Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On now, and whew - do these puppies weigh a ton! I went down to 16" rims from my OEM 17's to get more sidewall height when aired down. After a bunch of thought and advice from here, I went with American Racing Mojave teflons in 16X8, and 6X5.5" stud pattern. Not available in 6X5". They only come in 4.5" backspacing, which is a bit unfortunate because I was hoping for more, to reduce the track width a bit, but no matter. Just involved a bit more cutting on the back of the front wheelwell, including the infamous fender bracket.

Tires are a new ProComp tread pattern, Xtreme M/T, in LT265/75-16. Load range E, 10-ply rating, they say. 2 steel belts. No Kevlar, but my former Silent Armors were no more resistant to punctures than I expected. Measure 32" with new tread. About 1/3 as noisy as I thought they would be, due to computer designed tread to minimize droning. Wheel caps on back order.

Tires and wheels (5, so I have a full-size spare) were just under $1900, mounted, balanced and shipped from Texas by a vendor I found on Pirate 4X4:

Chris Darnell
4 Wheel Customs, Inc.
417-881-8747
www.4wheelcustoms.com

Spacer/adapters from Fred Goeske at www.wheeladapter.com, another $380.

Feeling of having bulletproof tires: priceless.

Original protrusion:

Now:

Spacer with hubcentric lip:

Cutting area:

Material removed from one side:

One tire:

Rear view:

Ta-daaaaaa:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx. I took off my OEM Continentals at 12,000 miles or so, I think, a couple of years ago. Put on 31.5" diameter Wrangler Silent Armors, and wheeled the snot off of them for 2 years and 40,000 miles. They have a 50,000 mile tread life warranty, but not for the way I wheel them. Only one of them has zero patches. Two of them have three patches each, and one of them I destroyed in this year's Sierra trip and recycled it. I had to buy a couple of used Goodrich K/Os to finish the trip and limp home, and I'll sell those locally. The Wranglers I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy after I got through abusing them. But if you're looking for new tires, ProComp is having a buy 3, get 1 free until the end of October.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
261 Posts
:droolIm just super jealous and at a loss of words right now.:drool
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
2,903 Posts
Sooooooooooo bad ass. You've done it again. :hail:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
No reply...Im still in shock. What you should do is stick a stop sign to the spare tire :D I don't know why I thoguht of that but as soon as I looked at it, I felt as thoguh it needs one.

BTW, doesn't your resonator scape a lot? Why don't you just cut it off and weld on a straight pipe?

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
Thx. I took off my OEM Continentals at 12,000 miles or so, I think, a couple of years ago. Put on 31.5" diameter Wrangler Silent Armors, and wheeled the snot off of them for 2 years and 40,000 miles. They have a 50,000 mile tread life warranty, but not for the way I wheel them. Only one of them has zero patches. Two of them have three patches each, and one of them I destroyed in this year's Sierra trip and recycled it. I had to buy a couple of used Goodrich K/Os to finish the trip and limp home, and I'll sell those locally. The Wranglers I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy after I got through abusing them. But if you're looking for new tires, ProComp is having a buy 3, get 1 free until the end of October.
That looks AWESOME!

Yeah, the goodyears are supposedly a really good all season street tire, but not really meant for the rocks out there like you wheel on. I will probably put them on the wife's TB, because they're the only all season, all terrain tire that officially qualifies as a severe service snow tire. You did like them, otherwise, didn't you?

Congratts!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No reply...Im still in shock. What you should do is stick a stop sign to the spare tire :D I don't know why I thoguht of that but as soon as I looked at it, I felt as thoguh it needs one.
Hehe. I'm considering this Surco spare tire rack.

BTW, doesn't your resonator scape a lot? Why don't you just cut it off and weld on a straight pipe?
The resonator did indeed scrape more, until I bashed it up out of the way on one ledge and now the lower surface is dented also. It will get removed and replaced with a pipe when I design the custom rear bumper, so it will come out the side like my inspiration, the Trail Lexus. Remember me posting pics of that two years ago?

Oh, and bartonmd - the Wrangler Silent Armors were otherwise the best set of tires I've owned in 35 years. Very strongly recommended. Wranglers, not the Forteras.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Looks great! You'll really enjoy them once you take them off road. Think off the added track width as body protection. I'm surprised you had to trim so much plastic. I'm glad I stuck with the stock wheels now when i put on the 285's. I did trim a little but I also screwed the plastic back to the firewall area and moved the front part further forward. I wanted to keep as much as possible because of the New York winters and rain. Now I know at least what the track with will be next year when I add the body lift and new wheels. How close are your tires to the upper ball joints with the spacers? Can you run them without?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm surprised you had to trim so much plastic.
I'm still hitting fender metal, too at mild compression in turns. It's because the wheels are pushed out more than they really need to be for that tire size, and that moves the edge of the tire out and it hits. I've just ordered some rubber fender molding as a first attempt to have some kind of flares on after I take the Sawzall to the metal. A body lift would have cured all that, but I decided early on to not get the body lift. Odd choice for me, who puts on every other kind of mod.
I'm glad I stuck with the stock wheels now when i put on the 285's....How close are your tires to the upper ball joints with the spacers? Can you run them without?
Over two inches to the ball joint. If these wheels only came drilled for 6X5", or offered a choice with more backspacing, I could have run without spacers, but they only come in 6X5.5", so my spacers also adapt the stud pattern. Can't run these wheels without them.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt_xl
206 Posts
Yeah the Body lift would of helped but u have Air in the rear so u cant us it now, just did mine lastnight. here are some pics to show u how much higher u could of been. Only mod is the 2" body lift right now. Damn your VOY is looking good too, sorry about the little hijack

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
That looks great Roadie...and I'm sure that they'll gladly take the abuse you throw at them. I looked at those tires...but when I was looking for wheels/tires, I was dead set on not getting a mud tire. Now, I'm dead set on the XMT's, and have been for a few weeks. Even though I won't be playing in mud with it...those tires still provide a lot more all around function than an all terrain tire would. I'm either caught between those, and the Nitto Dune grapplers still. We'll see...you can be the guinea pig for those tires. Can't wait to see them in action.

EDIT: Also, how loud are they on the highway? And, how about general driveability...how do they ride, and how's the handling and all with them, compared to a highway tire? Thanks.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah the Body lift would of helped but u have Air in the rear so u cant us it now...
I don't know any technical reason I couldn't have the body lift. Maybe factory air suspension rules it out, but I have normal OEM coils. Plus a BDS spacer on top and SuspensionMAXX on the bottom and Airlift1000 bags in the middle. But I might be changing all that out in favor of some Tahoe springs I just snagged for $44 on Ebay. Will know more in a week or so after they arrive.

The no-body lift decision wasn't easy, but the kit came out just after I put on my rock sliders a couple of years ago. And I had them welded to the frame instead of bolted. So changing them now would be a little work. Not enough to stop me, but a data point nonetheless. Then I had the custom bumper designed without the body lift, and changing it now would be a medium amount of work.

But the real decision point came when I examined my need to ever go to 33 or 34" tires. With 3.73 gears, the hard-core offroaders would never even think of going over 31". Especially with 4.10 or the possibility of retrofitting 4.56, the amplified torque would put the CV joints, u-joints, and axle splines at greater risk of breakage. My goal is to have the optimum compromise for functionality and safety on the trails I tend to attempt, which are not really hard-core rock gardens, but what's called expedition driving. (I've posted before about www.expeditionportal.com and the new magazine Overland Journal).

Too-big tires are heavier, harder on the running gear, and didn't bring much benefit of getting me on any trails that currently thwart me. So the sweet spot (for me, again) was 31-32", and for that I didn't need the body lift and the slightly higher center of gravity that came with that. I didn't anticipate where the Mojave wheels were going to end up for backspacing, and that's unfortunate, but for aired-down functionality, I really wanted to go down to 16" rims from my original 17's to get more sidewall height.

Now I've rambled on and on about my decision process, I realize my motives don't have to be the same as anybody else. But I've been on plenty of hair-raising trails with my former setup that I would not have believed possible two years ago, and even if this upgrade doesn't let me attempt harder ones, it will give me more safety margin and peace of mind on my current favorites. It might help folks to understand me if they knew that my college major degree was in electrical engineering, but with a minor in philosophy. Har!

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,268 Posts
Looks good Bill.

As usual, you set the tone in here.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...Also, how loud are they on the highway? And, how about general driveability...how do they ride, and how's the handling and all with them, compared to a highway tire? Thanks.
I was also dead set against a M/T tire because I hear a lot of them on lifted F150s a mile away and the drone is like a beehive. But the reviews and claims for these ProComps were all true - there's almost NO drone. And zero blockiness to the ride. The computer-designed tread pattern manages to smooth out the highway ride AND stop the noise before it starts. They are definitely quieter than the used K/O's I just took off the front.

I've done 100 miles of highway driving so far, but my tools are still spread out in the back so I haven't done any aggressive twisties yet to experiment. Should be going out to the desert next weekend for a rock and sand tryout. Depends if I can find a dog-sitter, because Mrs. Roadie is out of town.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
349 Posts
There was something very humbling about what you were able to tackle with your old tires. It proved the point of bigger is not always better and skill/experience go a long way. The truck looks even better now though, best of luck with them.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
605 Posts
Way to go roadie!!! :hail:Looks awesome, fer' sure!!! Nasty off-road pics are now mandatory!!!:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts