Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
846 Posts
How did you take all of these pics? Can I get to these spots from the fender by removing the plastic?

·
Banned
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
144 Posts
In case anyone's interested in doing the Big 3, but doesn't know where to purchase a Big 3 Kit for an I6 TV (or doesn't have the skill/time/resources to make their own), check out this thread in the JeTTTstream vendor forum.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
22 Posts
Debating

Wassup guys.. Finally decide to order my highput alternator from db electrical. It's a 250 amps. My question is if I upgrade would my factory wires for the truck be affected and can I just run a direct wire from the alternator to my isolator then to my battery's in the back ( 2 2400 kinetiks). From reading the posts I see that some of you did the big 3 without even upgrading the alternator.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
My question is if I upgrade would my factory wires for the truck be affected
Nope.

can I just run a direct wire from the alternator to my isolator then to my battery's in the back ( 2 2400 kinetiks).
Alt manufacturers recommend alt to front batt to isolator to rear batt(s). Although I've seen it done the way you mentioned, I can't recommend going against the advice of the guys who build these.

From reading the posts I see that some of you did the big 3 without even upgrading the alternator.
There have been claims that it helps with gauge fluctuation/lights dimming.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
22 Posts
Thanks

Nope.

Alt manufacturers recommend alt to front batt to isolator to rear batt(s). Although I've seen it done the way you mentioned, I can't recommend going against the advice of the guys who build these.

There have been claims that it helps with gauge fluctuation/lights dimming.

Thanks for the reply. I took apart my old wiring yesterday and found that the reason why I was getting alot of dimming all of a sudden is because my wire at the terminal of the isolator was burnt so it wasnt getting good contact. I think I will run the 0 gauge wen my alternator comes. Do you think the stinger isolator and relay 200amps will be compatAble with my 250 ho alternator?:confused:

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
2,006 Posts
Yes overkill is awesome.. I did Jetttstreams big 3 +2 option.. where not only is it the big 3 but also the passanger side head on the LS2 and the driver side coil pack and its drastically changed the SS.. I don't see a voltage drop lower then 13.7V on my voltmeter where as before I was getting as low as 12.4V..

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
127 Posts
So what would a complete parts list look like?

1. battery post adapters (for adding extra wires to the battery) X 2 (1+, 1-)

2. 3 ft. of red wire (from what I've read - 4 ga. minimum)

3. 4 ft. of black wire

4. 6 ring terminals to match wire size used (if color coding - 2 red & 4 black)
(are all the ring terminals to be 5/16th?)

5. 7 ft. of auto-loom

6. depending on method of attaching rings - electrical tape/shrink tubing/solder/crimping tool/various wrenches, ...

Am I close?:undecided
Am I missing something? Shouldnt the Big "3" have three separate wires?
Just want to be sure so I can go buy all the parts.

And if youre replacing the old cables instead of adding to them theres no need for #1, correct?

-CUBE-

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
where did you quote that, cause im not reading 12 pages to find it.

you have one from alt pos to battery, alt case (neg) to bat neg, bat neg to truck frame.

you can add wire or use new wire, its just more wire so it can only help the flow of electrons.

you need wire, battery posts extentions, ring terminals, and if you want a fuse for the pos run.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,339 Posts
What he said.

Am I missing something? Shouldnt the Big "3" have three separate wires?
Just want to be sure so I can go buy all the parts.

-CUBE-
If you notice, I mentioned 2 ring terminals for the positive and 4 for the negative. That black length of wire was to be cut to fit - 2 pcs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
What he said.

If you notice, I mentioned 2 ring terminals for the positive and 4 for the negative. That black length of wire was to be cut to fit - 2 pcs.
ahhh haha my fault, my fault.
so its 3ft of red, 2ft of black, 2 ft of black.

beautiful

-CUBE-

·
Registered
127 Posts
After an enormous shop repair bill that came back to be caused by my incorrect Big 3 upgrade, I wanted to post what I did wrong for any one else out there that may be confused.

Stock, there are two cables attached to the negative on the battery.
One cable goes directly to the chassis (shock tower), and THEN on to the engine block. The other is a small wire grounded to the body just to the right of the battery.

This small cable is NOT part of the Big 3, leave it alone while doing the upgrade.

Remove the cable that goes to the engine block and replace it with 2 cables, one to the engine block, and the other to the chassis.
The third part of the big 3 is the positive cable from battery to alternator.

Just wanted to clarify for anyone else looking to do the upgrade, hopefully you dont make the same expensive mistake I did.

-CUBE-

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
50 Posts
not too sure what wire you are talking about. you get a pic of the one your not suppose to modify? what did they say you did? how much?
Its a very short wire that goes from Batt (-) directly to the frame/body. To simplify his problem, he was getting low fuel pump voltage, causing loss of fuel pressure, because he removed this short ground wire.

So yes, if you only add wiring and don't rip any out, you won't get the same problem. I did the big 3 yesterday, and beefing up this small wire is called the "Plus 2". I did not buy enough ring terminals yesterday, so am going to do this simple 'Plus 2' today when I get them. That and the Batt (-) to Alt frame, which is not part of the Big 3.

For all having a hard time getting to the engine ground on driver side, which is almost unreachable from the top, I took off the drivers side tire and the bolt was right there! Same as the chassis ground on the tower. Not sure how else to get to that ground. I got only a few scraped knuckles :)

101 - 120 of 135 Posts