Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, so I am having issues with my keyless remote (for 2003 Envoy XL) as of this morning. Went to un-lock my truck this morning but it wouldn't so I used my key. I of course have the anti-theft in my truck, so it won't let me start it now, it just beeps & lights flash, it's pretty embarrassing. Anyways I cannot get a new battery for my remote until my husband gets home. The one thing I am wondering though is that I have a light on my keyless remote which is still lighting when I press any lock or un-lock button, so I'm wondering if it's not the battery in the remote at all & something else all together. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as I am now stranded for the day.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
293 Posts
Has anything changed at all since the last time you used it?

Do you have a 2nd one?

If you get inside the truck and use the key fob can you unlock it then? like a dying battery basically.

It could be possible you need to reprogram the fob but if it worked fine and nothing has changed then I would suggest this as a last resort.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, nothing has changed at all & I just used it yesturday afternoon. One of my kids may have pressed a couple of buttons on the keyless remote, but they have a million times & I never had any problems. The keyless remote will not work at all once I'm in my truck, yet the light on it is still working. I'd look all this up in my manual, but the darn thing is in French (I live in Canada), so I'm really at a loss.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Maybe stand beside it and try all the different buttons to get something out of it?

And I am sure I will get picked on, but hold the remote to your chin and try it like that, if the battery is dying it will help it reach a bit further.....laugh it up but I swear it works!

I would think there is some kind of override for starting it but maybe not with the alarm system. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The light on the remote might still come on with a battery that's too low to transmit.

BUT, the car should still start using the key. That's the whole idea of having a Passlock system on the ignition switch. A dead fob should never leave you stranded. Explain exactly what happens when you try to use the key to start it.

A dying or discharged battery in the vehicle could leave the power locks inoperative, so you should also look at the voltage gauge on the dashboard when you put in the key and turn it on, but don't start the car just yet. What voltage does it read?

Then try to start the car. Does it click, turn over, or just do nothing? You may have the common ignition switch failure if it's not a dead battery.

And finally, replacement manuals in English are available on this site, under the "Resources" pull down menu. Enjoy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, I can't actually turn over the truck at all, once I put they keys in the ignition & turn it in the on position that's when all the alarms start going off, so I can't read the voltage for my battery or anything. I've actually had this problem before, once when I had un-locked the truck, but then locked it again (all with the keyless remote) & then went to start the truck the alarms went off. All I had to do though was hit un-lock again with the remote & it was fine. I agree a dead keyless remote should not leave me stranded. Also once I un-lock the truck with my key, my anti-theft light on the dash is still blinking, I never noticed whether it blinks after my truck has been un-locked or not before. I will check out the on-line manual. Thanks for your help!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The factory alarm should go off when you open the door, not when you turn the key.

Is this a factory alarm with a GM fob?

If not, you really should have mentioned it in the first post. It would be very difficult to diagnose that kind of aftermarket system without knowing more about it. Whoever installed it (if it's an aftermarket system) should be able to tell you if they put in a manual defeat switch somewhere hidden, precisely for this situation.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Well, then I don't understand it. The system should disable itself by using the key in the ignition. When you couldn't get in using the remote, did you unlock the driver's or the passenger's door with the key? If you used the driver's door, and the latch mechanism is working properly, that should have ALSO disarmed the system.

What state is the vehicle in now? Is the security light flashing? If you open the driver's door, and push the unlock button to unlock all the doors, does the security light stop flashing?

All I can think of now is that Canadian vehicles are different, and that's not documented well enough in my shop manual. Sorry.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
Well, then I don't understand it. The system should disable itself by using the key in the ignition. When you couldn't get in using the remote, did you unlock the driver's or the passenger's door with the key? If you used the driver's door, and the latch mechanism is working properly, that should have ALSO disarmed the system.

What state is the vehicle in now? Is the security light flashing? If you open the driver's door, and push the unlock button to unlock all the doors, does the security light stop flashing?

All I can think of now is that Canadian vehicles are different, and that's not documented well enough in my shop manual. Sorry.
The passenger's door has a key hole?

·
Registered
293 Posts
would it matter if she has a aftermarket key?

Do our keys have a chip or something in them? Meaning if she had one cut for a spare at walmart would it still work the same in the ignition?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
We have what's called the Passlock security system, so the magic is in the key cylinder, built into the steering column. The "special key" system you're thinking of is the Passkey system. We don't have that.

·
Registered
293 Posts
We have what's called the Passlock security system, so the magic is in the key cylinder, built into the steering column. The "special key" system you're thinking of is the Passkey system. We don't have that.
ok thanks for that answer...I have always wondered....lol I off to walmart then..lol

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
hmmmmm i've never seen a factory gm remote with an indicator light do you have picture of this remote?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts