Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
19 Posts
ok i finally got access to a shop and i got the AC bracket off and the top two bolts on the Alternator off but i couldnt get the bottom ones off.
Any suggestions?
Also i was thinking about how i could do it without taking the alternator off and going around the PCM. What if I just took the PCM off the mounts?

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
ok i finally got access to a shop and i got the AC bracket off and the top two bolts on the Alternator off but i couldnt get the bottom ones off.
Any suggestions?
Also i was thinking about how i could do it without taking the alternator off and going around the PCM. What if I just took the PCM off the mounts?
I would try using a larger ratchet on the bottom bolt for more leverage...or a breaker bar if worst comes to worst.

Removing the pcm won't give you much more room, I wouldn't touch it.:no:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
133 Posts
It really wouldn't matter much, the alt case is attached to the engine block going to the chassis, so you can if you want to, just make sure they are grounded in the same spot.
Where is the alt case ground located? I'm so sorry for the complete noob question but I just cannot reach the factory engine block ground and I don't have much knowledge on our engine bay and stuff.

I also don't know how to get to the positive on the alternator. I don't have a long enough extension for my socket wrench to provide any leverage at all. I don't know how I will do the battery positive to alternator positive part of the big 3 at all.

I honestly feel dumb for asking but I just want to get the big 3 done whenever I can.

·
Banned
4,511 Posts
No questions are dumb bro, a lot of people actually go under the TB to get to the power for the alt, as for the ground, I did mine off the bracket that sits in front of the alternator when I had my 03

·
Registered
133 Posts
I might have to try from underneath. I didn't try before. I don't know if I could reach though since I would have to be lying down. I'll try anyway. I will also check out that alt case. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Where is the alt case ground located? I'm so sorry for the complete noob question but I just cannot reach the factory engine block ground and I don't have much knowledge on our engine bay and stuff.

I ground the alt case using the top/rear alt mounting bolt..iirc a 5/16" eyelet will fit

I also don't know how to get to the positive on the alternator. I don't have a long enough extension for my socket wrench to provide any leverage at all. I don't know how I will do the battery positive to alternator positive part of the big 3 at all.

I have to remove the alt to do it, I don't have the skills:(

I honestly feel dumb for asking but I just want to get the big 3 done whenever I can.

It's better to ask and do it right:cool:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
107 Posts
So i got 1/3 of the big 3 done today, the only one one i coldnt get was the engine block. Does it matter if i do that or can i just leave it how it is?

·
Registered
133 Posts

I ground the alt case using the top/rear alt mounting bolt..iirc a 5/16" eyelet will fit

I have to remove the alt to do it, I don't have the skills:(

It's better to ask and do it right:cool:
I will have to check that out as well. I couldn't go out and look at all today because my dad was using my car all day. I may end up removing the alt to do it too.

I didn't do the engine block
Batt - to alt case
Batt - to frame

Batt + to alt +
This is probably what I will do too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Lucky you got a h/o alt. I just went to autozone and got another battery post extender and 6 ring terminals. I'm hoping to do atleast the battery to frame ground today. I think I will try to take out the alt for the battery to alt but that will have to wait until probably next weekend since school is starting tomorrow for me. I want to solder the wires to the terminals too. Do you think a regular radio shack 30 watt soldering iron should do the job?

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
98 Posts
I want to solder the wires to the terminals too. Do you think a regular radio shack 30 watt soldering iron should do the job?
You will need a plumbers torch to get it hot enough, using 0 to 2ga.
Attached Images

Hmmm... Need some help I want to paste a pic from a previous post I put up. How do I do it?
Anyways the pic is in post 66 of this thread, take a look.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You will need a plumbers torch to get it hot enough, using 0 to 2ga.
Attached Images

Hmmm... Need some help I want to paste a pic from a previous post I put up. How do I do it?
Anyways the pic is in post 66 of this thread, take a look.
Oh. I'm trying to look at your pic but it won't enlarge so I can't really tell much other than a wire connected to a ring terminal with some stuff in the background. Have you done the battery to alt already? If you did about how long did it take you to do?

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
98 Posts
Batt to alt was pita. I did move the bcm, but it didnt help all that much.
I remember that I realy had to crawl ontop of engine to reach the bolt. All said and done 1hr for that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well guys I'd just like to say I finally finished the big 3. I found out a way to get to the alt pos without removing it. Basically all I did was take the ratchet and had the handle pointed downwards to the floor and since there is open space there I had enough leverage to loosen the screw without using an extension. So if anyone is wanting to do the big 3 without removing the alt try that out because it worked for me.

81 - 100 of 135 Posts