Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a '05 Envoy SLT with chrome wheels. I live in Cleveland (snow belt) and was told to put a heavy duty rust inhibitor on the wheels to protect them from the salt in the winter time.

It protects them but once spring comes around it's a pain to get off. Unfortunately I was reduced to use a plastic based SOS kitchen scrub pad to get it off. I can't tell if the SOS dulled the chrome or if it was that way in the first place.

My questions are:
Do these factory chrome wheels have a clear coating on them that protects them from road salt?
Is it not necessary to put a salt protectant on chrome wheels during winter? What recommendations do you have to restore the shine of the chrome?
Get them re-clear coated?

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
76 Posts
i live in the midwest and get plenty of snow, all i do for mine is use a paste that mothers makes i do it before and after the winter months seems to work pretty well. as for a clear coat i dont believe they do that i would suggest getting on of those balls that you put in the drill to speed up the polishing process

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
i too have a 05 voy and yes they ARE cleared from the factory,,i know this cause its flaking off one of my wheels....im 33 and ever since i was 16 ive had some kind of chrome wheels,,the best upkeep in the winter is just rinse them off during your normal carwash.....i usually polish mine with turtle wax chrome polish,it works great....way back when when wheels were steel you had to keep a close eye on them cause in the winter because they would pit and rust BUT now that almost all wheels are aluminum, a basic rinse during washing and some chrome polish is fine.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should I just use some chrome wheel polish and get one of those buffer clothes that attach like a drill bit? I've been using Eagle 1 chrome wheel cleaner- that works great it restores the shine but, once I apply the Eagle 1 chrome polish, it ironically looks dull again.

Is it a waste of money to get them recoated? Any other suggestions?

Yeah, I put chrome American Racing wheels on My '97 Wrangler. One wheel actually pitted all the way through to the point the tire couldnt keep air. They replaced it under warranty.

Thanks alot.

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
make damn sure whatever you use it says safe for chrome wheels!! do not get aluminum polish,,that has grit in it and it WILL fruck up chrome wheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.