Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking of modding my '05 TB LS 4x4 this summer :woot: and I'm looking for guidance from the gurus! Here's a tentative list of what the project entails:

1) 2.5" SMaxx kit for the front
2) Z71 Springs for the rear
3) New shocks front/rear (if necessary)
4) 1.5" 6x5" to 6x5.5" wheel adapters
5) 16"x7.5" Hummer H3 wheels w/ 6x5.5" bolt pattern (38 mm backspace?)
6) 265/70/R16 BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO's all around

That said, now for the fine details!

1) Given the lift/wheel/tire specs, will this setup theoretically fit with little/no modification?
2) If it won't fit, what tire size do you recommend? 255/70?
2) How do you recommend to recalibrate the speedometer for the larger tires?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Excellent mod list, and it should fit fine. The best bang for the buck mod is a PCMforless tune, and they can fix the tire size while they have the hood open on your PCM.

And while you're into the front struts, I'd say do the shock change - not a maybe, but for sure. You don't want to compress those springs twice, and the OEM shocks (even though they're Bilsteins) are not up to enthusiast standards. As a trailvoy member, you are assumed to be an enthusiast, not a mere driver. :thumbsup:

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
Utah = rock country... I've got #7 for ya... (you bet your arse this is a shameless plug!)

Mike :D

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
203 Posts
will fit fine. i have exact set up right now! just running 265/75/16's instead.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may have a sale Mike! If I save some money on the lift by buying one from Markmc, I may just have to pick up a skid plate, you know, for safe's sake! :thumbsup:

So here's another question. Would the 265/70/16's still fit if I kept the stock 16" wheels to save some cash?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
294 Posts
That is a nice set-up and if i were you i would run the same size tire as 06 Blazin. And personally i think that 06 Blazin has one of the best set-ups with appearance. So good luck and listen to Roadie because he knows best. Change those shocks, i wish i had. But there fine for now...

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,329 Posts
You may have a sale Mike! If I save some money on the lift by buying one from Markmc, I may just have to pick up a skid plate, you know, for safe's sake! :thumbsup:

So here's another question. Would the 265/70/16's still fit if I kept the stock 16" wheels to save some cash?
I was going to run 265-75s, and they are a bit taller than 265-70s... 265-70s would be 30.6" roughly, 265-75s are 31.7" roughly.

06Blazin is running 265-75s with spacers and they fit fine with his lift.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,614 Posts
if your going for all this, i'd do 32's so you can get the most out of the lift

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After more thinking, I may hold off on the new wheels and adapters and just keep the stock wheels until maybe next year. I'm about due for new tires as it is, and was planning to do the lift at the same time. I still have to drive down to St. George at least once a month for the next 15 months so I'm trying to compromise between daily driving & commuting vs off road capability.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
Without spacers you are limited to ~30.5" tires. So to get bigger tires, you would need spacers anyways. Spacers are the only way you can change your bolt pattern... so why not just change the wheels too?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry to double post, but I just found the Z71 springs and shocks on EBay!!! (Item #200304425290) It has begun!!! :bonk:

·
Registered
203 Posts
may want to add possibly trimming just so the tire does rub the inner wheel well depending on the size you do finally choose. mine really didn't need it however i did it anyway just because when it does see rougher terrain i wanted some articulation with out rubbing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Nice truck I would do what roadie said and replace the strut shocks when the springs are compressed. The first time. For me I'm going to have to do it the second tome and not looking forward to it. I did'nt have the money for them at the time. You can get heave duty Bilsteins all 4 for $175....

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't notice the pic you posted 06Blazin, that looks awesome! I'm not trying to intentionally copying everything you did. I passed an H3 the other day and I thought the wheels looked cool and thought that would be a nice customization. I may stick with they 265/70's so there would be less of a chance that I would have to trim, but I will cross that bridge when I get there.

I think I will replace the front shocks when I have the struts apart. I may just use the shocks that are coming with the springs, and if I don't like how it rides I will swap them out for Bilsteins too.

So now for the really important question: When are we going to do an event down in Southern Utah?!?! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
i'm not sure what you mean about using the shocks the come with the springs, but definatley replace the stock ones, i made the mistake of not replacing them, and now have to redo it because i realized i f*d up by reusing the stocks... the ride on the highway feels kinda weird the front end has some bounce while the rear is stiff and truck like

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The springs I bought from Ebay come with the shocks that were on the 2007 Avalanche they came off of. I got both springs and shocks for $105 shipped so I was going to use the shocks too to save some cash.

Also, if anyone knows someone with some 16" 6x5.5" Hummer wheels laying around could you let me know?

·
Registered
203 Posts
best bet to get them for decent cost if you dont find anyone,...ebay. you can pick up a set for around 300 or so plus shipping some with free shipping. just when you do a search make sure you type "h3 wheel" so you don't get the h2's or h1's(8 lug)
*edit. i Pmed you chewy with a few links

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
oh i got you i thought you were talking about the front shocks! haha i made the mistake of not replacing the fronts... big mistake, and the rear z71's are better, they're longer and will give the axle more movement offroad

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well #5 can now be officially crossed off the list! I found a set of 6 lug Hummer wheels locally for $100! I pick them up tomorrow night after work!

1 - 20 of 116 Posts