Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2nd Post

I have searched this site and a few others and cannot find even something close to an answer or where to look. Here goes....It might sound stupid, but...

I have a '03 TB EXT. My wife :weird: , the first time this happened, tried to roll up all four windows at once, and blew the fuse. This caused the A/C fan, dash board, and lights to all go out. She negleted to tell me she tried to roll up all the windows at once so I looked and looked and finally found the fuse under the hood blown. I went and got another, replaced it and WA-LA working again. Lube the channels and away we go. Today she tries to roll up two windows at once, BAM! , blew the fuse. Has anyone else had these problems with these trucks? There is not another dern thing wrong with the truck, and cannot figure out why this is happening. I can roll up all four windows in anything else I own, can even roll up both power windows in my S-10 at the same time, but WTF? I would just know where to start looking, if this has happened to anyone else. This truck is bone stock, no adds, 45k, never wrecked. Anyone have a circuit diagram, ohms for the pwr window motors...something. :confused:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Never heard of this, but she blew the MEGAFUSE (125A!!!) doing all four windows at once? Can you confirm?

The left two doors are protected by a 25A circuit breaker in the rear fuse block - same for the right two doors. Now circuit breakers take a while to blow, but they should be going before the megafuse goes out. Does your wife like to lean on the window switches even after they're fully up or down and stall the motors for a long time? That would be very odd.

You have any extraordinary loads on the rear fuse block like 1000W subwoofers your wife didn't tell you about? ;)

I've got an ammeter I can measure the normal current drawn by a window motor, but that doesn't help you. Most meters don't go above 10A unless you have something special.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, no subwoofers, no amp, no big stereo, not even a DVD. No, the megafuse isn't blown. Its underhood, one of the circuit breakers, 30A in #32 slot, which is for the trailer??? I don't get this. The A/C is out, not the blower, dash, and radio. This is very weird....:crazy:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Fuse #32 ONLY feeds the nearby threaded stud, in this picture I have a ring lug and wingnut on it because I do tow a trailer that needs it connected. Do you have anything on that stud? Blowing that can't take out the AC. And it's not a circuit breaker - it's just a 30V funny shaped fuse. Any trailer brake controllers a goofy aftermarket shop might have misinstalled?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its #32, and there is a wingnut on the stud. Nothing but stock parts, this truck is bone stock, nothing has been changed. Could the circuit breakers be going bad?? Today she tried to roll up the two rear windows...not the two very rear, but passneger doors. The blower does continue to function, but no A/C, no dash, no radio...what about a trailer pigtail. These trucks come with a 7 pin rear trailer that you need an adaptor to connect a 4-5 plug, which we have the 4-5 plug in always....its brand new...:confused:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Is there a WIRE on the stud under the wingnut? The trailer feed wire has an octagonal ring lug, but it ends up feeding one of the 7 wires in the trailer connector that your 4-5 pin adapter will never use.

AHA! I figured it out!

What's the maintenance and ownership history of the vehicle?

I think what's happening is the Megafuse was blown by somebody a long time ago. And they couldn't find a replacement right away. So they hooked up a wire from your TRAILER stud a couple of inches away to a Megafuse mounting bolt.

Whoever did that stuck you with this time bomb. A 30A fuse substituting for the 125A Megafuse! Bastards! Tell me you have something DIFFERENT from this pic of mine up close. Anything feeding from the trailer threaded stud to the Megafuse area? Do you have a meter and can you check continuity on the Megafuse with the battery disconnected?

This would be a first! High level temporary-turned-permanent sneaky repair scumbaggery!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
AHA! Thx. :p You had a very interesting problem. Dr. Gregory House LOVES interesting problems. :woot:

Now who jump started your vehicle with the Megafuse studs and blew it out and hack-wired that for you?!? That's the goof you have to go hurt. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know, but would like to know what the conditions were that made someone do this...:bonk: Now, to figure out how to replace the little bulbs in all the switches on the dash, or figure out how to LED it since these are the irreplaceable lights....:hissy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts