Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about these rock sliders? They look like they should easily fit and are rather cheap. I could possibly talk my friend into making me a custom set since he can weld and what not but it might a lot take more time.

And if you look at the link there are 3 lengths, what size would fit? Do you guys have any of the specs on your custom sliders?

http://www.trail-gear.com/rocksliders.html

Any insight is much appreciated.. :tiphat

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, haven't measured yet, i live in the city and had to park 1/2 mile from my apartment today... sucks. and i'm beat from work and don't feel like walking there now. i need some :sleepy: but i'll check tomorrow. and thats what i'm weary of, with them being so cheap. idk. i'll prob just have my friend fab up a set.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
You need to be concerned about WHERE they will meet your frame. If you mount at a non-reinforced part of your frame, you're just going to bend your frame and crush your rocker panel anyways. Make sure you have someone who knows what they are doing weld your sliders on too. It would be SO easy to mess up the welds down there, and then you would just have decorations welded to your truck.

EDIT, upon further reading, the sliders come with the legs notched but not welded on. So I think this kit could be adapted to fit, but you're probably looking at an additional $200 to get a proper fab shop to weld them together and mount them. Then if you want a powdercoat, that's an additional $200 or so.

Make sure they are also the right length from the frame to the outside of the rocker panel. Too long is good, too short is bad.

And that price seems cheap, but for what little work they did, its probably about right. Mine (albeit custom) were $595 installed with a powdercoat (the guy that made them is willing to make more if you are interested).

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
423 Posts
You need to be concerned about WHERE they will meet your frame. If you mount at a non-reinforced part of your frame, you're just going to bend your frame and crush your rocker panel anyways. Make sure you have someone who knows what they are doing weld your sliders on too. It would be SO easy to mess up the welds down there, and then you would just have decorations welded to your truck.

Make sure they are also the right length from the frame to the outside of the rocker panel. Too long is good, too short is bad.

where on the frame is "the right" place??

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
where on the frame is "the right" place??
I was just thinking about this again... can you guys give measurements/ locations of where your sliders are mounted? Also how long are your sliders end to end.

I want to go with the ones that I first posted about and I can get them towork. My friend is a good welder, just doesn't have a bender so we can make these work for sure.

But I'm trying to fig out which length will best work. 58" seems short but they would fit good if mounted like in their pic. But then I was thinking I could get the longer ones and flip them so the curved side is closer to the frame.. I also don't want to remove the rocker panel if I don't have to.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, yea I have looked at all three of those threads multiple times already... and deffinately some good info but I want a few quick measurements from what I can't see in the pics, but I can get the jist of it for the most part.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,329 Posts
Have that company measure the length of the mounting legs... Even if they are longer then what is needed, i'm sure you guy can cut them to length. As for overall length of the slider... I think Roadie said his were about 72" long...

58" seems like they would be too short, the clearance 78" units would be too long...

To me, you're best bet would be to go with the 67" units...

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,255 Posts
The page even says the legs can be cut to length. Our Rockers are 77" in length:duh:. You should be alright with them as long as you wheel/tire combo doesn't hit. But for the price of $99, I'd be willing to let the fab shop cut an inch off of each side(down to 76") and weld some end plates on.

From the looks of the picture, you may even be able to cut the extra tubing at the end without even thinking about compromising the original structure.:m2:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea i was thinking the same thing about cutting an inch off each side (i've measured a few times to see what the different lengths would look like)... and the legs are meant to be cut to what you need. this is not a problem for my buddy to do.

i just got to figure out with the 78"'ers if i flipped them with the curved side on the inside if it'll clear the rocker panel. like i said before i don't want to take it off, want it to keep a better seal with the doors.

if i can get the 78" ones to fit, that would be a steal at 99 bucks. but i might just go with the 67", not sure yet.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The 78" units are also a 4 leg unit... everyone here who's done sliders has gone with 3 legs. I guess an extra leg per side is a bit sturdier... but is it overkill?

As for flipping... what do you mean??
well you wouldn't have to use the extra leg but if it's there it couldn't hurt...

and what i mean by flipping is mount the legs on the other side of the slider in that pic. with them attached to the tube that is bent, so they would kinda be like JD's how they flow with the lines better but I would more be doing it to get them to fit without removing the rocker like most everyone else has done... like Unkljon, The Roadie

looks like teebes kept his rocker panels but they don't look like they curve down at the wheels.. you get what i'm sayin?

edit: also from lookin at teebes' sliders they look a bit long as well. from his pics looks like they stick into the wheel well a tiny bit.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
from what i have seen most rock sliders are anywhere between the thicknesses of 11Gauge and 3/16" (.120 to .188) but overall for the most part i dont see these being a poor quality (at least from what i can see in the pics...) anything more then a 1.5 foot drop on any steel slyders will bend it... so over all it will more depend on how its welded together and how its welded to the frame...

:m2:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,329 Posts
from what i have seen most rock sliders are anywhere between the thicknesses of 11Gauge and 3/16" (.120 to .188) but they dont list if its DOM (DOM is extra strong and what they use for roll cages) but overall for the most part i dont see these being a poor quality (at least from what i can see in the pics...) anything more then a 1.5 foot drop on any steel slyders will bend it... so over all it will more depend on how its welded together and how its welded to the frame...

:m2:
Actually, it is listed...

Note: All weld-on rock slider are 100% 1035 DOM tubing.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts