Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy ya'll, just got off the phone with Fishy, he had no idea and said to put a post up here.

PROBLEM:
For the past 2 days the wife has complained the TBSS rear air suspension turns on whenever she goes out to the truck and unlocks it with the key fob to get in. It runs quite a bit. So I went out about 30 minutes ago to see for myself and sure enough, the compressor kicks on as soon as I hit the key fob to unlock. I got in and started it, and it was still running. Finally it shut off once I turned off the vehicle.

I got out, locked it, waited a couple minutes, hit it again and it came back on. I counted to as much as 3 minutes and it was still running, I did not see the rear rising at all though. As soon as I got in, started it, then shut it off it turned off as well.

Any ideas on this one?? (It has 47k miles, so I'll have to pay out of the pocket for the fix...I'm wondering if I will need lube :cry: )

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
1) Is the rear sagging down like it NEEDS to be pumped up to be at the right height?

2) The compressor has an error code flashing LED, assuming it's like the Envoys with the compressor option. It doesn't communicate on the normal serial bus, so you have to look at the LED to see what it's complaining about. Do you have the compartment on the right with the inflator hose? If so, is the LED flashing?

·
Registered
2006 chevy
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE: Compressor does not turn on if you unlock and open the truck with THE KEY.

I'll have to wait a bit to check on the LED thing, it generally takes a few minutes for the problem to happen again. Rear is not sagging from my point of view.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just went out and checked again. This thing is bat ****. The compressor light was on SOLID on the ON/OFF switch inside the air hose box. When I pushed it....it turned off! However, I proceeded to shut the liftgate and hit the lock button on the fob, and the compressor turned back on!! It's as if the key fob is activating the compressor on/off. Had to start the truck and then shut it off to get it to STFU.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
The BCM isn't involved, if it's the same as the earlier air suspension option on Envoys. It only should come on when the ignition switch is physically in the RUN mode.

Need somebody with a newer shop manual than mine to look into it. There were no SS in 2004.

Or trailvoy could BUY me the right manual. :D

·
Registered
2007 gmc
11,773 Posts
The BCM isn't involved, if it's the same as the earlier air suspension option on Envoys. It only should come on when the ignition switch is physically in the RUN mode.

Need somebody with a newer shop manual than mine to look into it. There were no SS in 2004.

Or trailvoy could BUY me the right manual. :D
However, the BCM is what is activated when the remote is used to unlock the doors. Something isnt playing well together.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
The BCM wakes up the rest of the car, but the old air compressor doesn't even have a data link to talk to it. It figures out when to wake up when the RUN bus gets power from the ignition switch.

Yeah, there's a chance the SS got an intelligent compressor. Let me go look at part numbers. Hmmm, I don't see it. Do the SS have the little coiled up inflator hose in the compartment on the right?

Mystery to me. Might need a dealer. :cry:

There's no remote start gadget on this, right?

·
Registered
2006 chevy
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes, there is a coiled up air line in the compartment in the rear.

No remote start function.

My BCM was replaced once already approximately a year ago already when the theft lock system when retard-o on me.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you have a meter and know how to use it? Check the Brown and Orange wires at the compressor harness. Orange should be 12V all the time. Browh should be 12V only in the RUN mode of the ignition switch.
Nope, sorry, no meter. I think regardless, something needs to be fixed so I am probably stuck going to the dealer either way.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,285 Posts
I have a little knowledge in the area of the rear air...Ive had to replace my compressor 3x since I bought my 02 Envoy, and 2 weeks ago, I replaced the "switch" in the rear compartment.

Sounds to me like the switch is shorted out for the rear air accessory (inflator) and is stuck "on". Thats why the light is on solid.

The rear air accessory kit works with the ignition off, so whenever you unlock the doors with the key fob, it resets the "automatic shutoff" the truck gets for xx minutes after you turn the ignition off. Hence, why it turns on right away, the xx minute delay is reset. It probably keeps on tripping itself and overheating thats why it comes back on after 3 minutes.... Im betting this is your problem.

I bought my rear air switch assembly (included new harnesses and rear air accessory air line) for $65 or so online at gmpartsdirect. Took about 15 minutes to install.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aha! That explains it all! Bad accessory switch. :hail: :tiphat

And as a temporary fix - easy to unplug and ignore if one never uses the inflator.
where would this be? At the vry least I can unplug it and it will serve as a test to see if that is the issue.

This is a lease vehicle, and will be turned in or traded in less than 1 year from now. So taking it into the dealer and having them tell me there is some $1500+ fix after parts and labor aint happening. I'll trade the damn thing in, roll the negative to the new vehicle, and pay the negative roll-in with cash as a down payment before I sink $1500+ into fixing this and then paying $4000+ in payments over the next 10 months. I already have to drop $6-700 right now for new tires that are required.

Thanks all.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
... tips are appreciated though...
OK. Here's mine. Don't depend on trailvoy to pay the bills. :cool:

where would this be?
Must ... resist ... the ... fist ... of .............. sarcasm. :D

Trace the harness from the switch to the compressor. Pull it off at the compressor. It's the connector on the lower left side of item #17.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,285 Posts
BE CAREFUL!

On the bottom of the wiring harness - #17, it does NOT show the air hose for the accessory air. It must be loosened out of the compressor (compression fitting). Be VERY careful or you can break the little itsy bitsy brass compression collar when you take it off the old line and put it on the new one thats included in the new harness kit. I broke mine trying to pry it off the line. Very very very fortunate of me to have a spare compressor off ebay, and the schmuck who I bought it from cut all of the hoses and left all of the compression fittings on it so I was able to carefully take it off of the spare :thumbsup:

For the record, the part # is 15296435 and I paid $55.15 through gmpartsdirect. Shipping to Michigan was $6.81, which I thought was pretty reasonable because it came in a pretty big box, and all in all is bigger than it looks in the diagrams. Its about 2' long.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well, it stopped doing it today. Hasn't done it at all she said, and I couldn't get it to do it.

My guess why? The compressor is now burnt out....
With truck turned on, I went into the auxiliary air hose compartment and switch the hose to "On", and nothing works.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,285 Posts
Or the switch finally died, like mine did ;)

Go turn the key on, put some weight on the bumper. If it doesnt turn on, check the fuse in the underhood fuse block first.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.