Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done several searches over the last couple months and read hours of threads on power window problems. Today I finally went out to tackle mine but after taking the door panel off and poking around in there for a couple hours, I'm still a bit lost.

Here's what's happening with ours:

The front passenger side power window will go down fine - smooth operation, no bad noises - from either switch. However, it will NOT go up at all, from either switch. Still no bad noises, and you can hear the relay or something clicking in the switches when you try.

And here's the kicker - if you keep trying the switch - EITHER ONE - over and over and over - anywhere from 15 tries to 60 - it WILL eventually go up 100% fine. Again, very smooth, no noises. If you happen to stop holding the switch halfway up, it will stop as normal, and then if you try again it sometimes will continue, other times it will not and you will have to repeart the 15 - 60 tries to get lucky again.

I didn't see this exact problem in any previous threads I could find.

Now upon opening the door up and poking around, nothing seems to far "off". I'm not sure what to look for though. I read lots about a "spool" but couldn't see that. I did see the cables and they were very stiff, which in my readings seems to be a good thing? I could also feel (not see) the pulleys at 2 or 3 corners and the cable was seated correctly in them.

I also pulled apart the connection in the hinge area (PITA!) and everything looked okay there, no frayed/crimped wires, no bad contacts - at least to my untrained eye.

The final time as I had the window down and got success in getting it up it seemed like the cables did "slip" a little bit going towards the regulator motor and then the window went up. Maybe the problem IS in this unseen spool back there? Or does the intermittent working of the window point to something electrical.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to lay out everything I've seen and tried.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Heading back home in a few hours and would like another go at this....

At the very least, if my overall situation has everyone stumped, would someone be kind enough to offer a little more insight into how to access the "plastic spool" that it sounds like might be located in the regulator/motor itself?

Do I have to take the whole assembly out?

And if so, how?

If it all comes as one part, it seems bigger than the hole in the sheet metal of the door interior. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes....power window inop diagnostic aides have been posted
Are these aides "semi-official" documents (member made How-To's, scans from fsm's, etc)? Or do you just mean the many threads with bits and pieces of "try this fuse" or "replacement this" or "test such and such".

Because like I said, I've read countless threads on here and it's really starting to look like my problem doesn't match anything that's been posted before. :worried:

Though there is no shortage of problems with the power windows in these vehicles apparently!

I'll keep posted if I ever figure anything out on this one.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I tried something new and it seems to work.

Even though the passenger side window wouldn't go back up using EITHER switch (d/s or p/s), plugging the driver side controls (DDM?) into the harness on the passenger side worked the very first time and consistently up and down. :woohoo:

This makes zero sense to me since the window still won't go up when the exact same module is plugged back in on the driver's side. So it's not like the passenger side switch is broken or anything, right? :bonk:

But after reading all these threads and seeing how everything in the doors is so interconnected, I guess something faulty in the passenger side control box is causing havoc when everything's plugged in. Way too much going on in those boxes!

I'm guessing my next step is to find another PDM and see if that works...

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
365 Posts
The window switches in modern vehicles are not wired directly to the motor like they have been in the past. The power window motor is operated by a digital controller that is commanded "up/down" by the switch. The controller is built into the door module. When you operate the passenger window switch on either door, via Class II Serial Data, it instructs the passenger door module to run the motor. Your passenger door module is bad since you can connect the driver's door module to it and it works normally. You can get one off e-bay for under $40.

The passenger door module is built into the switch panel, so you just replace the whole thing.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
122 Posts
EXACT same thing happened to me. After going through two different regulators, I finally switched the PDMs and voila! It worked again. I had also lost control on my pass power mirror. Listen to Neelskit, I got mine off eBay for ten bucks. Brand new they're $300+ F'ing ridiculous. Good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help all! :thumbsup:

Last week I found a passenger side control module for a 05 Trailblazer and took the chance it was compatible. $15 at a wrecker 90 miles away so I paid an extra $10 to have it shipped. Got it Monday and hooked it up - success!!!! :)

Being from a TB the trim plate was the wrong shape and also the wrong color, but I figured out how to seperate that and trade it with mine.

Everything appears to be working fine, though the part numbers were different and where the harnesses attach there were some differences in PIN's.

The one difference I did notice is that when I hit the power door lock button on the passenger side (the "new" module) with that door open, all the doors will lock, but then the driver's door will automatically unlock itself. :confused:

Thought it might be a strange imcompatibility between the switches or a programming issue. But then I was wondering if this is just a safety feature that the 2005 model has that my 2002 didn't? Like so the passenger can't accidentally lock all the doors while the driver still has the keys in the car?

At any rate, I'm happy and my wife is even more happy she can use that window now. Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
365 Posts
My '02 does this if you try to lock the doors with the switch and the key is in the ignition- the driver's door locks then unlocks. Door locks and stays locked if the key isn't in the ignition.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My '02 does this if you try to lock the doors with the switch and the key is in the ignition- the driver's door locks then unlocks. Door locks and stays locked if the key isn't in the ignition.
You know, that's probably how mine worked with the old switch too, just never had the occasion to test it. Usually the key would be out of the ignition, it was just in this time because I was testing windows and troubleshooting. :bonk: Probably there so the keys can't get locked in the car too easily. :)

I did some more testing and DID notice something else though. I have a SLT with the memory power seats/mirrors/etc. With the 05 TB switch installed in the passenger door, the passenger power mirror no longer adjusts automatically when I change between Driver 1 and Driver 2. Mirror still adjusts manually fine using the power mirror switch.

I'm guessing there is a difference in the modules depending which options the truck has - heated seats being an obvious one, but apparently these little internal things as well. :confused:

Could make it tricky getting the right part as a lot of yards don't even know what trim level their parts came from, much less if the car originally had certain options.

At the moment no big deal to me because the memory function of the mirrors was screwed up anyway and every time we switched drivers they'd just go way out of whack. But that's for another thread. :)

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
4 Posts
Front Passenger Window Problem same

I am having the exact problem with my frint passenger window. For the longest time it would go down no problem(and still does) when it was time to go up it would need elp or just hitting the switch several times would work eventually. Well now it is down half way and I can not get the window back up.

Do you have a part number for the part that you replaced ?

2003 Trailblazer EXT with 91,000 . Just replaced the motor mounts and it is running smooth ($400) Now they tell me I need a fan clutch.......I can not afford hundreds more to get the window up... Please help

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds pretty similar to my problem.

I don't have the part number available but could take the switch back out of the car and look next time it's handy. But like I said, I just got one of ebay for a different year and model anyway and the numbers didn't match. In my case that worked, $20, problem solved.

Just look on ebay or call local wrecking yards and ask for a front passenger power window switch for Trailblazer/Envoy. You'll just have to make sure they have all the same switches (I don't know if the passenger side has variants?). Trim plate doesn't matter, you can switch that with your old one.

One thing you can check before you go to the trouble of buying a switch to make sure. I unplugged my driver's side switch and plugged it into the passenger side. It put the passenger window up and down flawlessly. That's when I knew for sure the problem was the switch and not the regulator or window off the track, etc.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
4 Posts
I will try the switch

Thanks for the help... After waiting a hour or so, I went out and it went right up......

I have a 93 Silverado that i had a similar problem years ago and I switched the switches and it worked like you said.... I will have to try it on this also.... But it looks much more complicated to get the switch out on this vehicle....And help with that would be appreciated///

Thanks again ........

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
1 Posts
2002 Trailblazer with exact same problem

Have encountered the exact same issue the last few years with our 2002 Trailblazer. FPS power window works fine on way down (with either D/S or P/S control) and is reluctant to go back up ...unless the switch is depressed a gazillion times in rapid succession.

Decided to tackle the problem this weekend and thought to check Trailvoy first. Am glad I did. I never would have thought to use the D/S door module to return the window to the 'up' position. This immediately ruled out fuses, wiring and motor plus anything in the mechanical window lift system.

Noticed the funky power door lock thing happening too.
Guess its been like that for several years as well.

Am going to see about ordering a P/S door module.

Thanks for the help folks!

-wpt-

·
Registered
1 Posts
Driver's side window

My driver's side front window of my 06 trailblazer rolls down just fine, no bad noises at all but will not go up for anything. I do not know if it is the switch because clearly the motor is working if it is going down.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
15 Posts
same problem

my 02 bravada has the same problem so i went and thought of a wire at the door jam because one wore has ground and the other one has nothing so nothing is telling it to do anything. havent tested the drivers switch yet thou. been messing with it for 4 or 5 months now and put 2 or 3 junk yard motors in it since i had to take the old ones out to get the window back up since i didnt fell like using the switch a billion times. :bonk::bonk::bonk::thx:thx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts