Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be upgrading the "Big 3" wires in my charging system, my question is what size stud is the negative wire on at the engine? Couldn't really see down there but maybe someone has pursued this. For those of you that have , what size ring terminals did you use?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
My ring terminal was for 0 guage wire with a 5/16" bolt hole and I had to shave it a little. I used Stinger 0 guage. What are you using?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to go for the 0 gauge also, I figure the size difference between 0 & 1 might as well go for the 0. Did you tap the alternator as well, looks like there's enough room for the big wire against the block also.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
yeah

stright shot to the alternator from behind with the new ring terminal

comming up from the alternator and over to the battery with an ANL fuse holder.

I made a bracket to hold the fuse holder out of some cheap aluminum stuff I had laying around.

engine block ground to chassis

chassis ground to engine block ( front shock tower, see the coil spring? )

battery ground to chassis ground and positive to ANL fuse holder

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the pics...didn't think I could get at the alt while installed. I was actually going to replace the factory ground and remove from the vehicle...dunno yet but I guess the more the merrier. How did you crimp the rings, I would guess a vise. The fuse is a nice touch, I may use one going to the rear but depends if I can keep the big wire far enough away from any metal.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Thanks for the pics...didn't think I could get at the alt while installed. I was actually going to replace the factory ground and remove from the vehicle...dunno yet but I guess the more the merrier. How did you crimp the rings, I would guess a vise. The fuse is a nice touch, I may use one going to the rear but depends if I can keep the big wire far enough away from any metal.
Yeah a vice. I wanted to crimp and solder but I forgot my solder iron at home (I was at work). I just kept cranking till the lever would flex :x and yes the more the merrier.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
is it the kinda time that you lose if you dont use it?

try for the meet on either july 28th if we have that or the one in sept!

Actually I get lucky with my vacation. I'll just get a seperate check for untaken hours if I don't/can't take the time off.

I was thinkin more Sept cause July 28th is off limits right now.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
327 Posts
So the BIG 3 is actually NOT replacing factory wiring but more-or-less ADDING to it.... right?

Sorry, I still consider myself a noob when it comes to that kinda stuff...

·
Registered
2008 chevy
16,008 Posts
the more wire it has to go thru the better off you are so if you add 0gauge to your current wire you will circulate more current faster

1 - 20 of 135 Posts