Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok hears the speal!

I was sitting in a parking lot waiting for my daughter, once she arrived we left. while pulling out the envoy reved and clunked (almost like reving in neutral and dropping into drive.) We continued down the road and there was a weird noise under the vehicle. (crap the trannys going out) Once home I parked it and proceeded to check it out. It made a clunk sound when shifting from drive to rev and back to drive. Hmmm perhaps bad ujoint. crawed under neith and couldnt find a bad ujoint but did find that when I turned the transfer case shaft a simular noise occured.

What bothered me with this is perhaps the transfercase is bad but why would it act like the trany slipped and slammed into gear?

I drove the vehicle again and it didnt do it, problem gone.

later it happened again so I switched into 4 hi and back to 2 hi and it quit. Its happened a couple times now and each time if I switch to 4 hi and back to 2 hi it quits.

Im thinking tranfer case moter but it seems to be working, I can hear it engauging and the 4x4 does work.

My question to envoy land is will the transfer case engauge itself without the switch being turned to awd or 4 hi and can it make the tranny slip and clunk like it did.

Also i keep reading about sun gear issues in the transmissions but the trans shifts correctly when going down the road.

Is there any issues that anyone has heard of or read with the same problems and can be remedied by switching to 4 hi and back.

Thanks in advance for any info.

2003 GMC Envoy XLT, I6

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Have you changed the t-case fluid every 50k miles as required?

Have you checked the fluid level in the t-case?

Yes, the switch can go bad and change from 2HI to other settings on its own.

Does the light on the switch change?

You can try (with the key OFF) running the switch back and forth a few dozen times to clean the contacts. This may or may not help, but it is free and should be done regularly. Kind of a preventative maintenance.

You'll probably get more help. So check back. :m2:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, i religeously maintain the fluids.

Its definately something with the transfercase just not sure what.

Im really worried about the fact that it came out of gear and back in, not sure how the transfercase would do that. Unless maybe transfercase engaged and the front axels didnt allowing the power to freespin the front drive shaft

1 - 3 of 3 Posts