Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Let's do something about those filthy lenses, shall we?
Lay the lens flat on the workbench and you will notice a small notch.
Wood Musical instrument Road surface Flooring Hardwood

Insert a flat bladed screwdriver into that notch and lift up.
Musical instrument Road surface Wood Natural material String instrument

The lens insert will come out of the lens.
Wood Motor vehicle Gas Tints and shades Font

The insert is held in by a small projection.
Brown Wood Gas Circle Metal

Oh, yeah. Looks like dead bugs to me!
Brown Wood Rectangle Wood stain Gas

The insert has a shaped metal reflector that sits in two slots. It will come right off the insert.
Wood Bag Denim Beige Pattern

After spending some quality time with hot water, liquid dish soap, and an old toothbrush, I'm liking these a lot better!
Wood Automotive exterior Gas Automotive lighting Tints and shades

Next, we'll install these on Snowball.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Nice! Yeah my lenses were very dirty as well, I just soaked them in soapy water and ran some water through them several times and they cleaned up well.
Thanks, nnorton44! You must have posted while I was writing the next one! I really do like these on my TB!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well, these mirrors aren't doing me much good on the workbench, are they? Let's get them on the TB!
The first thing I did was to lower the window. That way I could hold the new mirror in place while starting one of the nuts, although there is a small clip on the mirror to hold it in place.
Car Mirror Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive side-view mirror

If you've never removed the door panels on your TB (note: the other makes may be different, but the general idea is the same) be very careful removing the door handle trim pieces. They are held in place by plastic prongs which are easy to snap off, and then the trim piece won't be as secure. There are aftermarket (Dorman) parts available, but from what I've read they don't stay in place well at all! Around the inner edge of the trim piece are 4 small openings. Use a very small screwdriver and reach into the opening and push the plastic prongs away from the door handle bezel. Be careful as the plastic is getting old and is easily broken.
Finger Automotive tire Thumb Nail Vehicle door

Once trim piece is removed, insert a flat tool (preferably plastic) under the front and rear of the window control bezel and pry up. You can see the two clips which snap into the two holes in the door panel. These what you need to pry up. There are in there firmly, but not grossly tight. Remove the electrical connectors. They are all different, and keyed so they will only go into the socket one way. There's no way to get the wrong connector into the wrong socket.
Bumper Trunk Hood Automotive exterior Gas

Next, remove the two 10mm bolts holding the arm rest to the door. Use a nut driver or a socket and extension. There is one at the rear end of the window control bezel hole
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Fender Bumper

and one down inside the hole at the rear of the arm rest. They might be a bit tight, but you'll get them out.
Grey Tints and shades Plant Wood Human leg

Now we need to remove the door panel itself. It is held on by a metal clip at the mirror, and plastic clips around the perimeter of the door panel itself. A plastic trim removal tool is helpful here. A good tug at the clips will pop them out. If one of the clips does break , Dorman makes some which work well, surprisingly. They are part #702-001, and I bought them at O'Reilly Auto Parts, although they are available elsewhere as well.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive mirror Vehicle Automotive design

The wires that got to the mirror are retained by a clip in the door panel. that clip has a zip-tie type thing in in and has a tendency to break while trying to get clip out of the door. If it does, it's not a big deal.
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Automotive tire

The hole in the door frame where the mirror mounts is plugged by a foam insert. It just pulls out. Save it for reuse.
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

Now you can see the 3 10mm nuts and the small clip that hold the mirror to the door. I'm assuming that the clip is there to hold the mirror in place while the nuts are installed on the assembly line. Remove the 3 nuts, and while holding the mirror, push down on the small clip. The mirror will come off the door.
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design

Installing the new mirror is the reverse of removal. I didn't take pics of that part. The top edge of the door panel sits in the channels on the top edge of the door.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Gonna have to finish this in the next post. Reached my 10 pic per post limit.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I found that the most frustrating part of this whole job was getting door panel to sit properly in those channels. Keep at it, you'll get it! Once you've got it properly seated, go around the door starting at the top edges and snap the door panel retainers back into their holes. Reinstall the two 10mm bolts holding the arm rest to the door. I used a nut driver rather than a socket and extension, and for the rear bolt I used a small piece of masking tape to hold the bolt to the nut driver. Once it was installed and tightened down a tug on the nut driver broke the tape. That way I didn't risk dropping the bolt down the inside of the door panel. Plug the electrical connectors back into the window control bezel and snap it back into place. Install the door handle trim piece, making sure to align the two plastic posts with their holes in the door handle bezel. Looks pretty good, doesn't it?
Plant Car Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle Mirror

The drivers door handle trim piece had a broken prong, so I found some good ones at the automotive recycling facility and painted them up nice. They look better than the faded gray ones that were on there! I used gloss black, because that's what I had on hand, and gave them a couple coats of matte UV-resistant clear. I got some for the wife's '06 as well.
And now: the moment we've all (at least me) been waiting for-will it WORK?
Automotive tail & brake light Car Grille Vehicle Hood

YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!! The light bulb in there is blinking! To quote Bill Murray in “Stripes”: Gentlemen, we... are... in... Germany!” Here's a front shot, although you can't see them real well here:
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Land vehicle Vehicle

During daylight hours, they aren't really noticeable from the driver's seat, but when it gets dark you can definitely tell that they're blinking. The lens insert blocks the light itself from being visible to the driver, and from the front of the vehicle you can't really see the light bulb either. You can definitely see it from the side, though.
All told, with the cost of the mirrors for both vehicles, and the 10 pack of new #194 bulbs, this project cost me right at $110. It was easy to do, and plug-&-play all the way. I don't know if the mirrors are the same for the other GMT360 platform vehicles, but if you can find some for your vehicle, go for it!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts