Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As recommended in the manual? Or just stay with 10w/30w due to high miles on vehicle. I'm in S. California so no big temperature swings. Thanks for any input. c good

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
:iagree: and a good quality synthetic at that.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
That does seem a little too high, but I switched at 135k and currently at 138k and haven't seen any problems yet.. Using M1 Oil and Filter... still keeping my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
50 Posts
I'll take the other side of this argument and say to just stick with what you have. The first number is the viscosity rating at cold temperatures - which you never experience - and the second is at operating conditions. The further the numbers are apart, the less "oil" is in a quart and the more "modifiers" are present to make the oil act differently at differing temperatures. If cold starts are not an issue - read really cold like you only experience in northern climates - then you do not require 5w-30. In fact, a straight 30 weight oil would probably be more appropriate.

Will it really make a difference one way or the other - no.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,733 Posts
I'll take the other side of this argument and say to just stick with what you have. The first number is the viscosity rating at cold temperatures - which you never experience - and the second is at operating conditions. The further the numbers are apart, the less "oil" is in a quart and the more "modifiers" are present to make the oil act differently at differing temperatures. If cold starts are not an issue - read really cold like you only experience in northern climates - then you do not require 5w-30. In fact, a straight 30 weight oil would probably be more appropriate.

Will it really make a difference one way or the other - no.
I've seen this before and even used 10w30 in my older model vehicles, but with my Trailblazer being newish, and Govnt. Motors specifying 5w30, then I will stick to that.just my :m2:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
50 Posts
I've seen this before and even used 10w30 in my older model vehicles, but with my Trailblazer being newish, and Govnt. Motors specifying 5w30, then I will stick to that.just my :m2:
True, but the same dealer who handles my warranty work routinely uses 10w-30 in my Trailblazer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
10w30 is absolutely fine for your vehicle. I cannot think of an HM oil that is not a syn blend. They add esters (the synthetic part) for mild cleaning and seal swell. Stick with an HM oil: Maxlife at WalMart is cheap, and a very good oil. There is no NEED for a synthetic in this vehicle.. all GM OLM's are calibrated for conventional oils. The only thing a synthetic brings to the party is more tolerance at temperature extremes, (especially cold) and extended drain intervals. In California, where the temps are pretty steady, there would be no noticable advantage in a 5-30 vs. a 10-30, or in a full synthetic. There are a whole bunch of vehicles getting 200k on bulk conventional oil from Iffy Lubes to ignore that today's regular oils are up to the job.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
10w30 is absolutely fine for your vehicle. I cannot think of an HM oil that is not a syn blend. They add esters (the synthetic part) for mild cleaning and seal swell. Stick with an HM oil: Maxlife at WalMart is cheap, and a very good oil. There is no NEED for a synthetic in this vehicle.. all GM OLM's are calibrated for conventional oils. The only thing a synthetic brings to the party is more tolerance at temperature extremes, (especially cold) and extended drain intervals. In California, where the temps are pretty steady, there would be no noticable advantage in a 5-30 vs. a 10-30, or in a full synthetic. There are a whole bunch of vehicles getting 200k on bulk conventional oil from Iffy Lubes to ignore that today's regular oils are up to the job.
Kind of off topic here but - California temps are "pretty steady"? 30F - 115F is steady? Even though the o/p is in San Diego, we still have a WIDE variety of temps. When our weather forecasters do the weather, they have 4 different temps. One for the coast, one for inland, one for mountains and one for deserts.
This time of year it's not unusual for there to be at least a 30 - 35 degree difference between the coast and the desert areas.

Back on topic! :D

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
Kind of off topic here but - California temps are "pretty steady"? 30F - 115F is steady?
+30 to +115?? Wimps! We routinely get -20 Celsius in winter to +30 Celsius in summer, with occasional dips to -40 (C or F; at -40 it's the same thing) and rises to +40 C.

(Rent the Renée Zellwegger pic "New in Town" and listen to the behind-the-scenes commentary just to see how cold it can get here!)

I would, however, still agree that 5W-30 is the recommended oil, and a switch to full synthetic can be done at any time. Other than cost, there is no down side, and there is potential for slightly better mileage numbers, and a slightly lower chance of a camshaft position sensor clogging up - at ANY temperature, by the way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts