Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Which design would like to see the project TB RS build up?

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Sounds great Jesse, if you need me to help you out with EFILive at all dont hesitate to ask! I want to see this TB running around with 4WD and a 6L80E!

No where can I come up with 10-15k so I can build my engine how I want, supercharge it, and do this trans conversion. Crap, Im in college and broke for another year or 2. Greattttt:mad::hissy:

·
Registered
2007 chevy
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thanks...and no worries man. In two years everything will be much cheaper. Plus, there is always someone selling a used SC at one time or another.

·
Registered
2007 chevy
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
WAHOOOOOOOOOOOO
:woohoo:
I am wayyyyyy overbudget:bonk:, deadline:confused:, and almost out of money :suicide:but it looks like all of the hardware will be done by next Tuesday and as the mechanic is eager to get it off of his lift, I'd like to think all installed next week. Don't think we'll be able to do the tap shifter at this point...but hey that's what summers are for right?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
13 Posts
offroad

with over 50% of the votes leaning towards an offroad setup, this project SUV shouldn't be made to be another SS wannabe!

·
Registered
2007 chevy
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
with over 50% of the votes leaning towards an offroad setup, this project SUV shouldn't be made to be another SS wannabe!
I'm thinking the same thing. Leaning towards a rugged sport look but with some decent off-road use.

Black bull bar w/HID's, early TB style fender flares, LED light square panel in the bumper driving light's opening, full tint, smoothed cowl panel.

·
Registered
2007 chevy
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Update!

Yup,

A) Technically, in the interest of time and money, but officially to diverse TBMSport's GM360T market exposure, the truck will be going for an off road rugged look. So no TBSS rear bumper. But we will be putting on the dual exhaust with our new muffler design similar to the Thrush. This will allow us to answer the many questions I've not yet been able to answer...will our kit fit a regular TB?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62daergIFG8

B)
The transmission to transfer case adapter needed some tweaking on the holes, so that's done!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuHBygKUef8

C) We're waiting on the new transfer case input gear to be cut and then I have to figure out how do the trans cooler lines, short of a braided line conversion.

So...as soon as the gear is done, he's trying for tomorrow, she'll be back up on the lift!:woot:

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,255 Posts
Nice! I hope you realize that you are going to have to bring it out with some of us lifted folks to prove it's moderate off road worthiness. I will, of course, drive it for you so you hands are free for picture and video recording:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2007 chevy
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Nice! I hope you realize that you are going to have to bring it out with some of us lifted folks to prove it's moderate off road worthiness. I will, of course, drive it for you so you hands are free for picture and video recording:thumbsup:
:laugh: Not only is it a realization, it's a commitment. I was sitting home this past weekend wanting to be outside, but not really wanting to go to a 'commercial' destination. Didn't want to spend 45 min plus $30 to go to the E-Town. I just wanted to be away from the 'civilized world'...and I thought...shooot this would be the perfect time to go trailing. At that moment it hit me that I didn't need another 'road' vehicle in the driveway.

I'm actually quite curious as to how the 3x to 4x first gear will impact rut/stump/rock crawling and fording water! Of course that means I've got to get new tires for the 17" :duh:!

·
Registered
2007 chevy
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
New Input Shaft is FINALLY done...half the wiring is done...we will find out if I know what I'm doing come Friday!:tiphat

·
Registered
2007 chevy
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Update

Transfer case bolt snapped off in case, so the day was shot transferring components to a spare case I had and now held up by new seals from GM to show up Monday. *knock on wood*

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
5,895 Posts
what do you think the possibility is for, say a guy with an 06 awd tbss, buying your hardware and doing the footwork to adapt the ecm/tcm? or doing a 07 ecm/tcm swap. besides the electrical side, is there anything on the hardware side stopping this from happening?

·
Registered
2007 chevy
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
There are several intricate details that the end user/installer will still have to consider besides basic R&R labor. A lot of minor pitfalls that add up quickly in doing the conversion for these trucks. :sadcry:

1) The 6L80 has a unique transmission cooler line connection that is not, obviously, pre-bent for our truck layout. Not entirely sure a simple AN fitting is going to do the job here...so something else to design and make plug and play for any platform without having to remove your entire cooler lines.

2) Cost estimates are hovering around $3k for RWD and $5k AWD/4WD not including cost of transmission.

AWD guys will have the additional labor of pulling apart their transfer case to swap out the input shaft. Hopefully, the transfer case seals are good and undamaged in the process because if not, well that's another $200+ in seals/gaskets.

RWD guys may seem like they are saving, but they will have to make sure that the RWD transmissions they source themselvess have the bellhousing, correct if any yoke, linkage brackets, end adapter, and gaskets/bolts plus of course the cost of a longer custom driveshaft.

3) Further, there will need to be a performance tune applied to the ECM/TCM to get the shift points 'right' (i.e not the factory's generic smooth, slow shifts).

4) Lastly and specific to your concern, without a 58X reluctor ring, no way no how is the system going work. Therefore '05-06 E40 guys can easily add $1500 (estimate) more for our proposed solution to make their engine 58X compatible without dropping their crankshaft.

These are all with 6L80E trans in mind. Throwing a 6L90E will require some more unique mods, assuming it fits with no issues. Not even sure it'll work with AWD transfer case. Additionally, I'm told that not all 6L80's are created the same. Full Size SUV with big 6.2L motors and Vette 6L80's have hardened components (and possibly other tricks) inside. But yet they come with completely different length, spline count, and diameter output shafts that require the entire tranny to be disassembled to swap out.

Needless to say, I'm going to carry and offer any and all the parts to order ala cart and as a basic package. Now if/when I offer transmissions along with the package, I may include a custom RWD driveshaft and all the upgraded clutches installed beings it's going to be shipped by freight. I have already begun working on offering a core-swap AWD transfer cases available.... rebuilt and ready to go. :woot:

So in summary, you could probably make the hardware yourself if you're handy like that and have the time/tools, but it's not going to work unless you have our interface system even if you already had an '07+ GMT360.

Nonetheless, the objective is offer a soup to nut package where the only thing necessary will be to do the labor of R&R'ing the parts off of the truck or, if local, just dropping it off at my guy's shop. That too is also being reviewed because his shop is like 40min drive from me, isn't big enough for stocking parts and parking multiple vehicles. Plus, he's a Ford guy so he's not equipped with GM specific tooling and lacks general GM background. I could walk him through this process, but can't afford bring up parts to him and hold his hand each time. Additionally, as the interface will be a universal vehicle adapter design (GTO, Vette, Grand Prix, F-Body, Cobalt, HHR, etc), I anticipate heavy and diverse demand from mixed vehicle platforms wanting conversions. So I may very well have to open up my own shop to warehouse parts if nothing else, let alone oversee that conversions are done right and consistently. :tiphat

·
Registered
2007 chevy
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Update

No go...we developed a leak around the connector for some reason and didn't have time to connect the two cooling lines. Lastly, we have to wait until Tuesday for the dipstip and tube, although that's not critical for a test start/run.

Oh yeah...and I may have figured out how to work the 4L80 as well. Not sure if it'll work with TCI's six speed setup though, but with 4L80's being stout that would make the best bang for the buck upgrade insurance or replacement.

As you can see the 4L80 is smaller in body than a 6L90. 6L90 is only about an inch longer than a 6L80....so it'll fit. Not sure about the crossmember though. And AWD guys will still have to get a custom 32 spline input shaft like mine to accept it. BUT for now I see it as totally doable.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 chevy
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Sorry guys. This is on 2-3 week hold as we are at a point of having to develop a complete computer module. I have, unfortunately, taken this as far as I can go personally, so it is in the hands of professionals.

As usual, I am pushing all parties, self included, to get it done ASAP. Thankfully the dealership is still very interested in helping and making this work, so we have a good service point once the prototype module is created.

I believe that I have all the information and experts on hand to accomplish this ASAP. I am just waiting for diagnostic equipment to arrive. :tiphat

·
Registered
2007 chevy
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
We are in the beginning stages negotiating a GM license and working on a modified harness design. Currently showing to be still on track for late August completion.

·
Registered
2007 chevy
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Yesssss

:hail: :woot: :bonk::woohoo:IT'S ALIVE...IT'S ALIVE!!!!!! Took her for a maiden voyage around the block. Only doing 2nd gear now, speedo inop,check engine light on. Gotta change a few wires around then thake it to get the TCM Flashed!! I'd post video but there is nothing sensational about a factory muffled truck in one gear

41 - 60 of 74 Posts