Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Read Only
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an '05 TB EXT with the 5.3 and it drives like I'm sailing on the ocean! My mechanic says the front shocks are worn out -- at 36,500 miles!! Isn't that a little early? Anyone else have this issue? Of course, the warranty just expired.:mad:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
At 36,500, your shocks shouldn't be worn out. You should get 80-100k out of them, IMHO.

If they are worn out at 36,500, they were worn out at 36,000. Go back to the dealer and ask them to take care of the problem for you.

Try this test. Go out and push down hard on the back bumper and let go. Does it return to its original height and stop, or does it shoot past a bit and return? If it shoots past a lot, then the back shocks are worn. With my old shocks, it pushed down an inch with hardly any resistance, then bounced back past the starting point about 3/4 inch. I just did it to mine now that it has new shocks on it, and it was very hard to push down at all, and there was no overshoot on the return. I do have the Avalanche shocks on the back.

Do the same for the fronts. With new HD Bilsteins on, my front overshot about a quarter inch, then returnd to the original position and stoped dead. So, my the front suspension is less stiff than the back. A quarter inch overshoot is normal in my experience. If you have lots more than that, or if you get more than one cycle before it stops, then your mechanic is correct.

My shocks currently have about 3k on them.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Many of us upgraded to the aftermarket Bilstein shocks even before the OEM shocks were dead - precisely because the OEM ones were mushy and designed-to-cost instead of performance. I got rid of mine at 9000 miles, ignoring the warranty - I needed better performance. Same for the rear. You might expect to get many more miles out of them - but they stink even when new, compared to a decent aftermarket shock. Don't be confused that the OEM shocks were also Bilsteins. They are perfectly capable of designing a shock that would sell to GM for $5 wholesale and capitalizing on their good name to sucker the consumer.

I'm not surprised at your report, but it gives you more justification to put in the superior aftermarket shocks. You will really not believe the difference once you upgrade. Even if GM caved and gave you OEM warranty replacements, you can do better than that.

Shock Warehouse is a site sponsor and has an ad on the right side with a discount code.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
I changed my original factory shocks sometime after 100,000 miles.
Roads around me are failry smooth.... Im in so.california- so I dont run into severe potholes.
WHen I replaced my shocks 3 were 'ok'.... 100K 0k.... 1 was totally shot.
I could easily compress it with 1 hand.
I ordered from the vendor mentioned above.

·
Read Only
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

Thanks, guys for your advice and info - it's greatly appreciated! :thx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts