Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapped out rack n pinion ,replaced lines,power steering pump.all used parts .bleed system with wheels off the ground.the problem im having is the pump gets hot very fast and starts to burn off residue fluid on pump housing.im on the 3rd pump.2nd pump boiled the fluid in resovoir.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
197 Posts
Back up a few steps. What led to replacing the major power steering components? What brand parts did you use - OEM or aftermarket?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
04 TRALBLAZER ,First problem was rack starting leaking around tie rod end seal,picked one up at local scrap yard and swapped it out.Bled system before starting engine and then started engine to do pressure bleed line blew where it arches over control arm, again local scrap yard nice clean looking lines swapped them out adding an new cooler.Same bleed procedure,power steering pump starts to smoke around housing,so im thinking crap bad pump,local scrap yard again second pump this time gets so hot the fluid boils in tank WTF.Took if off got another blew air through the lines to get ruined fluid out put 3rd pump on and again very hot pump housing .Probably going to answer my own question is it possible when rusty pressure line burst that some rust got in the rack causing fluid flow to be restricted?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
197 Posts
I suspect one of your lines became obstructed with some debris and overpressured the line causing it to burst. The problem with used parts is we don’t really know the history of the system. Someone could’ve thrown a junk rack in that TB or added some sealant to the system.

The proper way to bleed this system involves pulling vacuum on the system with the engine off. There are some methods that involve turning the wheel stop to stop, but this is not always guarateed to work on the system in TB because of the cooler.

Proper diagnosis begins with a pressure test of the rack and pump. You could probably purchase as set online if you don’t already have some, or you may be able to rent some from your local auto parts house. You sound pretty handy, so this is most likely not outside of your skill level if you can obtain the proper set of gauges.

Barring that, I’d recommend getting the vehicle to a reputable repair shop and paying them for about an hour’s worth of diagnostic time. Even if you decide to do the repair yourself, it’s going to be money well spent and far cheaper in the long run for you than continuing to throw parts at it based on “I think” and “someone told me it could be”.

If you get some gauges let me know and I can walk you through pressure testing the system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts