Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wiring up a relay module for a project of mine on the Trailblazer (moving slowly due to weather!) and part way through as I was staring at it I wondered how smart I really was doing this :bonk:

I hope I wired it right. Trying to keep all those wires straight and hoping I got them in the right spots :crazy: I did have the brains to label them so it will still (hopefully) make sense when I go to install it!

What have you guys started that halfway through you start wondering about your own sanity?

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
387 Posts
Dare I ask what that device is going to be used for?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a DRL/turn signal control module for my custom retrofitted headlights :D It'll mount in the dash and tap into some of the wires to and from the turn signal flasher.

How exactly it works you'll just have to wait and see :D

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
234 Posts
please share

I like this!
This is the type of stuff that sperates the OEM'ers from the Mod'ers

Go nuts! Just make sure you know how to fix it if you break it

Godspeed:thumbsup:

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Damn Sparky, that looks crazy complicated!! :crazy: Hope it functions the way you want it the first time around.

As for me, I decided to take on a project of fabricating clear North Face roof rack lenses. They were only made in amber as far as I know, and there was such a limited production run, you can't find them anywhere. I came up with a couple of plans for making molds to pour a polyurethane resin into, but the planets didn't align correctly to prevent Murphy's law from pimp slapping me. Several hundred bucks later, that idea is on hold until I can save up some cash to try again. :sadcry:

It doesn't help that the LWB roof rack caps are like 3x the size of the SWB models, so I went through materials FAST!! :hopeless

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
2,251 Posts
:dielaugh::dielaugh::dielaugh:

This thread's gonna be so full of fail, it's gonna be a win I think!!! :D

I'm working on my electrical project (phase two) this Saturday. (finding out why the strobes stopped working - prolly a blown fuse (I hope) cause I accidently hit the switch when it was really, really cold.)

I'll take a few pics of that mess and it'll make your little relay project look sane. :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like I'll have to take pics when I have it installed. And I should come up with more crazy stuff to attempt to outdo ya :dielaugh:

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Sounds like I'll have to take pics when I have it installed. And I should come up with more crazy stuff to attempt to outdo ya :dielaugh:
:dielaugh::dielaugh::dielaugh:

Oh my! You might wanna wait till you see the pics first. :eek:

Right off the hop though, I think you should reconsider this attempt. :rotfl::rotfl:

It can only end in disaster... :rolleyes:

... or one of our rides looking like a damn Christmas tree. :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I should have done. I should get some christmas lights and string them around the grill and roof rack next Christmas :D

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
5,895 Posts
:confused: am i the only one that had to wire wrap prototype boards in college?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Everything I do is worth it in some way, even if it's just educational. In this project, I learned I do not ever want to take the dash entirely out unless I'm going to discard it.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
:dielaugh::dielaugh:

Well, that kinda blows our little electrical projects out of the water... :rotfl:

Good lord!

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Well Sparky, here's my mess...

The control panel. The nerve center for all my added lights (strobes, halos, interior leds, undercarriage (not installed yet)...)

The control & power center. It's hidden under the back seat.

The setup is fed through the power feed for the rear seat fuse box. It's grounded and fused through this power distribution setup.

The relays are velcroed to the back of the seat's kick-panel. You can also see the two strobe controllers I have installed already.

... and I'm not done yet. Still have the undercarriage lights to setup, finalize the interior leds and a few other things... :bonk:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
:confused: am i the only one that had to wire wrap prototype boards in college?
Nah. My first job in industry in 1973 used wirewrap BACKPLANES. Still have a few of the tools. :eek:

Nowadays, if I had to do a relay project for the Roadiemobile, I could CAD up the board and get it prototyped on our "etch a sketch" router machine in less time than crimping a hundred spade lugs onto wires.

Attachments

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
5,895 Posts
Nah. My first job in industry in 1973 used wirewrap BACKPLANES. Still have a few of the tools. :eek:
...and i thought i was dating myself by showing my then phone next to my senior design project...

easier than wire wrapping but soldering smd components by hand is still no fun

Attachments

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hm I like the ceiling console with those switches. Man I kinda wish I had one of those. But then, I like my sunroof, so...

Looks like the kind of thing I'd do. Hm, spaghetti wire, I love it :D

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Hm I like the ceiling console with those switches. Man I kinda wish I had one of those. But then, I like my sunroof, so...

Looks like the kind of thing I'd do. Hm, spaghetti wire, I love it :D
I have the sunroof. The black button next to the lights is for the sunroof. The panel where all the switches are is where the optional home thingy buttons go. I don't have that, so that panel was empty.

Well, till I got to working on it.

Perfect place to have switches. The cables for the switches run in the roof from there to behind the plastic on the "B" pillar and under the door sill plastic to the back seats and around the fuse box.

I think I added about 50lbs worth of copper weight to the SS. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts