out as much as possible, fill the reservoir back up, run the truck (turn the wheel back & forth a few times), shut off and suck as much as possible out again, etc, etc, etc, until the fluid comes out clean.

If the unit has a lot of miles on it, I'd refill the last time with 1/2 PS fluid, and 1/2 PS sealer fluid.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
151 Posts
Anybody else have htis issue, should I change the pump? It is loud for abotu 30 seconds when it is realy cold out, then you can't hear it at all once it goes away... Is this common?
I was near Ankeny for christmas this year a really noticed the same thing. The PS pump made a ton of noise. One problem i noticed was that I was a little low on fluid. I added some fluid and that helped. I am just glad that these pumps dont make the obnoxious noise the ford pumps make!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts