Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I've recently inherited a 2003 Trailblazer LS as my main vehicle.
I came from driving a 2005 Silverado 2500HD LT, and the one thing that bugs me about my Trailblazer is it's lack of exterior lights.
I absolutely loved the Silverado's in-mirror LEDs, and I'd like to add similar lights to my vehicle.

I've searched Trailvoy quite a bit and all I can really find is limited info about how to mod the OEM mirrors w/ turn signals to be LED. Mine doesn't have mirror turn signals to begin with and I'm a college puke on a limited budget, so I'd really prefer to go the cheaper in-mirror LED route.
To start, I believe I will be purchasing a set of red sequential LED signals like these.

I haven't had a whole lot of tinker-time with my Trailblazer yet, but what I have found through testing is that the wiring harness that leads to the doors DOES include a turn signal wire (if I remember correctly it's gray on the left and green on the right).
Q1: Before I go tearing off my door panel, does this turn signal wire exist inside the door and perhaps continue on in a wiring harness to a plug near the mirror I could tap into?
If it just dead-ends at the door plug I have quite a bit of work to do...

Q2: Where would be the best place to ground the new signals using as little wire as possible?

Q2: How do I safely remove the glass part of the mirror?
I can remove the fake lens on the bottom of the housing to access the glass part if needed.

I haven't found any clear-cut answers for my first two questions and was hoping I could get some assistance from those of you who have added mirror signals to your vehicle.
From other threads I've found multiple links to a non-existant post by Jman423 which supposedly explains how to get mirror turn signals on a Trailblazer that doesn't have them, so if someone could post a working link or just explain it I'd greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Upon dissecting the mirrors, it appears as though the mod I was planning won't be possible due to the placement of the defroster plugs.

Now, I am looking at adding the OEM mirror turn signals.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
14 Posts
Same Here!

I'm in the middle of doing something like what you are trying to do as well.
Just been researching options so far.
I'm guessing that there is turn signal wiring in the door, because most manufacturers would use the same vehicle-wide wiring harness in all vehicles that went through the same assembly line( cost efficiency).
And because of the heated mirror piece inside, that's why chevy installed the turn signal mounted under the mirror in some models.
So far the only option is to purchase those OEM mirror assemblies with the turn signal. But I did see some options to make that signal, LED.
This is the only info I have come up with so far.
:m2:

PS. The wiring harness stops at the control panel that is included with all the door switches(Electric door locks, power windows and window lock).
Just unplug (from back of control panel) the wiring harness from the existing mirror and plug in the new mirror with the OEM turn signal or LED fabrication.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts