Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

problem with crank pulley HELP ME PLEASE

18K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  brownga 
#1 ·
ok so get this.. im driving my tb at about 2am yesterday no problems. then i drive it today and my power steering goes out and volts drop down big time and im like WTF IS IT THIS TIME

dont know if this is what its called exactly but the crank pulley wasn't spinning on the motor "the main one at the bottom" took off the belt the bolt was loose and the wheel wobbled a lil. when i started the TB the main pulley wasnt moving but the bolt in it was. So my dad was telling go rent a puller to pull off the wheel. 80$ to rent but i get it all back when i return it so its free basically.

heres my question. i need to get that damn fan out of the way so i can get the puller in place and i dont even know where to start.

help/tips/comment/suggestions ANYTHING please.

#5 ·
Hello,it seems you are taking about the Crankshaft Balancer Bolt. You will at least need a $15.00 hayes repair. This is a guide of course.But from what your saying the BOLT needs to be Torqued on . This is a extremely high torque .Service manual is the best way to go really.Springbuck

#8 · (Edited)
Usually there is a key, but I think #905 is for the sprocket #127. It might be a press fit. You might have just broke the bond between the harmonic balancer and the hub. Either way you might a new one. I have seen sleeves and under size harmonic balancers to fix cranks that have been spun. Do not know if the TB has any avail.

#12 ·
Usually there is a key, but I think #905 is for the sprocket #127.
That sprocket runs the timing chain. No need to go that deeply for this. I gotta ask if there's a reason you're tackling this yourself and inviting frustration when you could get some experienced advice or help from a local mechanic? You're just mentioning confusion and frustration so much that it makes me worry that you might break something very expensive soon and be worse off. :confused:

#9 ·
well right now im busting my ass trying to get the whole fan section out.
my dad was saying that hes pretty sure its some piece of metal i forgot what he called it like a ring or a clip or something that is really cheap to buy.

so just to recap the harmonic balancer stuttered then completely stopped spinning. the bolt on it though kept going. took off belt, the pulley was real loose. the wheel would spin all the way to the right lockup a lil then keep going freely.

sorry for the lack of terms when im talking about this. ive never dealt with anything like this before.......welll back to getting that damn fan outta the way

#10 ·
im just soooooo consfused at this point i dont even know where to start with the fan. basically i just want it out of the way, for example just where it connects to the pulley take it straight out if possible. im reading through writeup but i just cant seem to understand it.

#15 ·
The first thing to do is to properly diagnose the problem, not just tear everything apart.

If you want to know how to get the fan clutch out, look for the "fan clutch 101" thread. It's all there. But if you don't have some mechanical experience, you won't be able to do it without a ton of handholding.

If you want your hand held, we'll do it, but only if you stop whining.

Now, if I look at the drawing above, what I see is that there is only one crank bolt, and it appears to me that if it is torqued down properly, that will solve your problem.

Now, "torqued down" and "properly" are the key terms. If you don't know what those terms mean, then you need to start at the sandbox level and take it one tiny baby step at a time.

Have you tried to torque that bolt? If so, how much torque did you apply? Did you use a torque wrench? Did the pulley still spin, even after the bolt was torqued?

Let us know and we'll try to help.

#16 ·
In addition, since I've never done this job, I didn't know the following, which another owner shared with me:

"he'd need to have the special tool (crankshaft balancer remover J 44226) to hold the crankshaft balancer and turn the bolt to 110 lb ft and an additional 180 degree(torque /angle meter J 36660-A)."

So, as you can see, tightening the crank pulley is not a simple matter. It takes a couple of sophisticated tools, and some fairly detailed knowledge. And tightening a bolt to 110 lbs/ft PLUS 180 degrees is gonna require some brute strength, or a very long lever. I would guess the ultimate torque will end up to be well over 250 lbs/ft.

So I guess I would amend my questions to ask whether you torqued the pulley down according to the procedure, and using the tools, specified in the shop manual?

I'm beginning to suspect that this problem is, in your case, one for the dealer, or an experienced/knowledgeable local shop.

#17 ·
I've never done this on an I6, so bear with me. If the balancer is freely spinning on the shaft, why do you need a puller to get it off? Or are you using the tool to press the balancer on? Also the book calls for a new bolt. This is not a situation were you want a bolt to break. As stated above, with the torque needed to tighten that bolt, you will also need a tool to hold the crankshaft from turning. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.