Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is the Tekonsha P3 brake controller install How-To with pictures that I did for the "Articles" section 6 months ago, that hasn't been posted yet. I'm tired of e-mailing it to people, so I made it a PDF and hosted it on a friend's server in the mean time. It doesn't look quite as nice as the web view layout (page breaks), but the information is there.

8MB PDF is here:
http://www.hobicus.com/bartonmd/Trailblazer Brake Controller Install.pdf

Mike

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Great stuff. But an 8MB PDF is hugely oversize. If you resample those pics before putting them in the document, or change the Adobe preferences, that should be like a 1 MB PDF. IME as a tech writer, that is.

·
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know... I did the higher quality pics in the Word document because it was for a web page, but the Word file was 9.5MB... It ended up that I just had a sales/marketing guy here at work make it a PDF for me, and he said it didn't give him any options for quality with this one, for whatever reason...

If somebody can make the file smaller, that'd be great (I don't have Distiller). I can e-mail the Word doc...

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks

OK, this is the Tekonsha P3 brake controller install How-To with pictures that I did for the "Articles" section 6 months ago, that hasn't been posted yet. I'm tired of e-mailing it to people, so I made it a PDF and hosted it on a friend's server in the mean time. It doesn't look quite as nice as the web view layout (page breaks), but the information is there.

8MB PDF is here:

Mike
I appreciate the article regarding the brake controller. I purchased my trailblazer last year, and I have a pop-up camper that I want to tow with it. I am interested in the prodigy controller, and although I have a pre-wired tow package, I was not sure how to connect it. I am assuming that chevy has not provided a "plug in" wiring harness for 2008 that I can purchase an adapter for.

·
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the article regarding the brake controller. I purchased my trailblazer last year, and I have a pop-up camper that I want to tow with it. I am interested in the prodigy controller, and although I have a pre-wired tow package, I was not sure how to connect it. I am assuming that chevy has not provided a "plug in" wiring harness for 2008 that I can purchase an adapter for.
Did you read the PDF?? It's all in there...

ALL TB's with tinted windows are wired for the 7-pin trailer connector (I used to say "all", but there was somebody on here last month with a BASE, BASE model TB, that had a factory 4-pin connector, and no 7-pin) and the pigtail under the dash that you solder or crimp the wires on your brake controller's included pigtail to...

My '07's wiring harness is shown in the picture in the PDF file. I seriously doubt they changed it to a plug-in type pigtail like the trucks get, for the last full year of production.

BTW, if you're getting a Prodigy, get it off of eBay... I got my first one for $125 shipped BIN, then picked up another one for a friend a couple months later for $112 shipped BIN...

Mike

·
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not a problem, gentlemen... It's been like 9 months now since I submitted it for the articles section, and it's still not up... still waiting...

Mike

·
Registered
2007 saab 9_7x
30 Posts
According to my Prodigy manual it could be installed horizontal from anywhere between 0 to 70 degrees. I did make sure it was facing correctly but didn't worry about it being anywhere near perfectly horizontal and level. By taking this into consideration I mounting it in the same area just up higher which makes it a little closer within arm’s length and using only the snap in bracket housing makes it mount closer to the dash without sticking out as much.

·
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
According to my Prodigy manual it could be installed horizontal from anywhere between 0 to 70 degrees. I did make sure it was facing correctly but didn't worry about it being anywhere near perfectly horizontal and level. By taking this into consideration I mounting it in the same area just up higher which makes it a little closer within arm’s length and using only the snap in bracket housing makes it mount closer to the dash without sticking out as much.
Correct... It can be between 0 and 70 degrees forward to back, but has to be horizontal and in the direction of travel side to side...

Mike

ETA: your location isn't shown, but by the Colts helmet in your avatar, I'm guessing you're from Indiana... we're having the midwest meet at Eagle Creek park at noon on Sunday, if you want to stop by! Check out the thread on it in the Midwest section...

·
Registered
2007 saab 9_7x
30 Posts
Correct... It can be between 0 and 70 degrees forward to back, but has to be horizontal and in the direction of travel side to side...

Mike

ETA: your location isn't shown, but by the Colts helmet in your avatar, I'm guessing you're from Indiana... we're having the midwest meet at Eagle Creek park at noon on Sunday, if you want to stop by! Check out the thread on it in the Midwest section...
Yes, I am from Marion, IN. Already have plans for this Sunday maybe next time. I am busy with Softball. Thanks!

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
6 Posts
!

8MB PDF is here:

Mike
Thanks very much for the write-up. Very helpful! Never would've found the correct wires without it :thx

·
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks very much for the write-up. Very helpful! Never would've found the correct wires without it :thx
Not a problem at all, I was installing it anyway, so may as well...

By the way, I got a PM from a guy saying that I should mention in my file that there is a red wire in your fuse block that you have to connect to the +B stud there, IF you want to power an RV or the fail-safe brake battery on a trailer... If not, you don't have to connect it (mine is not connected, though I have the nut on the stud so that I can connect it at a moments notice...

Mike

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
6 Posts
Yep, that is correct. I noticed that in another post. Found a M6 nut laying around and connected it. My trailer has some interior lights that are powered off the +12V from the 7-pin plug. Haven't had a chance to test it yet though, but the brake controller has power and looks to be in working order.

·
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, that is correct. I noticed that in another post. Found a M6 nut laying around and connected it. My trailer has some interior lights that are powered off the +12V from the 7-pin plug. Haven't had a chance to test it yet though, but the brake controller has power and looks to be in working order.
Yes, and just for the record to those who read this, the brake controller and trailer brakes will work just fine, even if you don't connect that ring terminal... It's JUST for "aux" power to the trailer...

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
prodigy brake controller install by Mike

Brake controller install instructions were EXCELLENT !! Pictures were GREAT !! Installed Prodigy on my Buick Rainier and it works perfect ,Thanks for all the effort you put into posting this ; Dave, doo555

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
Brake Controller Harness Wire Colors

I just put a brake controller into my SO's '03 Trailblazer. For the record, the 12V Battery wire was orange, not red.

Not sure why GM (aka Government Motors now) would have different harness colors, but just thought I'd mention it.

:m2:

·
Registered
2008 trailblazer_lt
20 Posts
From over at the Corvette forum, someone had problems with testing the emergency back-up battery by just disconnecting the break-out switch.

"After performing this test several times (each time I took the trailer out) my Prodigy started indicating NC (no connection) intermittently. I read the directions for the Prodigy and they said don't perform this test while connected. It turns out that the 12vdc of the emergency circuit backfeeds into the output of the Prodigy and can cause some problems.

My Prodigy still works, however, its a little disconcerting to have "NC" flash once in awhile at 65 mph.

If a trailer breaks away it'll probably electrically disconnect from the tow vehicle about the same time the emergency brake system comes on..... its a matter of how long the umbilical wiring is compared to the safety lanyard
"

You might want to add this note to your excellent write-up

Steve L.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts