Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 non_gmt360 other
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey now, I was thinkin bout takin my front bumper cover off before I go wheelin and puting it back on afterwards so she stays nice and shiny :cool:. I just got a brand new cover due to the TBS for the wavy facia. My old one was too wavy to repair so they painted me a new one.

My question is the same as the title. I know some guys run all the time without a bump cover. Is there more open space for debris to get up in the lower engine compartment ? I know the lower part of the radiator will be unprotected.

Any other pros and cons ?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
I know the lower part of the radiator will be unprotected.

Any other pros and cons ?
The lower radiator isn't really protected by the bumper facia. The facia may act as a mild warning if you're about to ram it into something though.

Other negatives include increased wind resistance and thus decreased fuel efficiency. You also lose your fog lights when you remove the bumper.

Of course the pro is that you gain approach angle and clearance to the front wheels (however without rock sliders you cannot really take full advantage of this).

·
Registered
2004 non_gmt360 other
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I apreciate the input. Wasn't worried too much bout the aerodynamics/fuel economy for one day to and from the trail. I guess it protects more than it inhibits.

PS: that's a pretty pig you got there.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
728 Posts
i run mine off all the time, cause i tend to run trails on a random basis, all depends on when my buddies can go .. so its just easier for me to keep it off, not to mention its easier to mount a front light setup w/o the cover..lol as for gas milage, im getting 15.6 %50 city and %50 highway all the time... so its not bad considering were rated at 14-19MPG but keeping it on during trail riding isnt a good idea, cause those side clips will break real fast , i finally got tired of fixing mine, thus another reason i kept mine off...

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
290 Posts
Well I think next time I hit the bush I am gonna remove the bumper. I geuss you will never know the difference until you try it out. :D So minds well just do so. I have an LS so dont need to worry about the factory fog lights :thumbsup:

·
Registered
728 Posts
i had an LS to so no worry bout the lights ...just add your own...

like this- maybe not so Illegal though.i gonna get some other Amber lights and just replace the lower turn signal with a custom one and use the orginal turn signal as a constant light

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
290 Posts
i had an LS to so no worry bout the lights ...just add your own...

like this- maybe not so Illegal though.i gonna get some other Amber lights and just replace the lower turn signal with a custom one and use the orginal turn signal as a constant light

Thats perfect for in the bush.. is that the stock bumper those lights are on ?

·
Registered
728 Posts
yes sir... thats factory... its a good looking for being stock ..lol im trying to make mine look better ...lol .. but of course its all for purpose not Mall cruiser (i dont have tires yet still trying to choose between M/t and A/t) but she is a trail hoe...lol

·
Registered
916 Posts
My bumper had been introduced to the sand a time or two too many so I had a steel bumper built at a local 4X4 shop to replace it. I had them fit it for a Superwinch EPi9.0 that I'll bolt in later before the 4X4 season starts again. The winch sets down inside the bumper. The Roller Fairlead will moumt where the license plate is currently bolted. I kept my old bumper and cover though because Abu Dhabi has this archaic rule about modifying vehicles. I will have to reinstall it whenever I have the registration renewed (annually). No telling what they'll say about my Lift Meister kit.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts