Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am doing the ball joints and I have released the upper control arm pinch and I noticed it makes a "rubber against metal" noise. I can't describe it, but imagine taking a piece of rubber and moving it across bare metal. It won't glide smoothly and if pushed hard enough makes that distinct rubbing sound.

My question is this....When do I know that the upper control arm needs to be replaced. What should I look for?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a similar theory; however, when the work is 90% done and the boots and ball joints are badly worn you have to ponder the idea of moving forward and complete the job or button it back up and wait to order the parts.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Wiggling. Looseness when you try to move the tire when it's getting aligned. The way the bushing's designed, it's going to make some amount of noise until it gets loose. Yours might be fine. Spray some silicone on the bushings and see if the noise goes down.

I just swapped mine out when it got too loose to align. Need to post pics, but the bushings were totally shot and breaking up. But I abuse mine offroad.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright...I completed one side and I am pissed off. The piece of **** loaner tool from autzone ripped my boot on the bottom! I stopped after the passenger side and decided it was best to either

1. Purchase a higher quality ball joint press with more than 3 receiver cups and a larger C-clamp (the one in there wasn't wide enough)

2. Just take the damn control arms out and have a machine shop press them.

Any advice on what you would do Roadie?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I use a mini pittman arm puller. Same size useful for tie rod ends. Once the horizontal bolt is out of the pinching part of the control arm, it's usually helpful to tap in a cold chisel to slightly relieve pressure on the pinching part. Mine drop out without the puller now. If yours have corroded in there, then you didn't use PB Blaster a day or two ahead of time, which is the universal advice we always give on undercarriage and suspension work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you press down DIRECTLY on the "bolt" portion of it?

how about the bottom one?

You are a great help...THANK YOU:thx

I just noticed, is that how you press the ball joint out of the knuckle or just the upper control arm? I used a chisel to pry it loose. I was speaking about pressing the ball joint out of the knuckle...both top and bottom.

The kit from autozone only had 3 receiving cups, neeither fit nicely...unfortunately goldylocks and the three bears were not the engineers for this one...

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
It hasn't been clear what part we're talking about. I thought it was control arms only. Sorry. I've changed about everything else in my suspension EXCEPT ball joints. I have no experience there. You'll have to hope somebody else comes along who's done it. I'll change the thread title to reflect your real need.

Also suggest running a search for ball joints.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.